what do you *actually* expect in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Abzurd

Post by Abzurd » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:48 am

No massiveheadpain live 8 wont but SongFrame will...

http://www.tanageraudioworks.com/Products/SongFrame

LOL
HP Pavilion dv7 1.60GHz i7 Laptop, 4 gigs uh ram, 1.5TB external drive, M-Audio Ozonic.

xherv

Post by xherv » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:02 am

Chang wrote:I would like to see Drumrack overhauled with 2 things it seriously missing imo. First, a purge function so you can throw tons of sounds into it and midi sequence and once you've gotten your song going you can hit purge and all sounds not being used in a midi sequenceclip will disappear and clean clutter out. The second, get rid of the create a track for every sound brought in and make it like everything else where you can assign which sounds to which channels you want to create. A channel created for every sound automatically was not well thought out imo and a total pain. You end up with 5 hi hats you'd normally have grouped to one stereo track all now with their own channels to make a cluttered overdone mess of channels. Especially when you've got many sounds loaded in.
Both of these things can be done now with drum racks inside of drum racks. In the example of a lot of hits, you can move the keepers into a drum rack inside of the master drum rack and then just mass delete everything outside of it.

In the example of separate channels, make separate drum racks for kicks, snare, hat, etc. within the master drum rack - when you move things around drum machine handles it pretty well. This will let you process related hits on a single channel after the secondary drum machine.

I do agree this could be handled a little more forcefully, drum racks could use a little bit of tweaking here, and I think they cross into the concept of instrument rather than rack in a few ways that means they could use a GUI that's not as tightly bound to the idea of a rack as it is now. Getting the most out of drum racks has not been as obvious to me as some other features in live.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:46 am

xherv wrote:
Chang wrote:I would like to see Drumrack overhauled with 2 things it seriously missing imo. First, a purge function so you can throw tons of sounds into it and midi sequence and once you've gotten your song going you can hit purge and all sounds not being used in a midi sequenceclip will disappear and clean clutter out. The second, get rid of the create a track for every sound brought in and make it like everything else where you can assign which sounds to which channels you want to create. A channel created for every sound automatically was not well thought out imo and a total pain. You end up with 5 hi hats you'd normally have grouped to one stereo track all now with their own channels to make a cluttered overdone mess of channels. Especially when you've got many sounds loaded in.
Both of these things can be done now with drum racks inside of drum racks. In the example of a lot of hits, you can move the keepers into a drum rack inside of the master drum rack and then just mass delete everything outside of it.

In the example of separate channels, make separate drum racks for kicks, snare, hat, etc. within the master drum rack - when you move things around drum machine handles it pretty well. This will let you process related hits on a single channel after the secondary drum machine.

I do agree this could be handled a little more forcefully, drum racks could use a little bit of tweaking here, and I think they cross into the concept of instrument rather than rack in a few ways that means they could use a GUI that's not as tightly bound to the idea of a rack as it is now. Getting the most out of drum racks has not been as obvious to me as some other features in live.

Thanks you! But I have question I don't understand. I make instrument rack and then I bring in 3 impulses for instance and load each of them down with 8 samples each. I then go up and create MIDI clip and it only shows me the notes of one of the impulses. How can you make it so when you have 3 impulses in an instrument rack and you create clip how can you see ALL sounds on all 3 impulses at the same time and trigger them all together?

Please help.