Seeking an Ableton PC interface with audio and MIDI

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AM_PM

Seeking an Ableton PC interface with audio and MIDI

Post by AM_PM » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:16 pm

Hi all

I want to link up my Ableton laptop PC with those of two other musicians and playing together, synchronised with MIDI Clock and via MIDI leads, with one PC controlling the BPM of all three. It's for live techno

Can anyone recommend an interface which will give me:

- one+ MIDI in and out pair
- at least two separate audio output channels (one for playing, the second for headphones, for monitoring)

Is USB worth avoiding, as some seem to suggest? WHat else is better?

Thanks

H

Meffy

Post by Meffy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:13 pm

I don't know about problems with USB but I ended up picking the M-Audio Firewire 410 because its features fit my wants, the price was right, and Firewire is a bit faster than USB.

1 MIDI in, 1 MIDI out, 2 headphone jacks w/ separate colume controls, two analog inputs (switchable between front, phone/XLR, and back panel, phone jacks), 8 analog outputs (back panel, phone jacks), plus electronic and optical S/PDIF in and out.

With all those inputs and outputs this model might be overkill for you. M-Audio makes smaller and larger versions of the same thing, as well as USB boxen. Check out Zzounds.com, audioMIDI.com, etc. to see their product line.

One caution: hot-swapping Firewire devices has been reported to cause damage to some kinds of equipment. I plan to shut down my machine before connecting or disconnecting Firewire/IEEE 1394/iLINK goodies in the future, just to be on the safe side.

Meffy