Apogee Duet latency on macbook pro c2d?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
pirco

Re: Apogee Duet latency on macbook pro c2d?

Post by pirco » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:20 pm

hi.

I've got a 2.16GHz MBP with 2GB RAM and the apogee duet. I also have the RME multiface II with expresscard34.
did extensive testing with latency (as a drummer, I can't live with more than 10ms and that's stretching it).
and although the multiface produces less latency, I made a strange discovery: the pops and clicks and hisses that happen when you go below the "safe" sample buffer rate are more acceptable with the duet!
in other words, using live's CPU emulation at 80% I had to set my sample buffer at 192 in order to get a clean test tone. (at 44.1kHz which produces about 13ms latency). but when I played with some "heavy" software instruments (lots of effects), it actually works at 176 sample buffers.
which brings the latency down to about 10ms. if I play a big drum roll across toms and cymbals, processor goes up to 60%+ and I can hear faint crackling. not acceptable for recording but I'm using this for live performances and it's simply acceptable.
the RME crackling/hissing/pops would just screw up everything.
anyway.
my testing also showed amazing latency numbers for the built-in soundcard but those seem to be theoretical values. once I started playing heavy software instruments, I got latencies of 18ms+.

final note: make sure to turn off all networking (wireless card!!). close all apps to save processor power.
oh, one more: for recording, the apogee also gave me the lowest driver error compensation: less than 1ms!
Macbook pro (2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM), Multiface II & HDSPe ExpressCard, Ableton Live (w/Session Drums), Roland TD-10 vDrums

square_push

Re:

Post by square_push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:17 am

snowtires wrote:i have this problem when i'm running another program that uses audio, in the background. like, if i have live open and then go to youtube to watch a video, it pops like crazy. the only way i can get the pops to stop (when audio is playing) is to close both live and the web browser and only open live. i guess it's a problem with the duet, i don't know, but i used to have an m-audio project mix and never had anything like this happen
I'm seeing the same exact problem. Did you ever find a solution? Running an Intel iMac with Duet and Logic 8.0. When running other audio applications I hear clicks and pops. I do not hear this when running Logic on the same computer and sound card.

Thanks.

square_push

Re: Re:

Post by square_push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 am

square_push wrote:
snowtires wrote:i have this problem when i'm running another program that uses audio, in the background. like, if i have live open and then go to youtube to watch a video, it pops like crazy. the only way i can get the pops to stop (when audio is playing) is to close both live and the web browser and only open live. i guess it's a problem with the duet, i don't know, but i used to have an m-audio project mix and never had anything like this happen
I'm seeing the same exact problem. Did you ever find a solution? Running an Intel iMac with Duet and Logic 8.0. When running other audio applications I hear clicks and pops. I do not hear this when running Logic on the same computer and sound card.

Thanks.
Sorry, I meant to say I am running "an Intel iMac with Duet and Ableton Live 8.0".

merges

Re:

Post by merges » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 am

taoyoyo wrote:I wondered if there had been any developments with the Live v Duet issues people have been having in terms of poorer than expected latency?
unsure, but to add a little note: i have a good MBP 2.1Ghz or so; 2GB RAM. i just got a Duet to try out and i can't get glitch-free recording, even at 1200 sample latency, which is as far as i'll go with it... going to return it. it sounds great, it's alright for playback, although its latency requirements are unfortunate compared to other brands, even motu. however, apogee's drivers seem fairly unreliable and that doesn't bode well... it seems that it just works for some people, and very much not for others.

pirco

Post by pirco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 am

hey, I'm running the same set up, it seems – 2.16 Ghz C2D with 2GB of RAM.

I simply restart my computer before every session I do. that seems to free up the processor from a lot of background processes. and I turn off wiFi and sometimes reduce color depth of the monitor. all in order to allow LIVE and apogee the most processor bandwidth.

and I haven't had a problem since.

BTW, my buffer size is 77 samples (at 44.1kHz)
Macbook pro (2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM), Multiface II & HDSPe ExpressCard, Ableton Live (w/Session Drums), Roland TD-10 vDrums

merges

Post by merges » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 am

rats. i can't believe that apogee would engineer this device and its driver so poorly as to require that much coddling by the user… restart, turning of all other processes? even cheap gear from motu and edirol records cleanly at better latencies, nevermind more expensive stuff from apogee and others.

i was finally able to get a clean recording, in an EMPTY project, at 2048 samples latency with the duet. i think this thing is going back to the store; too bad, it sounds great, very clean. but it's more or less useless for recording for me.

and the fact that it's so inconsistent from user to user is a big strike against it. be forewarned! this awesome-sounding device may not work out if you're considering it :)

pirco

Post by pirco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 am

with all respect to your specific situation, after all my testing – which included the much more expensive RME hammerfall, a couple of motu's, and mackie's as well – this duet is perfectly suited and performs at least as well as all the others!

I have to resort to those measures described above only if I'm running a real heavy set (lots of effects and software instruments). for a typical rock-band set-up, it's not even an issue anymore. (I'm churning through a 12 track LIVE session right now without a hick-up).

I'd consider a few things on your end, too. remember, the duet uses the same audio interface as the bigger ensemble does. just only one instead of 8. it's really top-notch quality.

unless you got a lemon (which they should exchange).

I'm just saying that you should give it a second chance. I have no relationship with them but I did go through 3 months of testing before I settled for the duet (there were a few issues to consider for me, incl. portability).

anyway, good luck.

=p

merges

Post by merges » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 am

yea, it's a great-sound device and very portable, etc. but it's kind of surprising that i'd have a lemon solid-state device, especially given how i've narrowed the problem. it's possible that there's something specifically wrong with my computer. but other interfaces are fine? so i'm gathering it's got something to do with the interaction between live and its driver. i've more or less squeezed all other potential sources of cpu "distraction." oh well, i'll go with another for now and hopefully be able to give it a shot again in the future. maybe if they release a "quartet" ;)