new macbooks dont have firewire? alienating musicians.. wtf.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I agree this is really bad timing given the economy but I'm way more disppointed in their last 2 announcements that has nothing to do with lack of a firewire port on the MB.

Macrumors needs to shut the fuck up. I am ignoring them from now on.

But does anybody NEED a new laptop right this moment?? If Apple didn't make this announcement and release, which they didn't need to, then I think most people would be perfectly happy buying the last Macbook model for the next year. And you still can. In the refurb shop. For even cheaper.

And then over the next year start replacing your firewire crap with usb junk. Problem solved.

Mike Goodwin
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Toronto Can.
Contact:

Post by Mike Goodwin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:07 am

I just cant believe how people will defend Apple computers. They are not inexpensive computers. They simply should have the "standard" connections that come with computers at this time. I am not a mac user but if I was things like this would piss me right off.

stonee
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am
Location: halifax, NS Canada
Contact:

Post by stonee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:22 am

beats me wrote:I agree this is really bad timing given the economy but I'm way more disppointed in their last 2 announcements that has nothing to do with lack of a firewire port on the MB.

Macrumors needs to shut the fuck up. I am ignoring them from now on.

But does anybody NEED a new laptop right this moment?? If Apple didn't make this announcement and release, which they didn't need to, then I think most people would be perfectly happy buying the last Macbook model for the next year. And you still can. In the refurb shop. For even cheaper.

And then over the next year start replacing your firewire crap with usb junk. Problem solved.
I need a new laptop now for my music, and more importantly video editing.
EVERYTHING in the TV industry is fw 400. I was looking forward to the prospect of having both the 800 port and 400 port.

the point is, is no matter what, YES i can probably find workarounds to use my stuff, but its going to be potentially expensive, and certainly more difficult than the current generatation.
why would i buy something that's any amount more complicated?

also, find me usb equivalents to my current. devices.

usb equivalent to my motu ultralite, including the 4 internal bus's and routing options.

moreso,

the first thing we learn in tv school is the usb protocol is usless for streaming video.

unfortunatly, apple's decision leaves an intire industry forced to turn to pc to maintain the options that we currently use.

so, that counts out a usb external HD.

also, find me a broadcast camera or capture deck that uses usb.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:35 am

I'm mostly just being devil's advocate on this. I went through far worse than this when Apple ditched serial and SCSI for USB and firwire. The day I bought that G3 I could no longer use my external hard drives, printer, scanner, modem, digital camera, MIDI interface, or audio interface. And there were no other options for six months after I bought it.

I know not everybody is doing this but I find it kind of funny when people are "I do professional quality music production and high end film editing with only the best gear. And I want to do all this on the cheapest low end laptop that Apple makes. Come on Apple!!"

stonee
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am
Location: halifax, NS Canada
Contact:

Post by stonee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:58 am

beats me wrote:I'm mostly just being devil's advocate on this. I went through far worse than this when Apple ditched serial and SCSI for USB and firwire. The day I bought that G3 I could no longer use my external hard drives, printer, scanner, modem, digital camera, MIDI interface, or audio interface. And there were no other options for six months after I bought it.

I know not everybody is doing this but I find it kind of funny when people are "I do professional quality music production and high end film editing with only the best gear. And I want to do all this on the cheapest low end laptop that Apple makes. Come on Apple!!"
ironically, the lowest end mac laptop still has fw 400...

all of my teachers, and everyone I've seen in the industry owns a macbook pro.

as well, final cut pro is an industry standard, and mac only. so now, mobile editing will be out for me, without buying a pc.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:13 am

I'll quit hopping on this thread and being the mouth piece for Apple. I know this move has seriously bummed some people out.

My only suggestion is to maybe save up a little bit longer if you can and get a Macbook Pro. And get this generation. I heard the next Macbook Pros aren't going to have a monitor or keyboard :D

sparklepuff
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am
Location: Brooklyn

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 am

When the new 17"s come out they better have everything plus the fucking kitchen sink thrown in. I want 4 cores in my laptop, motherfucker.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

stonee
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am
Location: halifax, NS Canada
Contact:

Post by stonee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 am

beats me wrote:I'll quit hopping on this thread and being the mouth piece for Apple. I know this move has seriously bummed some people out.

My only suggestion is to maybe save up a little bit longer if you can and get a Macbook Pro. And get this generation. I heard the next Macbook Pros aren't going to have a monitor or keyboard :D
as long as it has my beloved firewire 400 port, thats ok, :lol:

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:36 am

stonee wrote:
beats me wrote:I'll quit hopping on this thread and being the mouth piece for Apple. I know this move has seriously bummed some people out.

My only suggestion is to maybe save up a little bit longer if you can and get a Macbook Pro. And get this generation. I heard the next Macbook Pros aren't going to have a monitor or keyboard :D
as long as it has my beloved firewire 400 port, thats ok, :lol:
:D

OvertoneZero
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am

lol wut?

OvertoneZero
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:46 am

NWO conspiracy imo

onslaught
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by onslaught » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Well it's not a space issue cause there's a spot right there for a Firewire port. F-off the lock slot and put in FIrewire!
More detailed pics at ifixit.com


Image
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

adventurepants_
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 am

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm

onslaught wrote:Well it's not a space issue cause there's a spot right there for a Firewire port. F-off the lock slot and put in FIrewire!
More detailed pics at ifixit.com


Image
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
its more than a physical slot. you need space for the controller, it has to have power routed to it on the motherboard, blah blah blah.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

rikhyray
Posts: 3644
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:13 pm
Contact:

Post by rikhyray » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23 pm

stonee wrote: final cut pro is an industry standard, and mac only. so now, mobile editing will be out for me, without buying a pc.
No, it is not.,never been. It is just stilly Apple marketing and propaganda. FCP is really nice and developed over the years but the real industry standard was and is Avid.
I find the idea of working with video on macbook - which never had proper graphics ridiculous. MBP is called pro for reason it is meant, build for such purpose. I am no Mac fanboy, honestly do not think they alienate themselves from AV professionals, I dont know any pro not using MBP for pro use. Macbook is for girlfriends or mom.
Save some cash and get MBP or get pc and you might discover that Sony Vegas is faster, smarter then hyped FCP. Frankly only software making it worth to boot XP on Mac..

onslaught
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by onslaught » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:05 am

adventurepants_ wrote: its more than a physical slot. you need space for the controller, it has to have power routed to it on the motherboard, blah blah blah.
Agreed. I'm sure the Apple engineers are clever enough to fit it in that small area.
Either way, if there is space or not, it should be re-designed to accommodate a Firewire bus/port.

Post Reply