All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:09 pm 

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 5
MaxMSP intensive course for beginners ONLINE this summer! 3 college
credits through Massachusetts College of Art and Design. Can be taken from
anywhere on earth via internet. Starts July 5. For more information:
http://www.jeweltone16.org/SoundWithMaxMSP

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:01 am 

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 5
and PS -- I am not a bot!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9644
Location: Seattle
OK I'll come out and say it, $1,830 is far too much for an online course, period.
Great idea, greedy execution, hence the dead silence here. :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:42 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:58 am
Posts: 931
Its 930$. 1800$ is part of a MSc program.

Do you know any other online Max courses with university credits?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:10 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm
Posts: 4864
Machinesworking wrote:
OK I'll come out and say it, $1,830 is far too much for an online course, period.
Great idea, greedy execution, hence the dead silence here. :|


I think you may be looking at it in comparison to most online tutorials or online "courses" that have no college credit involved. Even if it were $1800 that would be pretty close to the high end of what people are paying for a three credit hour course at some state universities. So it's pretty standard, not greedy.

The dead silence is because it's already a thin niche market, being a Max course, and because most college students don't look outside their institutions for courses they might not otherwise be able to get. And then there's the problem of whether the university they hope to graduate from will accept the credit. Even less likely for them to look for such a course here.

_________________
Unsound Designer

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:44 am 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9644
Location: Seattle
stringtapper wrote:
I think you may be looking at it in comparison to most online tutorials or online "courses" that have no college credit involved. Even if it were $1800 that would be pretty close to the high end of what people are paying for a three credit hour course at some state universities. So it's pretty standard, not greedy.

I just find it crazy that a course online can cost $930 what with it being ultra specialized and with a wide range of possible students etc. 100 students = $930,000.00! but I find the mark up on education sad and brutal in general. What exactly is a Max/MSP college credit going to give you anyway? The shear lack of audio related jobs where an accredited degree in Max is required or is a bonus is staggering. :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm
Posts: 4864
Machinesworking wrote:
I just find it crazy that a course online can cost $930 what with it being ultra specialized and with a wide range of possible students etc. 100 students = $930,000.00! but I find the mark up on education sad and brutal in general.


$930 would actually be about $100 less than three credit hours at my school (a southwestern state school with the largest college of music in the U.S., a place that does have comp professors who are adept with computer music programming, btw). So depending on where you are it might be a deal.

Machinesworking wrote:
What exactly is a Max/MSP college credit going to give you anyway?


The target audience is likely a music student who might need some elective credit and is interested in Max but isn't at a school where they can get any real instruction.

Machinesworking wrote:
The shear lack of audio related jobs where an accredited degree in Max is required or is a bonus is staggering. :|


Nah, no one is giving degrees in just Max programming (yet?).

_________________
Unsound Designer

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am 

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 5
Less expensive, only $555.
http://pce.massart.edu/courses/spring/sim/index.shtml
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group