pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
orgul

Re: pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

Post by orgul » Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 am

bravo! clicks and pops are gone for me with 8.02! thx

crazybreaks

Post by crazybreaks » Sat May 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Still think I may be getting some clicks with one of my previously buggered tracks (made in Ableton 8.01) BUT everything new I am creating (made in Ableton 8.02) seems (touch wood) to not have clicks/pops. Fingers crossed!!! Still a bit early to say... looking promising.... so far....

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm still hearing them in 8.02. I started a project and noticed them right away on a clip I pitched an octave down. This is the really weird thing about it though: they're being caused by the audio clip, but aren't audible when I solo that track. BUT they are audible when I mute the track. However I know it's that track because if I delete it, the clicks go away. So it's not an audio click, it's a CPU glitch! And it's annoying as PISS.

I have a strong feeling this is yet another 8 bug....I am getting more and more angry/frustrated with Ableton over this lousy update. How do they expect customers to stay loyal by making them pay for something so buggy?

alanhess

Post by alanhess » Sat May 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm still getting this on 8.03

dru

Post by dru » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:13 am

Wow just found this thread. I'm still getting the clicks/pops in 8.0.3, not only that but cpu meter is spiking when playing those clips:

During silent parts it would sit at 6% but would spike to 14-17% when playing the clip. I tried consolidating rather than having separate clips and it would sit fine at 6-7% with no spikes. With a single clip there are no automation fades but with separate clips each clip would have the fades, thus spiking the cpu.

very annoying!

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:05 pm

I discovered the reason it was happening to me is that I had the clips on Complex Pro mode. Apparently that sucks up way more CPU than any of the other modes...so much it can cause audio glitches (or maybe that's just a bug they haven't fixed yet, but it only happens in Pro mode).

pajhonka

Post by pajhonka » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:03 am

As of 8.0.4, the crossfades still cause clicks/pops in Complex Pro warp mode.

*sigh* I love Ableton, but 8 is so buggy compared to 7.

-The pops caused me a lot more work. If you're going to do production work and use crossfades, I'd imagine you'd want the highest quality warping. It boggles me why they would not have noticed/cared.
-My Waves plug-ins, academic Gold Bundle 5, work perfectly in Ableton 7. In Ableton 8, they cause the screen to go completely white.
-I have to force quit or restart about five times more than I did with 7.

copong

Post by copong » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Same here, but not just on crossfades on audio files. Even on the middle of MIDI tracks on softsynths. Most of my channels are frozen as this track I'm doing is heavy on softsynths and fx. Always on exactly the same spot. If I freeze the track or bounce the whole thing down, the pop is still there so it's not a CPU/IO issue.

baskervils

Post by baskervils » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I had a 4 bar Pro Tools guitar loop that was popping at the beginning and/or end in Ableton. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the pops.

I decided to re-export the loop from Pro Tools, but with extra beats at the beginning and end of the loop. I edited the loop in Ableton and no more pops.

Digable Dialogue

Post by Digable Dialogue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:12 pm

I just downloaded 8.1.3 update. I get end fade pops on looped regions in the update but not when I open the same project in 8.0.5. The newest update is what started the pops on my end.
Human Agency - humanagency.bandcamp.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:44 am

interesting thread.. i ve the crossfade problem now in b2... cant test b3 because it crashes on launch now ...

strange.. this program is really alife... hope it dont touches my bankacounts
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

baskervils

Post by baskervils » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 am

OK, I thought I solved my problem but no. Same problem - pops on a rhythm guitar track.

I've analyzed my clip and it's definitely a pop that I should be able to crossfade out but can't. Adjusting the transients, loop markers and crossfades don't help.

UPDATE: I exported the guitar and edited the pops out in Pro Tools. I thought that I would be able to cover the pop with a tiny bit of the previous measure.

Interestingly the pop was not only at the start / end point of the clip, but it was also in the reverb/ delay (UAD-2 Plate 140, Roland 201 on the send channels), so the pop reverberated for 1/2 of a measure after it happened.

I had to replace 1/2 a measure at each start / end point of the loop. The good news is, it sounds good now! The bad news is, it took 2 hours to fix.

Please Please Please work on the fades for the next update.

Thomss

Post by Thomss » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Getting the same problem myself on Live 8.15 (It may be there on earlier versions too)

Record a bass line, do some edits put two parts together and no matter what I do with the cross fade it always glitches / pops, it's really driving me crazy! :cry:

sean.goldcamp

Post by sean.goldcamp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Guys, hope this helps, I had the same problem and I upped the sample rate and the pops and clicks went away...

SAMPLE RATE IS KEY...

However, I dont know how this will work on recordings done directly in ableton. I had it work with wav vocal tracks recorded in CUBASE, and also with other midi tracks done in ableton when the CPU would rise from launching numerous clips on a recording, I would hear pops on the launch...

Play around with it...raise the sample rate up in preferences just enough so that you no longer hear the pops, but not enough to significantly raise the CPU... Mine is set around 790 samples... let me know if this helps
Macbook Pro 13"(tiny tim) 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250GB, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Cubase SX, Allen & Heath Xone 4D, Akai Professional APC 40.

Thomss

Post by Thomss » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Do you mean Latency?