0.12 the Copy but No Paste ALERT

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Chris J

0.12 the Copy but No Paste ALERT

Post by Chris J » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:57 pm

you copy a section, if you do certain actions before pasting, like pressing stop to go back to zero , or click on a marker to go at a specific position, there's no pasting, it's gone from the RAM.
annoying
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Crash

Post by Crash » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:34 pm

I had similiar experiences in earlier version. You don't even have to do anything, it can even fail if you just pressed CTRL-C/CTRL-V in too quick a succession. If you have a look at Live's RAM consumption via Task-Manager you will notice that the Copy action will reserve RAM anyway. And since Live doesn't release most of the RAM that it reserved once upto the point that Swapping begins to happen even with an empty Set, it's simply wasted for nothing.

Live's Memory Managment or better to say Live's memory garbage collection is practically non-existant. Copy&Paste issues are just part of far worse issues concerning memory.

Live keeps filling and filling and filling and filling RAM until you completely shut it down and start it anew. That becomes a big time problem when using very RAM intensive Live features like Drum Racks (very intensive) and additionally need RAM outside of Live for something like standalone applications (ever tried to run a Sampler with Swapping happening)? :?
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Gurulogic

Post by Gurulogic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:47 am

Yep!

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:25 am

(on windows)

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am

the RAM handling might be dodgy after a while, but in that case it happens straight away afer launching.
Never experienced that before

Crash

Post by Crash » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:22 pm

I meant to say the Copy&Paste is part of a bigger picture within Live's questionable memory handling. I sure hope they fix the Copy&Paste behavior, but even more I hope they fix their whole memory handling.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:16 pm

hey Michael , wrote you about this one too, is that spamming ?

[mid]

Post by [mid] » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Chris,

your mail came in today and you got an answer.

We'll investigate this and if we can reproduce it we'll place this on our internal bug list.

Thanks!

Best,
Michael
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

jok

Post by jok » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Chris,

there´s nothing wrong with with Copy&Paste, it just functions as specified:
Before your can paste anything, the insert mark needs to be in focus.
If you click the Global Stop Button, the focus is on the transport, you can´t paste anything to the transport.
If you click a marker, you can see that the focus is not on the track anymore but on the marker.

Simply click into track display to place the insert mark, you´ll be able to paste anywhere. Nothing is lost in the RAM.

Best regards,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:03 pm

While Live is busy with Copy or Paste operation of memory intensive tracks the keyboard controls don't work anymore until some time after the operation is completed. That means you cannot use cursor-keys, del, space and neither ctrl-v (Paste on Windows).

The mouse on the other hand is still perfectly useable, including chosing Paste operations while the keys are still disabled (that is why I wrote "some time after").

I reported problems with that as early as last January but obviously no one at Ableton took a closer look at it since then.

jok

Post by jok » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:23 pm

just for the record:

chris j´s copy&paste case: solved.
for further questions, please contact support@ableton.com
timurs reply: technically non-related trolling

thread is closed

*a note to the reader: we strongly hope to avoid being forced to close threads for this reason in the future

jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com