Desperate need of help: Ableton Live 6.0.7 and Evolution UC-

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Tyrexionibus

Desperate need of help: Ableton Live 6.0.7 and Evolution UC-33E

Post by Tyrexionibus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Hello there,

I'm an Ableton 6.0.7 user that is experiencing big trouble when using Evolution UC-33E.

Going straight to the point, the fact is that no MIDI signal is received by Live.

The UC-33E is linked to my MacBook Pro via an USB cable that also powers it up.

I've tried almost all possible combinations of INPUT/OUTPUT - TRACK/SYNC/REMOTE with no effective results.

The UC-33E is recognized by Live (in fact it appears in the "CONTROL SURFACES" list and also MIDI DEVICES), but when I go into MIDI mapping I cannot assign any knob/slider/fader to anything.

Live also tells that it has 2 in- and 1 out-port, but is that true?? I see only 1 MIDI out and 1 MIDI in.

How do I set the UC-33E up to work with Live 6.0.7 ?

Do I need a MIDI cable ? Or is the USB one sufficient ?

What do I need to set in the CONTROL SURFACES box ?

Help !!!!!!

:(

Thanks in advance!

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi,

It should work ok with just the USB cable - no separate midi cable needed. In Live's midi preferences, just to get it working try disabling all the midi outs, and enable the track and remote for both the midi-ins for the UC-33 - there should be two entries in the midi port list: "UC33e Input" and "UC-33 USB MIDI Controller".

Then if you turn a knob on the UC-33e you should see the square icon in the uppermost right corner of Live's screen flash to indicate incoming MIDI Track in.

Also, why not update live to v6.0.11 to eliminate any problems there?

Edit: maybe also try resetting the UC-33e? Check its manual, but I think it's something like holding down the + and - keys while powering up.

Tyrexionibus

Post by Tyrexionibus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Hello 8O and thanks for your answer.

This is what I see:

CONTROL SURFACES (Name - Input - Output)

USB O2 - USB O2 - N/A

UC33e - UC33e USB Controller (Port 1) - N/A

UC33e - UC33e USB Controller (Port 2) - N/A

=========================

MIDI DEVICES (Track - Sync - Remote)

Input: FireWire 410 - ON - OFF - OFF

Input: USB O2 - ON - OFF - OFF

Input: UC33e USB Controller (Port 1) - ON - OFF - ON

Input: UC33e USB Controller (Port 2) - ON - OFF - ON

Output: FireWire 410 - ON - OFF - OFF

Output: USB O2 - ON - OFF - OFF

Output: UC33e USB Controller (Port 1) - OFF - OFF - OFF

==========

No MIDI signal received with this configuration.

What am I doing wrong ? :(

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Yup, you Live midi preferences all look exactly right. Same as I have in my working configuration with my UC-33e.

So, has it ever worked, or has it just recently stopped working? The UC-33e is getting power ok - the LCD display is lighting up? Try a different USB port on your MBP?

Is the MBP one of the latest ones from Apple? There was a recent post on here with a user whose MIDI controller didn't work with the MBP USB port, but only via a powered USB hub. Maybe worth investigation? Also, try that UC-33e reset I mentioned...

Tyrexionibus

Post by Tyrexionibus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:23 pm

The answer was:

BAD UC-33E CONFIGURATION

resetting to factory defaults has solved all issues (as far as I've experienced so far).

Problem seem to be solved, I'll post again if more issues will come.

Thank you for your help 8 O !

:)

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Result! Have fun! :D

Raychem

Post by Raychem » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 am

Hi, simular problem here:

Live 6.0.11, uc33 and mk449 keyboard, work on my mac and other DAW on windows but not in Live.

I've tried every possible and impossible setting in the midi preferences menu and still don't get a signal in Live.

So, both uc33 and the keyboard work in other DAWs on windows and Live on mac but how do I make them work on Live on windows?

And btw, both of them used to work until just few days ago.

Edit:
It might have happened after I was working on a track when Live suddenly crashed and I had to rewrite my password to get it working again.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 am

Hi - have your Live midi preferences changed at all? Feel free to post your settings as Tyrexionibus did above. Interesting that it happened after a Live crash - maybe you can also try deleting the preferences.cfg file for Live and redo your midi settings, see if that fixes it.

# Windows (Live 4 and laster versions) C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Ableton\Live\Preferences
# Mac OS X: /User/Library/Preferences/Ableton

Raychem

Post by Raychem » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Works now, I just had to install them. It's just weird because they used to work and they both work on another DAW. But thanks for the help!