Problem with Rewire and Time Signatures

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
freefall5

Problem with Rewire and Time Signatures

Post by freefall5 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi - I'm rewiring Live with Logic - working on a track in 5/4. Live refuses to understand the time signature and remains in 4/4. If I run the track in standalone Live it plays in 5/4 no problem.
I've noticed that other people have posted about this but no one seems to suggest a reason - and whether there is a solution.
It looks like the issue has been around for a long time - so I'm surprised Ableton haven't addressed it.

terrapin69

Re: Problem with Rewire and Time Signatures

Post by terrapin69 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:59 pm

I don't think it's Ableton's fault; it's actually a rewire limitation.

I had the same problem with syncing to a track in 6/8 in Pro Tools, but the same should apply to Logic. My solution was to ignore the barlines in Live, and concentrate on the note divisions. If your clips are in 5/4, just use your five times table to work out where the start of your bars are (5, 10, 15, etc quarter notes), and map this against the 4/4 shown on the arrangement display. So 1 bar clips will start at beat 1 of bar 1, beat 2 of bar 2, beat 3 of bar 3, etc. In my case, I had to do my six times math with eighth notes.

I find that each note subdivision is played exactly in sync.

It's something of a workaround, but it works for me. Hope it works for you too.