1/2 the population of the state lives in anchorage 250,000

i'v made many trips to homer. you can camp right on the beach. 4 hour drive

and i'v met the eagle lady

thats cool that there was a show on homer
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

forge

Post by forge » Fri May 12, 2006 5:58 am

it was about the Eagles - being the US national emblem - and how in the lower 48 they are down to something like 400 breeding pairs, but in Alaska they are almost viewed by some as a pest

IT's a show on ABC (australian broadcasting corp) called foreign correspondant

it looked mad, and I guess gerhardt, Robert et al must have a warm fuzzy feeling to know that their program is reaching such far flung reaches!

:lol:

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri May 12, 2006 6:26 am

Robert even came and played here

was epic

small mountain town, old ass building, very nice sound system
130 people

dude eagles are everywhere

not even a big deal to see em

i have a bunch of chain reaction records...which is why i got into ableton!

forge

Post by forge » Fri May 12, 2006 12:04 pm

they had a bit where they went into a big general store and were looking at guns. My girlfirend was really surprised "they can just buy guns like that?"

I had to point out to her that in Alaska, you could actually run into a bear or a moose so it's kind of a neccessity (didnt need to go so far as to show her the old rotten.com man mauled by a bear pic...)

the eagles looked huge - wouldnt fancy bumping into one with it's tallons out.....

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri May 12, 2006 8:12 pm

i may as well chime in here...

homer is a cool town, isolated and small YES, but very relaxing and laid back. for me it fits the bill. we're kindof seem as the bohemian town in ak so we get a lot of musician and artist types. there are a lot of really talented people who are drawn to the lifestyle this kind of town provides. absolutley a must-see for anyone who appreciates nature and beauty. national geographic land. though most of alaska is beautiful and unique in its own regard...

regarding the techno scene in homer. no scene really, just a dude who loves techno and using ableton in a healthy and laid back environment. of course we have internet so i don't feel totally isolated. plus i more than get my fill of people and cities and culture when i travel.

regarding eagles. a fuckload to say the very least. if you want to see a funny bit on them, check out ed helms' report on the daily show w/ john stewart. in a nutshell, he makes the shitheads look like shitheads (there's a few) and gives the impression that homer is some podunk alter-universe of ultra weirdness, which, truth be told isn't too far off the mark. you have seen the eagle lady. she's quite a character.

regarding guns. alaskans like their guns. i don't currently own one but if i wanted, i could very likely get one within the hour :twisted: . I've had several bear and moose encounters (actually had a brush with a problematic black bear in my tent in girdwood after the p-funk show 8O which was the only time i really wished i had a gun). other than that, if you have a good head on your shoulders (or 2 pitbulls) you should be fine. they're animals after all and somewhat predictable if you do your homework. as long as you don't do anything utterly stupid like try to cuddle their babies, rub bacon over your body or compete for their food source, you should be fine. but of course, shit happens.

regarding robert in girdwood. i wholeheartedly agree. epic. just what alaska needed. drove 3.5 hours up for the show. saw the show, drove 3.5 hours home through the night. what a treat.

regarding AUSTRALIA. much love. i flew into brissie to visit my brother who studied at lismore for a year. we drove down to tassie and did the overland track and it was in hobart where i met my lovely girlfriend. good times.

mmmm boags, cascade....

phew.

cheers,
drew

forge

Post by forge » Fri May 12, 2006 11:13 pm

dhilsabeck wrote: we drove down to tassie and did the overland track and it was in hobart where i met my lovely girlfriend. good times.

mmmm boags, cascade....

phew.

cheers,
drew
wow...this is where the small world thing happens...I grew up in Hobart!

I might even know her!

The city is a pop of about 120,000 - greater pop 250,000 - not huge but not tiny

It's a great place, I often think I'd like to be back there, but it's *relatively* isolated (relatively because it's only an hour flight to Melbourne) but it's an island so it feels cut off and work etc can be a problem

but in a way I think of it a bit similar to Australia's version of AK although it doesnt quite get as cold! but in terms of rugged wilderness etc

wait a minute I'm telling you all this and your GF is from there!

so used to having to describe it!

guess it's for Mike's benefit

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon May 15, 2006 8:58 pm

forge wrote: your GF is from there!
my bad. my girlfriend is not from hobart. we just met there. she's actually a belgian who was staying at the pickled frog the same time i was. sorry for being misleading.
forge wrote:but in a way I think of it a bit similar to Australia's version of AK although it doesnt quite get as cold! but in terms of rugged wilderness etc
...wineglass bay 8O

tasmania rules. can't wait to return

cheers,
drew

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri May 19, 2006 10:04 pm

hey mike,
just got the cannibal vinyl in the mail yesterday.
thankyouthankyouthankkyou.
there's just something nice about getting that distinguishable shape in the mail... :D

i llke the tracks, a nice fit in my collection. what was the deal with woody mcbride collaboration? i went to school about an hour away from the twin cities so i've got at least one w.b. record. esp or something. doesn't matter. midwest techno...nasty.

anyways, thanks again. i owe you one. or two, i guess.
cheers,
drew

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat May 20, 2006 5:07 pm

glad you got the wax!

enjoy