OT:Financial Crisis and us

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 am

pieter wrote:but nobody around me is panicking... or what does panicking mean in this situation? buying less stuff? taking money off the bank?
i agree here, 99% of the people in britain are not panicking in the slightest. the economy is collapsing around their asses and they are STILL talking about the weather and x-factor. This leads me to believe that in the event of a major catastrophe as long as the TV kept broadcasting nobody would give a fuck and just die of starvation in front of police,camera,action 23 or eastenders. At least there will be plenty of juicy human meat :P

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:32 am

Emissary wrote:
pieter wrote:but nobody around me is panicking... or what does panicking mean in this situation? buying less stuff? taking money off the bank?
i agree here, 99% of the people in britain are not panicking in the slightest. the economy is collapsing around their asses and they are STILL talking about the weather and x-factor. This leads me to believe that in the event of a major catastrophe as long as the TV kept broadcasting nobody would give a fuck and just die of starvation in front of police,camera,action 23 or eastenders. At least there will be plenty of juicy human meat :P
A predicted 350,000 job losses in the next 2 years.
Give it time :? :? :lol:

What i'm worried bout is remortging my house in the coming months, i own more than a 3rd of the property, but my original mortgage was self certified which you don't get now... And i made up a hefty salary for myself :lol: So what happens?!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:48 am

I thank all for the answers and points of view.
My Idea of 'Small' company is based on the number of employees.
Ableton falls in that category.
As many of you pointed out a reset is needed. We shall base our lives on what
we really need we won't spend money that we do not have anymore.
I think this will slow the economy and the 'small' companies, that rely on their own customer's ecosystem, might suffer damage. I have some friends that work for banks and they told me frankly that this is only the beginning. The next round will be lack of credit lines to the industry. Giving credit will be considered risky and so companies will stop investments in what has been considered a commodity. I think the IT companies will suffer a big hit. Company can run the business without renewing IT systems and so I think we will see many layoffs. In turn companies will look for efficiency and will reduce heads as well. I hear many people that are skeptical about government aids. Maybe it's the only way to teach a lesson.
However I agree with forge. This will pass.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:16 am

Emissary wrote:
:lol: There's probably some truth in that.

@pieter: panicking in a financial sense (anything from the cost of general living expenses, loans, mortgages, performance of investments, etc. to job security), not in a 'running-wild-down-the-street-screaming-obscenities' sense, although there has recently been a significant increase in the 'running-rampant-on-internet-forums' sense.
..?

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:33 am

Pasha wrote:As many of you pointed out a reset is needed. We shall base our lives on what we really need we won't spend money that we do not have anymore.
It might start off that way but we'll eventually go back to our old habits - this isn't this first time and won't be the last.
I think this will slow the economy and the 'small' companies, that rely on their own customer's ecosystem, might suffer damage. I have some friends that work for banks and they told me frankly that this is only the beginning.
Many small companies have already gone under.
The next round will be lack of credit lines to the industry. Giving credit will be considered risky and so companies will stop investments in what has been considered a commodity.
This is and has been happening for a while, we're deep into it.
I think the IT companies will suffer a big hit. Company can run the business without renewing IT systems and so I think we will see many layoffs. In turn companies will look for efficiency and will reduce heads as well.
Totally agree, many banks, etc. are not renewing contracts for IT contractors and are making redundancies - the previous bank I worked for will be going through a 33% reduction in the next few weeks.
I hear many people that are skeptical about government aids. Maybe it's the only way to teach a lesson. However I agree with forge. This will pass.
It will definitely pass, but the question is how painful will it be? Unfortunately nobody knows and that's the scary part :(
..?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:56 am

Had we all been responsible, this wouldn't have happened.

Things will be better on the other side of the forced values readjustment. Perhaps those materialistic folks among us will then realize what's really important in life.

And it ain't the big house, the 4x4, and the 50" LCD TV.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am

hambone1 wrote:Had we all been responsible, this wouldn't have happened.

Things will be better on the other side of the forced values readjustment. Perhaps those materialistic folks among us will then realize what's really important in life.

Sais the man living it up in abu dhabi who's spunked rakes of cash on musical equipment :lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:04 pm

jeskola wrote:

Sais the man living it up in abu dhabi who's spunked rakes of cash on musical equipment :lol:
That I bought without credit...

