What Happened to the Multicore efficiency!? (cpu problems?)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Gurulogic

What Happened to the Multicore efficiency!? (cpu problems?)

Post by Gurulogic » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Ok, just downloaded the live 8 demo and proceeeded to load custom configured cpu load test VSTI's across 4 channels. In Live 7, the result of this test would be a perfectly balanced load across all 4 cpu cores and my taskmanager and Live's cpu meter both showing 65% cpu utilization, and headroom up to about 85% cpu usage before I would hear any artifacts in the audio.

In Live 8 with the same test, the load is all over the place.Core 0 is at about 50%, core one about 30%, core 2 about 70% and core 3 about 80%, the Live meter showing 100% cpu, the taskmanager showing 55% and every thirty seconds or so of playback a really nasty noise coming out of my speakers!

the really ironic thing is that Live 8 is actually using about 10% less cpu than Live 7 to run the same test but as a result of the core 3 clipping well before cores 0,1 and somewhat before core 2, I have about 35% less cpu overhead before I start hearing cpu related audio artifacts.

So in conclusion, Live 8 is actually more cpu efficient on a per calculation basis than Live 7, however to achieve this, any use of the top 35% of a multicore cpu has been sacrificed.

These tests do not reflect hard fact, they are merely my observations based on my typical usage methods of Ableton Live.

Gurulogic

Re: What Happened to the Multicore efficiency!? (cpu problems?)

Post by Gurulogic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 am

I keep seeing reccuring posts that point to cpu related problems...
I think my post above may partially explain some of this. Does anyone else
have any input on the matter?

verstaerker

Re: What Happened to the Multicore efficiency!? (cpu problems?)

Post by verstaerker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:24 am

that might explain my CPU problem (i posted this morning)