Promote your gigs or events.

Would you use Ableton-Linux?

Yes! Ableton-Linux would be nice :)
84%
No, I'm a windows noob -.-
16%

Total votes: 202

alex.the.forge

Re: Should Ableton have support for linux??

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:57 am

ibdk wrote:If Ableton for some reason added Linux, I'd hate to be in tech support. Just getting all the audio and device drivers to work under Linux, if even possible, would be a nightmare. Is the graphics library that Ableton uses even available in Linux?
+1

it will never happen. There is no way on this earth that it would be in Ableton's interests to do this.

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 am

ibdk wrote:If Ableton for some reason added Linux, I'd hate to be in tech support. Just getting all the audio and device drivers to work under Linux, if even possible, would be a nightmare. Is the graphics library that Ableton uses even available in Linux?
it was not very difficult to install my m-audio fast track pro under linux with wine.
and i think the graphics-library ableton uses in windows is not available under linux. but it's also not available under mac :wink:

and of course there are not many musicans using linux. but why? because steinberg, ableton and co are not supporting linux. why should you use an os when you can't use your important programms on that os?
i'm really sure that there will be more musicians using linux if ableton would support it. because windows is bullshit, a (good) mac is for many to expensive and linux runs on a pc and is free.
i own live 8 but i evan would pay a little bit for a crossgrade to live 8 on linux.

r00t

Post by r00t » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Yes, I've been waiting for Ableton, or Reason for linux for ages. For now the best software I've ran into is LMMS, since it supports windows VSTs through wine!!! but it gets buggy/stable version to version so u got to find a stable setup.

As for linux ableton, please do so, I can easily help create a market for DJs wanting a Super stable DJ rig, with Ableton + Linux Laptop. May it be an Apple or PC, I bet I can sell a more stable DJ rig setup on Ableton Linux than Ableton OSX

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 pm

JuSchu wrote:
it was not very difficult to install my m-audio fast track pro under linux with wine.
and i think the graphics-library ableton uses in windows is not available under linux. but it's also not available under mac :wink:
and if ableton would use the qt-library it would also be no problem. that library is crossplatform from win, over mac, to linux.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:03 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:
+1

it will never happen. There is no way on this earth that it would be in Ableton's interests to do this.
you know, porting live to linux could mean custom dedicated boxes running a slimmed down linux booting straight up to live. custombuilt audio computers, straight from ableton themselfes.

id buy one. how about you?

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:39 am

friend_kami wrote:you know, porting live to linux could mean custom dedicated boxes running a slimmed down linux booting straight up to live. custombuilt audio computers, straight from ableton themselfes.

+1

Stormrage

Post by Stormrage » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 am

dont forget, linux is based on unix, as well as osx, so it wouldn't be hard to make ableton for it.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 am

Stormrage wrote:dont forget, linux is based on unix, as well as osx, so it wouldn't be hard to make ableton for it.
That's about the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.

stefan-tiedje

Post by stefan-tiedje » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I definitely would use it. Though, I work mostly with Max/MSP, so this would only make sense, if Max/MSP is running on Linux as well. But cycling said already, to make Max run on Linux would be way less effort, than the port to Windows was. The library cycling is using is cross-platform...
I am a long time Apple user (started with an Apple II compatible back then...), but Apples business strategies are pissing me off more and more. I wouldn't hesitate to switch completely to Linux. All Software I use, except for Max and Live, is completely cross-platform (Lyx, Thunderbird, Firefox, Office). Even my MacOS 9 emulators would run on Linux...;-)
I never really considered to actually use Windows, I need to fire it up sometimes, but thats enough for me, nothing to do serious work on. But thats solely a matter of taste...

I bet it will take some more years of a constantly growing Linux user base to encourage the software vendors to try the switch. But if that happens, it will cause a flood of change. This will astonish Microsoft so much, that it will bring them to a halt...;-)

The amount of support, my computer-newbie friends need since I installed them Linux, is diminished at least to a tenth, of what they had needed with windows. I still regret, that I brought my father to Mac OS (much earlier). In the mean time its more support demanding than Linux. But if you teach an old man something new, you won't do it again without good reason...;-)

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

Stormrage

Post by Stormrage » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:07 pm

well i dont see why collecting similarities between linux & osx would be ignorant, ofc they arent the same, but very similar, in fact, would be much easier to port osx ableton to linux then port osx ableto to windowns and maintaining it...

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:40 pm

friend_kami wrote:you know, porting live to linux could mean custom dedicated boxes running a slimmed down linux booting straight up to live. custombuilt audio computers, straight from ableton themselfes.

Yes. Immediately.

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:35 am

mojofunk wrote:

Yes. Immediately.
+1
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

toupeira

Post by toupeira » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:05 pm

It would be nice to have an official statement if they are even considering a Linux port.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:12 am

toupeira wrote:It would be nice to have an official statement if they are even considering a Linux port.
Do you seriously need a statement???

You already know the answer. C'mon. Deep down you know this.

toupeira

Post by toupeira » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 am

seattletruth wrote:
toupeira wrote:It would be nice to have an official statement if they are even considering a Linux port.
Do you seriously need a statement???

You already know the answer. C'mon. Deep down you know this.
Well excuse me that I'm not as pessimistic as you ;-) I know it's unlikely, but even if they don't consider it at all it would be nice to know the official position on this.