Does Live fully support MMC play/stop/rw/ff/arm controls?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
systek

Does Live fully support MMC play/stop/rw/ff/arm controls?

Post by systek » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:52 am

setup:
pc 1.8ghz
motu mtp
mackie mdr
dm24
rme hammerfall dsp

any MDR users out there? or anyone possibly using the DM24 transport controls?

Sync'ing Live to the mdr is no problem. I use the mdr as master sending SMPTE into the MTP which generates MTC for live and I usually use the transport controls from the mdr to play the Live sequencer. I have never gotten the live sequencer to stop/rw/ff or arm however? I also tried using an mpc2000xl mtc master into the motu mtp and it sync'ed perfectly to Live however the stop still does not work... ahhh! To stop the live sequencer I have to disable EXT sync and finally hit stop on the sequencer. Anyone else experience the stop button not working through MMC? It would be great if Live supported all the standard mmc commands. Any chance in a future update?

or...

Is it possible for Live to sync to ADAT sync from MTP going into the hammerfall card? I believe Nuendo can sync to adat sync , could Live?

any ideas... post 'em.

systek

amwintx

Same experience

Post by amwintx » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:35 pm

systek,

I have the same experience with Live and the DM-24 transport controls. Live does not seem to respond to the stop button. I also had this problem when trying to sync Live to my DA-38 machines, so I think its a bug in the MMC implementation in Live. I wonder if it will be fixed in 2.0?

systek

Post by systek » Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:06 am

amwintx,

I did get a response from Ableton and I have pasted what eduard said in below this message.

My DM24 is now setup to start live and the MDR thru the MTP. I have to manally stop live by unchecking the ext sync button and then stop. I use a footswitch for the mdr. It is working ok, but full MMC would be great. I have yet to get ADAT sync to work on the MTP and Hammerfall. I cannot wait to see 2.0!

systek

---cut and paste----

Due to a bug Live doesnt stop when running on MTC. But we
will of course fix this as soon as possible.
MMC is something different, we have planned to support it in
Live 2.0 so there is no chance to get it working with Live 1.x ..

> Is it possible for Live to sync to ADAT sync from MTP
> going into the hammerfall card? I believe Nuendo can
> sync to adat sync , could Live?

Well, you have to configure your MTP doing this and not
Live. Or did I get you wrong ?

eduard
developer

systek

Post by systek » Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:07 am

amwintx,

I did get a response from Ableton and I have pasted what eduard said in below this message.

My DM24 is now setup to start live and the MDR thru the MTP. I have to manally stop live by unchecking the ext sync button and then stop. I use a footswitch for the mdr. It is working ok, but full MMC would be great. I have yet to get ADAT sync to work on the MTP and Hammerfall. I cannot wait to see 2.0!

systek

---cut and paste----

Due to a bug Live doesnt stop when running on MTC. But we
will of course fix this as soon as possible.
MMC is something different, we have planned to support it in
Live 2.0 so there is no chance to get it working with Live 1.x ..

> Is it possible for Live to sync to ADAT sync from MTP
> going into the hammerfall card? I believe Nuendo can
> sync to adat sync , could Live?

Well, you have to configure your MTP doing this and not
Live. Or did I get you wrong ?

eduard
developer

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:30 pm

Hey all...

I been configuring my system slowly over the 9 months or so and I just wanted to post my routing and settings so others do not have to go through the same hell I experienced. This setup allows full mmc control using the dm24 or mdr as masters. All tracking is usually done in Nuendo or on the mdr but recently I have been using live for songwriting so syncing it up to everything was important to me. Thanks to eduardo for the tip about setting up adat sync between the mtp and hammerfall.

PC Config:
winxp pro + sp1
P4 1.8ghz
1024mb ram

Hardware:
mtpav (driver 1.0.0.7)
dm24 (v2.03)
mdr24 (v1.31)
rme hammerfall dsp driver (2.41)

Routing: (SMPTE, WordClock, MMC, Adat Sync)
MASTER SMPTE/WC/MMC = mdr24 (port 1 on mtpav)
SLAVE1 WC/ADAT Sync = hammerfall
SLAVE2 WC/MMC = dm24 (port 2 on mtpav)

Audio Chain:
mdr24 ADAT (out) - (in) hammerfall ADAT (out)- (in) dm24 ADAT - mdr24 ADAT (out) - (in) mdr24 ADAT

Hammerfall Settings:
ClockMode: AutoSync
Buffer = 512
Pref Sync Ref. = Adat Sync

MTP AV Settings:
Clockworks (PC beta)
MMC - Port 1 (mdr) , Port 2 (dm24)
MTC - Port 1 (mdr) , Port 2 (dm24)

MDR Settings:
Sync Source: MTC
WC Source: Internal
Gen SMPTE: On (SMPTE to MTP)

DM24 Settings:
Digital Clock = WC 44.1
MMC = MMC Open
Sync = TC IN (SMPTE from MTP)

This setup allows me to use MMC controls from the PC, DM24 and MDR all at the same time. The only problem is that Live does not stop from MMC for some reason. So far this system has been tight with no audio drop outs, time code clicks, etc... I dump 24 tracks all the time into the MDR from live... no probs. If anyone has a similar hardware feel free email me. I still have lots of questions and ideas on how to make the Dm24 work better with the mdr. Hope this helps some of you.