Installing EIC 2 - Uninstall EIC 1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dn83

Installing EIC 2 - Uninstall EIC 1?

Post by dn83 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Hey guys, I'm about to install EIC 2...should I remove EIC 1 or just 'append' the installation of EIC 2 on top of EIC 1? (Looks like the same instruments from EIC 1, just more GB...?) Thanks.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 pm

I installed EIC2 over EIC1, and it asked me if I wanted to update the "duplicate" packages (or something like that).
I said yes to the ones that asked... most of them, but not all.

Done.
Probably doesn't matter a lot. I haven't read definitively that EIC2 contains 100% of EIC1, so I figured this would be the best way to guarantee legacy project support. It's worked fine so far.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Could any of you give me some words about how good the EIC2 is?
I am thinking of buying it as it is quiet cheap and i would like to have some classic stuff (violins, cello...), so is it a bang for a buck? Or not THAT amazing?

dn83

Post by dn83 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks.

Haven't had time to try EIC 2 yet, but EIC 1 is pretty good...I'm guessing they're quite similar. It sounds pretty good, but in my opinion, it's lacking certain playing styles and not all instruments/playing styles are also offered solo. For example, there's no solo staccato cello...actually, now that I look, there is no staccato playing style at all for strings. =\ Oh well...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:43 am

It is a very basic set of bread and butter sounds. Like what you would get in a keyboard like a Korg Karma etc. Except less variations. And some of the patches hog the CPU.

It sounds relatively OK. Similar to Reason's Soundbank and Orkester bank, although Reason's piano is a lot less CPU intensive. The strings are OK, about on a par with Reason. Buried in a mix they are OK. But for anyting more subtle, you might want to look at the OIC, or East West or VSL, even a synth like Atmosphere has some useable string stuff for pads.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dn83

Post by dn83 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:03 am

Yeah, sorry...meant to say that...it's a basic set of instruments. If you want extensive samples that would include a staccato solo cello, per my example, you'll have to get something more expensive...

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:33 am

Ok, thanx for sharing your opinions. Would love to play around with a demoversion just to see if it would fit my needs or if it just isn´t enough.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:12 pm

mr.adl wrote:Could any of you give me some words about how good the EIC2 is?
I am thinking of buying it as it is quiet cheap and i would like to have some classic stuff (violins, cello...), so is it a bang for a buck? Or not THAT amazing?
Hehehe.
Never really used it.
I've got a bunch of hardware, and already a full batch of virtual instruments, some of which are my "go to" bunch, so I haven't found myself going for any of them.

I auditioned EIC1 when I got Live 6. It was alright, I suppose. It's integrated, for what that's worth.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume