pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
sean.goldcamp

Re: pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

Post by sean.goldcamp » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Thomss wrote:Do you mean Latency?
No, but i DO mean BUFFER SIZE...sorry about the confusion... raise the number of samples in the BUFFER RATE, mine is up to 750 and I have no problems... at 250 I get the same pops and clicks...HOWEVER, if you raise the buffer rate up too much your CPU usage will also raise...its a fine line
Macbook Pro 13"(tiny tim) 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250GB, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Cubase SX, Allen & Heath Xone 4D, Akai Professional APC 40.

Thomss

Post by Thomss » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:59 am

I assure you this is not a CPU related issue.

last night, I added one track of audio in a blank project.

record a bass line (best to use a very dull sound for test purpose as it highlights the pop/glitch in the audio)

as soon as you split the track every time at that point the audio pops.

CPU is sitting on 3% use, do the same in Studio One, Cubase 5.5, Record 1.5 etc and it's fine.

I can do this at 192 buffer size or 1024, in Ableton 8.15 or recent lower versions the outcome is always the same.

Any ideas?

sean.goldcamp

Post by sean.goldcamp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Hmm if raising the buffer rate doesnt help then im dead in the water... have you checked to see if it was the preamp you were recording through? Try putting the WAV clip in another DAW to see if there is still the same problem.. If it does not produce a sound in Cubase, Logic, whatever, and if you are in a hurry, try downgrading to live 7... I know its not really a solution but hey, its a means to an end meanwhile right? ABLETON SUPPORT??
Macbook Pro 13"(tiny tim) 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250GB, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Cubase SX, Allen & Heath Xone 4D, Akai Professional APC 40.

screamingstrings76

Post by screamingstrings76 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:43 pm

I have been running into this problem as well. The new fade system as a whole is broken. Never had the problem in live 7, and now it affects all of my tracks, and all of a few friends tracks in live 8.15. This is absolutely ridiculous, and Ableton, you had BETTER fix this by 8.16. We have had multiple revisions, and this has been a problem since 8 beta! It is a standard feature to have work perfectly in all other daws, and it totally ruins any of the tracks that are made in Live 8. When bouncing tracks to stereo wav files, it reads these as CPU dropouts..... Which is not true. What are we going to do? Do we all need to email Ableton every day and submit a bug report EVERY time it happens, before they fix it? I'm sorry but it's been present for so long, and i would have thought that the wonderful engineer's ears over in Berlin would have heard this by now. Guess they're not doing as much internal QA as I thought! :x

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:06 am

I have found that using the most recent warp algorithm causes clicks when looping clips. Reverting to the older algorithm fixes the clicks in this case.

Thomss

Post by Thomss » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:02 am

Interesting on the last reply, I'll have a look at that.
Such a shame these little bugs are still in the program.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Badger123 wrote:I have found that using the most recent warp algorithm causes clicks when looping clips. Reverting to the older algorithm fixes the clicks in this case.
how might one revert to an older algorithm in a program that's using more recent warping code? is that not hard-coded into the program?

screamingstrings76

Post by screamingstrings76 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 pm

beautiful. Live 8.2.... still no mention of a fix for this issue. COME ON. We don't need an eff'ing amp modeler, we need FIXES for PROBLEMS. ugh.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm

this is definitely an issue in 8.2 still.

i spent a good 45mins cleaning up a bass track just to put small gaps between clips so there wasn't a nasty click.

glad i solo'd my track and had a good listen as with other elements sometimes the pops/click are not always easily noticed.

i really don't want to spend my time in live fixing clips/adding gaps between clips when i can be making music.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:25 pm

screamingstrings76 wrote:beautiful. Live 8.2.... still no mention of a fix for this issue. COME ON. We don't need an eff'ing amp modeler, we need FIXES for PROBLEMS. ugh.
the amp is not made by ableton... ableton themselves work at fixing bugs, which they do now for about a year without break.

so what is this thread about? lets read the whole :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:01 am

the crossfade bug is back or are you reffering to older versions like 8.13 or so?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

kleine

Post by kleine » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:49 am

If someone could send us a small example where this happens in 8.2, we´d be most grateful.
You can do this via the "status report" option in the help menu.
-> support@ableton.com
Thanks!

Christian

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:45 pm

kleine wrote:If someone could send us a small example where this happens in 8.2, we´d be most grateful.
You can do this via the "status report" option in the help menu.
-> support@ableton.com
Thanks!

Christian
Seems like 'Status Report' is actually 'Get Support' now.. but have just submitted a quick example.

The clips in the example were vsts frozen and dragged and audio chopped up & consolidated. Does it matter which version of Live I consolidated the audio clips in? Because I can't remember which of the billion betas I originally created/consolidated the clips in.

edit: looks like for me anyhow it was just the waveform being cut off when cutting & pasting clips. just don't ever really remember having problems working this way before.. but who knows.

observantdreamer

Post by observantdreamer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:21 pm

wow. this is the most frustrating issue i have ever come across recording.
i have version 8.0.3. having the same issues as described everywhere here.
i even tried creating extremely small breaks in between clips to eliminate the random pop/crackle. and it works for some clips but for others there's no hope. and i don't understand. yes it's obviously a cross fade bug because latency and processing power is fine. i hope this gets fixed soon because i pretty much can't even use the cross fade option at all unless i want these annoying pops.

this problem only started happening when i started tracking rhythm guitar. i use an M-Audio firewire 410.
i've trouble shooted on two different computers with the same version of ableton and still the same issue.

i spent a lot of time tracking and im not going to re-record. does anyone have a possible solution to getting rid of the pops already there? i could really use some help.

EDIT: also, i've noticed the pops and clicks appear depending where you hit play within the clip. sometimes new ones show up. another solution i've been working with is disconnecting a clip from the clips before and after, then consolidating that clip, then reconnect/crossfade the surrounding clips. this seems to work for the shorter sized clips.

dokken

Post by dokken » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 pm

I think I've had this same problem myself in Live 8.1.3.