When do I use the different types of crossfader?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kevin Rothi

When do I use the different types of crossfader?

Post by Kevin Rothi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm having trouble figuring out what the different options for the crossfader do. The manual isn't too illuminating on the subject.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:16 pm

it just changes the fader curve, meaning the behaviour of the transition between x and y

take two tracks, and move via the x-fader between them and change the x-fader settings... moove the fader always slow and listen.... you will find out.
*** Image GAFM ***

Kevin Rothi

Post by Kevin Rothi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Ok thanks!

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:03 pm

if u use a midi mixer with a cross fader and upfaders, the crossfader curve options determine whether the crossfade will go from A to B without fading from A-B, or will determine if going from A-B will fade A, when moving toward. For scratch djs (most likely not using ableton), u want to b able to cut A-B without any fading, so that u can do things like transformer scratches, which involves moving the fader quickly from A to the middle of the fader without moving all the way to B, and therefore u hav no fades, but really quick cuts in the sounds which u do whilst moving the record at the same time. i recommend using the upfaders to use whilst mixing anyways. even in ableton i might b useful to do fast cuts whilst mixing and the do fade outs of a track using the upfader.