:D

maxinemaxer

Re: ONLINE MaxMSP beginner course - sum. '11 - 3 college credits

Post by maxinemaxer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:01 am

and PS -- I am not a bot!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm

OK I'll come out and say it, $1,830 is far too much for an online course, period.
Great idea, greedy execution, hence the dead silence here. :|

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Its 930$. 1800$ is part of a MSc program.

Do you know any other online Max courses with university credits?

Thanks

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:10 am

Machinesworking wrote:OK I'll come out and say it, $1,830 is far too much for an online course, period.
Great idea, greedy execution, hence the dead silence here. :|
I think you may be looking at it in comparison to most online tutorials or online "courses" that have no college credit involved. Even if it were $1800 that would be pretty close to the high end of what people are paying for a three credit hour course at some state universities. So it's pretty standard, not greedy.

The dead silence is because it's already a thin niche market, being a Max course, and because most college students don't look outside their institutions for courses they might not otherwise be able to get. And then there's the problem of whether the university they hope to graduate from will accept the credit. Even less likely for them to look for such a course here.
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:44 am

stringtapper wrote: I think you may be looking at it in comparison to most online tutorials or online "courses" that have no college credit involved. Even if it were $1800 that would be pretty close to the high end of what people are paying for a three credit hour course at some state universities. So it's pretty standard, not greedy.
I just find it crazy that a course online can cost $930 what with it being ultra specialized and with a wide range of possible students etc. 100 students = $930,000.00! but I find the mark up on education sad and brutal in general. What exactly is a Max/MSP college credit going to give you anyway? The shear lack of audio related jobs where an accredited degree in Max is required or is a bonus is staggering. :|

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 am

Machinesworking wrote:I just find it crazy that a course online can cost $930 what with it being ultra specialized and with a wide range of possible students etc. 100 students = $930,000.00! but I find the mark up on education sad and brutal in general.
$930 would actually be about $100 less than three credit hours at my school (a southwestern state school with the largest college of music in the U.S., a place that does have comp professors who are adept with computer music programming, btw). So depending on where you are it might be a deal.
Machinesworking wrote:What exactly is a Max/MSP college credit going to give you anyway?
The target audience is likely a music student who might need some elective credit and is interested in Max but isn't at a school where they can get any real instruction.
Machinesworking wrote:The shear lack of audio related jobs where an accredited degree in Max is required or is a bonus is staggering. :|
Nah, no one is giving degrees in just Max programming (yet?).
Unsound Designer