new macbooks dont have firewire? alienating musicians.. wtf.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:06 pm

For a lot of people the only difference between the MB and MBP was a smaller screen at a substantial price difference. Maybe Apple also wanted to widen the gap with more than just a price difference.

vicz

What's the problem?

Post by vicz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:18 pm

You can still buy the original Macbook or Macbook Pro 17" or the new Macbook Pro, both with Firewire.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Mike Goodwin wrote:That is pretty wild. Apple the friendly company for artists. What a load of garbage. Apple is brutal.
Brutal? eh..

Cant you just get an express card with firewire ports?

Seriously dont get the problem here. FW800 to FW400 cable for the pro, and a FW express card for the macbook.

vicz

Afraid not...

Post by vicz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:45 pm

..no Expresscard slot on new Macbook (or old one) :(

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

ze2be wrote:
Cant you just get an express card with firewire ports?

Seriously dont get the problem here. FW800 to FW400 cable for the pro, and a FW express card for the macbook.
yes, the problem is ... they took away the firewire and the way to ADD firewire, that's why it's so boneheaded.

I was in the market for a macbook to replace my Asus, but I would have no way to run my fireface OR my Echo Indigo, so I think I'll stay with the Asus for a while longer. A music computer with no music coming out of it - that ain't much fun!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:03 pm

surely it pisses off more than music peeps, there are lots of people out there who just LOOOOVE gadgets and need to have them connected all the time. on the flip side I can't imagine anyone being happy about this other than the bean counters at Apple.

me thinks this line of macs will go down in near term history as the one not to get.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm

My 4 month old MacBook, 2.4, WITH firewire is looking sweeter than ever.

With Applecare this one should last (at least) 3 years. After that, if it's still only the MBP with FW, then Apple can fuck off, unless I'm feeling a lot richer then than I am now. And in the mean time, I won't be buying any Apply-only stuff. Wankers.

PS anyone got a crack of Logic they wanna send me? Ta.

PPS left feedback already

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Again, there are other options from refurbs to MBP. I don't know why people think Apple owes it to them to give them what they need on their cheapest model when they provide other options as well as other hardware options available. There are plenty of USB devices out there that can suit your needs.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:17 pm

mrsakitumi wrote:nope, thanks for the info.
But even so, on my Macbook pro I use the FW400 port for my motu and FW800 port for my external HD.
I know you can also use the expresscard slot for an external HD, but it's nice to still have both FW ports, especially considering how much you pay for a Macbook Pro.
with both connected, your only running a buss speed of 400 total (not 800 and 400). There was only 1 firewire buss and 2 ports that share it. If you really want 2 firewire buses, you need a card adapter.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:18 pm

beats me wrote:Again, there are other options from refurbs to MBP. I don't know why people think Apple owes it to them to give them what they need on their cheapest model when they provide other options as well as other hardware options available. There are plenty of USB devices out there that can suit your needs.
not to mention the mac mini is still a wondeful cheap option with firewire.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:26 pm

liveISlife wrote:The world sure is going to shit these days. What a joke that is not to have a firewire port on the macbook. I mean really, what a sick fucked up joke.
Being an apple freak since over a decade, I have to admit that I am totally pissed off and disappointed... What the hell a mac without FW.
*** Image GAFM ***

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm

beats me wrote:For a lot of people the only difference between the MB and MBP was a smaller screen at a substantial price difference. Maybe Apple also wanted to widen the gap with more than just a price difference.
heading into a recession alienating customers by trying to force them to buy the expensive one they don't need just doesn't seem like a smart business move to me

Almost all Mac using musicians I know have Macbooks without the pro on the end

Bad move Apple.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm

beats me wrote:There are plenty of USB devices out there that can suit your needs.
you can paypal me to replace my MOTU UltraLite, 2x external HD's and an iPod thank you very much.. :wink:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 pm

beats me wrote:Again, there are other options from refurbs to MBP. I don't know why people think Apple owes it to them to give them what they need on their cheapest model when they provide other options as well as other hardware options available. There are plenty of USB devices out there that can suit your needs.
Hahahaha this must be a joke, especially on this forum. :D
Show me a list containing "plenty" of decent USB audio interfaces with more than 4 channels.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:43 pm

My guess is they do the same thing they did with the first macbook pros and re-introduce the 400 port. First line of macbook Pros didn't have any FW 800 port.

They make mistakes like any company.

What would really make sense is to include the express card on the macbook, and allow the user to choose the extra ports they want by buying a FW 800 - 400, or eSATA card or a USB 2.0 card etc. Plus it would future proof them when/if the next version of USB comes out.