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:06 pm

hambone1 wrote:
jeskola wrote:

I'm jesting :? :lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:09 pm

jeskola wrote:
hambone1 wrote:
jeskola wrote: Sais the man living it up in abu dhabi who's spunked rakes of cash on musical equipment :lol:
I'm jesting :? :lol:
:lol:

And I'm hardly living it up... keeping my head down, working hard, and keeping the proceeds under the bed!

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm

beats me wrote:I think this all goes back to when somebody decided after a certain amount of time that a chicken is worth a cow. So all these people are freaking out because they can no longer make loads of money by doing jack shit and their chicken is still worth a chicken.

I'll stop there before I start sounding like I am quoting out of Hitler's playbook.
Haha, that's a great way of putting it.

House prices in the UK have been ridiculous for years now (and were still rising until recently) and I remember in an article about it a year or so ago they said "you could buy a mansion in Tallahassee for the price of a 2-bed terraced house with fox poo patio in England". :wink:

The people that are moaning now are the buy-to-let people - inspired by all those day-time tv programmes about property no-doubt - that can no longer just sit back after painting the walls and see themselves saw money off.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:18 pm

fatrabbit wrote:
beats me wrote:I think this all goes back to when somebody decided after a certain amount of time that a chicken is worth a cow. So all these people are freaking out because they can no longer make loads of money by doing jack shit and their chicken is still worth a chicken.

I'll stop there before I start sounding like I am quoting out of Hitler's playbook.
Haha, that's a great way of putting it.

House prices in the UK have been ridiculous for years now (and were still rising until recently) and I remember in an article about it a year or so ago they said "you could buy a mansion in Tallahassee for the price of a 2-bed terraced house with fox poo patio in England". :wink:

The people that are moaning now are the buy-to-let people - inspired by all those day-time tv programmes about property no-doubt - that can no longer just sit back after painting the walls and see themselves saw money off.
Ha ha...I toally agree about people watching daytime tv of flip this house and whatnot and thinking I could do that...I just gotta get myself a quick mortage and a couple gallons of paint, put a granite countertop in the kitchen and make 30k.

Im looking for a place to live in Vancouver area and rentals are insane. I get the feeling that alot of people bought condos for over inflated prices and now are trying to rent them out to cover the cost of thier mortages. The problem is that nobody wants to pay that much. Ive even seen ads where people are renting out their bedrooms and sleeping in the living room to help cover their monthy payments. Now thats what i call living beyond their means.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Interesting to see so many people say it'll all be alright after house prices have reset to a reasonable level. Well, yes that's fine if you don't own property or bought a decade ago.

But what about the poor buggers who put all their cash into an overpriced shoe box? They'll be paying that back for 20 odd years, unable to sell or remortgage as they are in massive negative equity. I guess they were all being greedy trying to invest in a home.

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:09 pm

my wife and I are real estate agents, and I can tell you while there are greedy agents and lenders, we are not one of them. The main problem we have encountered is people want to buy what they can't afford - everyone wants granite countertops, stainless appliances and all that other stuff but they don't want to pay for it. Unless we are forced to live within our means no one will learn anything.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:32 pm

andydes wrote:Interesting to see so many people say it'll all be alright after house prices have reset to a reasonable level. Well, yes that's fine if you don't own property or bought a decade ago.

But what about the poor buggers who put all their cash into an overpriced shoe box? They'll be paying that back for 20 odd years, unable to sell or remortgage as they are in massive negative equity. I guess they were all being greedy trying to invest in a home.
to be honest anybody who bought a house in the last 5 years deserves everything they get. Its this obsession young people have about going it alone (like the tv and magazines tell them to do) and the social stigma attached to living with ones parents. People would rather destroy their lives and own their own home than suffer mild embarrassment, so fuck em.

i lived with my parents while all my fuckwit friends went out and bought houses. They constantly beat down on me as a bit of a loser, even when i explained about the fact that the housing market was bound to collapse at some point. Now i just go round to their houses and laugh at the stress they all have. ........yeah i'm not the greatest friend when it comes to "i told you so" moments. :lol: :lol: