Drum rack hi hat pedal

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
DiGiTaLFX

Drum rack hi hat pedal

Post by DiGiTaLFX » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi

I was reading up on session drums and in the blurb it mentions the possibility of using a hi hat pedal for open/closed hats. I was just wondering how I would go about setting up the same feature in my own kits, as I cant seem to work it out or see anything obvious.

Many thanks

DiGiTaLFX

jok

Post by jok » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi DiGiTaLFX,

not totally sure I understand you right, but if you want to program a closed hat sound that is cutting out an open hat one, then you need to set a choke group: you can do this in the Drum Racks chain view, make sure the I-O button on the left is enabled. Set the chains containing the hihat samples to the same choke group.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

DiGiTaLFX

Post by DiGiTaLFX » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. However I wasn't meaning a choke. What I meant was if I have a pedal sending a midi cc for open/closed, can I set up a hi hat pad in the drum rack that will play one sound on an open pedal and another on a closed. And maybe even another when actually closing the pedal?

Cheers

DiGiTaLFX

jok

Post by jok » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi DiGiTaLFX,

I assume that should be possible, but I am not so familiar with the Hihat part of Midi drum kits: you need to configure the pedal so that it sends out different Midi notes for the different states (open/closed) - please refer to the manual of the specific drum controller you use. You can then assign the notes to the respective sounds in the Drum Rack/chain´s I-O section (and set a choke group).

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

DiGiTaLFX

Post by DiGiTaLFX » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 pm

I can't see how that would work as wouldn't that just trigger the sounds on moving the pedal? Effectively I just want the state of the pedal to define which sound is chosen when i hit the hi hat pad.

jok

Post by jok » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 am

Hi DiGiTaLFX,

Which Drum Kit are you using?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:41 am

would it mabe work to put both the open & closed hihat sample in an intrument rack on the same drumrack pad and then set the pedal to control the chain selector?

DiGiTaLFX

Post by DiGiTaLFX » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Jörg: Just any that I load up, I'd like to be able to modify

Dexes: Ah ha! I knew there much be a simple enough way to do it! I think that would work very well. Thanks for the advice :D

jok

Post by jok » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi DiGiTaLFX,

I meant what hardware Drum Controller you use: you have to configure the sent Midi notes with the hardware.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

DiGiTaLFX

Post by DiGiTaLFX » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Oh rite an Alesis ControlPad.

Just to confirm I have the method suggested by Dexes working like a treat :D

Thanks

DiGiTaLFX

jok

Post by jok » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Just to confirm I have the method suggested by Dexes working like a treat Very Happy
Cool!

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com