Recording from keyboard into ableton. No sound!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
gemini

Recording from keyboard into ableton. No sound!

Post by gemini » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi all,
Some pretty basic questions here. Hope someone can help!

I'm trying to record my microkorg into ableton. I'm using a behringer U-control audio interface. When i record in ableton i see the waveforms but when i click playback i get no sound. no sound at all. Any ideas??

Related questions:

1) I have my audio and midi interfaces hooked up from the keyboard to the computer at the same time. This shouldn't be a problem should it?

2) I can select the behringer UC-202 in Ableton's ASIO preferences but there are exclamation marks in this tab. What do they mean?

Many thanks,

G.

gemini

Post by gemini » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:31 pm

So I've more or less gotten around that problem but it doesn't seem like i'm doing things optimally. Basically I record the audio from the keyboard while listening through an external amp. then I go into ableton's preferences and switch the audio device option from behringer (my audio controller) to 'sound reality asio driver'. This is a pain in the ass and seems to turn on my in-built mic as well. Do i really have to go fiddling around with the audio input options just to hear playback?

I'm sure this is a really dumb question but i didn't seem to figure it out from watching the tutorial.

Thanks.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 pm

Not quite sure if thats the problem, but are you using multiple audio interfaces?
ASIO drivers support multiple audio interfaces which you can then activate/deactivate in the input/output config.

The exklamation mark means that the channel number of the previously selected driver has changed. i.e if you use the DX/Wave driver of the U-control you only have output channels 1/2. If you then select the ASIO driver 1/2 might be the other audio interface and the behringer might be 3/4. Then you'd have to change the master out to channels 3/4 so the sound is sent to the same output.

dom

Post by dom » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Forgive me if this sounds silly, but you don't actually mention that you connected speakers to your Behringer interface - they only seem to be connected to your build-in soundchip?

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

gemini

Post by gemini » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Dexes wrote:Not quite sure if thats the problem, but are you using multiple audio interfaces?
ASIO drivers support multiple audio interfaces which you can then activate/deactivate in the input/output config.

The exklamation mark means that the channel number of the previously selected driver has changed. i.e if you use the DX/Wave driver of the U-control you only have output channels 1/2. If you then select the ASIO driver 1/2 might be the other audio interface and the behringer might be 3/4. Then you'd have to change the master out to channels 3/4 so the sound is sent to the same output.
I only have the one audio interface plugged in.
Yes what you're saying about the exclamation marks does seem to make sense. thanks! As a related question: What would i need to do if i wanted to be able to use ableton live while also listening to audio in windows explorer or media player? At the moment i get no audio from any other source on my computer while ableton is running.
Last edited by gemini on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gemini

Post by gemini » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:34 pm

So far I have been using either headphones or external speakers plugged into the korg. I have a headphones jack in the behringer but i don't see much point in it.

I just don't feel like i'm doing things right when once i'm finished recording I have to remove the behringer as an audio interface from the preference tab just to hear playback. If i record a piece of audio from my keyboard i can't just press stop and then press. If i play i just get waveforms but no sound. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for you time! :)

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:53 pm

gemini wrote:So far I have been using either headphones or external speakers plugged into the korg. I have a headphones jack in the behringer but i don't see much point in it.
?

Then how do you expect to hear what Live's recording?

ew

dom

Post by dom » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:02 pm

gemini wrote: I have a headphones jack in the behringer but i don't see much point in it.
Ewistrand is right, technicallly there's a strong point as long as the Behringer is selected as your audio output driver:
The device you choose as your audio output, will, weil, output your audio.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

gemini

Post by gemini » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 pm

ah cheers guys. Yeh you were right. I can hear playback if i plug the headphones etc. into the audio controller itself. For some reason I was thinking that the controller was configured for inputs only and that I'd hear the recorded audio from my computer soundcard. No doubt I'll be back with another dumb question in the coming days. ah, baby steps...
Last edited by gemini on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gemini

Post by gemini » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:20 pm

---