All mp3's say "file xx.mp3 could not be read" help

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Simmo

All mp3's say "file xx.mp3 could not be read" help!

Post by Simmo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 am

Hi all,

I've recently bought a new laptop (PC - Vista x64). I'm getting an error message whenever I try to import any mp3 into Live (7.0.3) - it says

"File xxx.mp3 could not be read. It may be corrupt or not licensed." (where xxx is the filename)

This applies for all mp3's, including mp3s that worked fine on my other PC under live 7.0.3.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, Simmo

jok

Post by jok » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi Simmo,

please download and install the latest update, Live 7.0.12, from here:
www.ableton.com/latest_versions

Furthermore, I would recommend to install the latest update of Quicktime by Apple. Can you still reproduce the problem thereafter?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I found the problem:

I had the Decoding Cache (temporary folder) set to my Ramdisk (Cenatek Ramdisk VE), setting it back to a hard disk location fixed the problem.

The problem I have is that I get audio breakup under disk access (because the SATA chipset locks up the pci express bus during access) - a really useful option in Live would be to automatically load samples into RAM rather than disk (instead of having to manually tell Live to do it for every sample in a tune).

Cheers, Simmo

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:41 am

Simmo wrote:a really useful option in Live would be to automatically load samples into RAM rather than disk (instead of having to manually tell Live to do it for every sample in a tune).
This would be rather dangerous for the RAM handling of your machine - therefore this is an option which requires user action.

Best,
Christian

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:46 am

kleine wrote:
Simmo wrote:a really useful option in Live would be to automatically load samples into RAM rather than disk (instead of having to manually tell Live to do it for every sample in a tune).
This would be rather dangerous for the RAM handling of your machine - therefore this is an option which requires user action.

Best,
Christian
Ah ok no probs, thanks for the info though Christian

Cheers, Simmo