7.0.14: static and crackling

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
l-rs

7.0.14: static and crackling

Post by l-rs » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi,

I just upgraded my Live 6 tot Live 7 and was playing around with it.

I haven't changed anything to my setup, but I have a lot of noise, crackling when I play around with the new sidechaining feature.

Old sets play fine though, where I use non-native sidechaining vsts. Live 6 plays fine, same settings, same drivers et cetera.

My studio pc is brandnew: Core 2 Duo 3,0 GHz with 4 gigs, Windows XP SP3.

Soundcard is the ESI ESP1010 with latest drivers, ASIO 2.0. The CPU never goes over 10 percent, even during crackling. I'm pretty sure it's not a CPU issue.

I noticed that for instance Albino crackles just by playing pads (no sidechaining or anything); this was/is no problem in 6 either.

I've played around with the buffer but to no avail. It played fine with 6, why must upgrades always be so effing problematic? :x

I really like the way side chaining is handled in Live 7, but with crackling it's unusable...
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

jok

Post by jok » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi I-rs,

do you use the latest version of Live 7 (7.0.14)? Does the crackling only appear in conjunction with 3rd party plug-ins?

Please contact support@ableton.com with your log.txt attached.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

bulo

Post by bulo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Problem here also since the upgrade from 6 to 7.
Everything eats lot more cpu than before in 7, but ALSO in 6!!
And now I even cannot play sets made before the upgrade.
I'm on a new laptop, fresh install...
Before uprgrading I was around 55% in the cpu bar with the Live 6-7 performance test... now it cannot be play (more than 140%)!!
What happened?
C2duo 2,16 ghz, 2.5 gb ram.
WTF?!!
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

jok

Post by jok » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi Bulo,

the CPU usage in Live 7 is only slightly higher than Live 6, so I assume you are facing another problem.
Do you use 3rd party plug-ins in your set? If so, which ones? Please contact support@ableton.com with your full specs as described here:

http://www.ableton.com/pages/support_contact

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm

I have sent stuff to support this weekend, so haven't heard anything back yet. I'll wait if they find anything. I use the latest version.

But while I was playing with 7, I had occasional spikes to over 100% in a newly built set, that didn't contain much (drums that influence a simple padlike sound in MinimogueVA).

Almost seemed like some kind of feedback in one of the plugins. But Albino crackles without any effects (native or not) so it might be a driver issue or something?

There aren't any newer drivers on ESI's site (and they work fine with 6). I had a backup of my Library before I let 7 upgrade it :roll: so I could return to 7 without much trouble. So that's good.

With some renaming of Library folders I can switch between versions, but won't be able to solve this and move to 7 permanently without support I'm sure.

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Heard nothing from Ableton yet, not even a confirmation to my e-mail. :(

Been busy with tweaking settings in 7 (even though 6 works fine with the same drivers)... crackling still like hell, cpu never indicates more than 13 percent.

I have deleted the preferences file, played around with the buffer/latency (it's now at 64 with a superlow latency) but 7 crackles and is annoyingly unstable.

It now crashed with "A serious program error has occured. Live will shut down after this message box is closed".

If I'd had known what a world of hurt this 'upgrade' was I could have saved me the 99 dollar upgrade from 6 to 7! I have no guarantee whatsoever that 8, when it comes round, won't be as buggy and unusable as well.

Pretty disappointed, since I really like the intuitive and simple way side chaining works in 7. Also pretty annoying, I have one track with a cool bassline and pad in 7, that I now can't work on in 6... since they're incompatible formats.

"A more advanced version of Live" they call it I believe. HAHA.

Excuse my rant mode, I'll sign off now and go to the pub. :x

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Me again: the pub was great. ;)

Anyway - I noticed a lot of people complaining of problems with 7.0.14 but "worked fine in 7.0.10" comments.

I scoured the internet for that version (there aren't any previous version on Albeton.com I could find?)

But long story short: no setup changes and NO problems in 7.0.10 with exactly the same set! No crackles or weirdness.

Had to unlock it with my 7-serial for some reason, but at least I know this is a) fixable and b) not something with my setup.

Hurrah, et cetera!

Now, weirdness... what was in 7.0.10 that got broken in 7.0.14?

harryem1

More noise about noise

Post by harryem1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:02 am

I get terribly loud static while playing an instrument -usually bass- through a PreSonous Inspire interface into a Live audio track. This happens quite a few minutes into the take, and the noise occurs when I play for the next 10 - 20 seconds. It happens with no effects on the track, as well as with effects I usually have other things going -drum clips etc.- but cpu usage usually around the 20% range, or less. But for these 20 seconds, it's as if I get the static rather than the instrument i.e. if I don't play, there's no static.

I'm fairly new to Live, so I'd appreciate any advice. I don't know if this fits into this conversation thread in that I'm on LIve 7.07. Had that problem already been solved?

Other facts: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz / 2 G memory. I believe I've gotten the noise with guitar through the same interface. Sample rate: 44100; Buffer size: 128 samples.

Harry