problems with latency

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
big dred

problems with latency

Post by big dred » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:17 pm

hey yall

so im having a couple of problems with Live and I figured some of you Ableton Gurus might be able to help me....

1) i have fiddle faddled with the audio latency in Live in all directions and I still have a delay when recording audio. I plugged up a simple computer microphone to the microphone plug on my laptop and set everything in Live to use my internet audio card, but even with the latency set with every different setting I still get a delay. any ideas?

2) when i record audio for long periods of time, the final recorded track in Live ends up having a pop or skip occasionally. And it doesnt correct itself with the time... so I end up with an audio track that pops and then the entire track is off time by a 1/2 second or so. any ideas on that one?

thanks for any and all help!!!

Jake

pirco

Re: problems with latency

Post by pirco » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 pm

looks like you're dealing with the typical latency issues that everyone has. except, you're using the built-in soundcard of your notebook?
that will give you the worst results, in terms of quality and latency, I'm afraid. these internal sound cards are not made for even semi-professional recording.

the first thing you should do is get yourself a nice audio interface. that's where you should plug in your microphone. there are plenty of audio interfaces out there and, depending on your budget, I recommend a firewire unit (like apogee's duet, which is the best for $500 IMHO, or a cheaper edirol or m-audio unit for a couple hundred $$) or one with express card (RME multiface II with expresscard34 – but that's expensive and only works if your laptop has an expresscard34 slot).

second, you need to go through the lessons for setting up your audio interface and then check the lesson about driver error compensation. that will explain why you are getting pops and skips – your processor can't handle the audio in time – and how you properly set the sample buffer and driver error compensation.

FYI, you can still get away without an audio interface, if you must, by not monitoring your microphone (turn down the speakers) and setting the proper driver error compensation (in short, it will move your recorded audio by that 1/2 second or so backward so that it matches up again with the metronome).
Macbook pro (2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM), Multiface II & HDSPe ExpressCard, Ableton Live (w/Session Drums), Roland TD-10 vDrums