Live 8 Suite - authorization again after already authorized

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
R.A.W.

Re: Live 8 Suite - authorization again after already authorized

Post by R.A.W. » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:15 pm

just wanted to start a thread about the unlock problem when i found this.

sorry abes, but although you offer more unlocks when we contact the support, this is NOT ok..

i got 4 nics in my laptop, wlan, lan, bt-lan and umts and i tend to use my laptop with different settings where those are en- or disabled (depending if i'm at home or on the road). so i would reach my unlock-limit soon if i would continue unlocking whenever needed and couldn't unlock my desktop, too.
i hope this will be changed with the next update, because it's really not tolerable to use nics to compute the hardware code. this is the first time that i use software that does this and i hadn't updated yet if i knew that before.

i guess that the abe support now gets many requests from users that reached their unlock limit, so changing the unlock mechanism should be the next step to reduce support costs on your side.
in the meantime i will have to change my settings whenever i want to fire up live8 as i don't want to unlock 6 or more times ;) - which is really somewhat annoying.
ThinkPad T500,Core 2 Duo T9600 (2x2,8GHz)/3GB RAM/Radeon HD3650/FireWire 410/WinXP SP3 32bit
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz/4GB RAM/GeForce GTX460/ESI U24 XL/Win7 x64
Ableton Live 8/energyXT2/APC40/MPKmini/LaunchPad/TriggerFinger
http://www.bitmud.com

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm

I had to unlock Live 8 last night after having unlocked it a few nights prior. I had been offline when I opened Live 8. I went online to reauthorize. It reauthorized, but then I had an email saying that I was out of authorizations.
If/when I get more authorizations, how do I authorize Live 8 properly so that I can open it offline and have it authorized?
Thanks.

rhythminmind

Post by rhythminmind » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:00 pm

1. Turn off all ethernet/Wifi hardware
2. open Live
3. Get your offline hardware key # from Live's preferences.
4. Go to lives site & authorize from a 2nd computer or re-enable your net hardware.
5. turn off all Turn off all ethernet/Wifi hardware again
6. Open the authorization file with live.
This way Live will be unlocked with or without NET hardware.
http://rhythminmind.net | http://signaltonoize.com | http://popsound.com
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks. I'll do that.
I don't recall that being added to the installation instructions.

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 pm

I had to unlock for the 2nd time last night. The only change I made? I connected a webcam to the PC that I had previously authorized without it connected! It was either that, or the fact that I had a remote desktop session open with a different computer when I opened Live.

Either way, it's an issue!

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 pm

I was moving a very large project saved in Live 7 to Live 8.

When the project is in Live 7, I can see that Live is using 1908000 bytes of RAM just under 2GB.
When I load it into Live 8 it crashes.

At the point of the crash it is loading samples from the project - all the tracks appeared to be OK.
The error was a Windows run-time error.

When I look at memory used by Live 8 it is using 2063420 just over 2GB.

I'm not out of memory, maybe just at the 2GB process limit.

Anyway, I quit some background services and disable the DSL connection to see if I can get a little more memory.

Now Live 8 comes up wanting to be authorized again!

OK, I can trim down the project and get it to fit, but this authorization scheme is not working right.

I am using Live on the same computer, I don't see why a network interface, connected but disabled should have anything to do with software authorization.

I've already requested unlock resets several times these past few days, this is not right.

I frequently turn off things like services and network ports, etc. in Live 7 when I'm doing critical mixing stuff. Now I have to be very careful what I do in Live 8.

I understand the need for anti-piracy stuff, but this is not the way to do it.

This is in Windows XP SP3. I have 4GB of RAM, but I don't use the /3GB boot option.

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:31 am

same issue here.. but it's getting more complex

with my settings i usually have my wifi device enabled and keep my ethernet & 1394 devices usually disabled

so initially when i upgraded to 8suite i went about the auth process with wifi enabled. authorized through online. worked perfect.

went to load live later on with my wifi device disabled and i got the request for auth again.. shitty.. well not as weird as it gets. so i process to do the unlock as a no internet device. worked perfect. alternated between wifi device settings in respect to live and had no issues

so by now i would assume i got an email saying i used up my lock codes? no i didn't. cool

well here's when i get all frustrated

i decide to reformat my c drive so i can have a flawless audio station. when i go to install live 8 suite the second time on the same computer everything goes well.. come up to the auth screen like previous with my wifi enabled. sure went ahead and did the online way assuming that all would work just like before. and yes.. peachy. it works

and now! i got the notification of using up my codes. whatever. after 3 unlocks? weird.

now i disable my wifi to proceed and do the hardware authorization for a no internet device just like before. i get my codes and all.. double clicking on the auz file live tells me i successfully authorized BUT it's only gold for about 10 seconds. then it hits me with the demo version bull.. seriously.. really.. i try this a bunch more times with no more luck.

please take care of this issue! i rather just go back to my 7.0.15 until 8 is well resolved :(

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

I'm just about to install Live 8 on my laptop, it's already installed on my main DAW too. Like many posters here my laptop has multiple network connections (BT, Umts .. ) which i enable/disable depending of where i work.

I guess, reading all the above posts, i will get authorization problems?? If so, that's a serious problem. :(

CarlSeleborg

Post by CarlSeleborg » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi Peez,

We're aware of the problem and working on it. In the meantime,
I would suggest that you unlock once for every configuration
you will work in, possibly using off-line unlocking if
required. Live will keep all those authorizations, and select
the appropriate one each time.

Send an email to support@ableton.com explaining your
situation, and tell them how many different configurations
you will be working on - they should give you more unlocks
if the default is not enough for you once you've bought Live.

Carl

[scu]

Post by [scu] » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,

This has been resolved with Live 8.0.2 or higher. Please download the latest installer from our website:

http://www.ableton.com/account/downloads

Then reauthorize your installation here:

https://www.ableton.com/account/licenses

Please write customercare@ableton.com if you have any questions or difficulties with the authorization process.

Cheers,
Stacey Curtis
Ableton Customer Care