ABLETON LIVE 8.01 SHIT

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
swivet

Re: ABLETON LIVE 8.01 SHIT

Post by swivet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:00 am

Nokatus wrote:
swivet wrote:If Pro Tools released a new version that affected 90% of its user base negatively, the industry backlash would be out of control.
It would be foolish not to acknowledge the problems (for one, I beta tested and followed the beta period closely, and have been reading the bug forum after the 8.0.1 release) -- but it's not very constructive to exaggerate the hit either. 90% is bound to be way out of proportion.
By no means am I exaggerating. That's why I gave this 50 hours of testing and reading the forums before even joining to post my experiences and issues with 8.0.1. I would honestly have to disagree - I'd say about 10-20% of people are actually using this hassle free right now. Especially in imported Live 7 projects, which seem to contain the majority of issues. Starting from a fresh Live 8 works far better. Out of the 15 people I personally know working heavily in Live 8.0.1, 3 are able to use it without hassle. So that's 20% there. All I can do is report my experience and base my information off of the facts gathered from the forums and those I know using the software. And the facts say this release is severely flawed.
Live 8.0.3, Mac Pro 8 Core, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.7

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 am

swivet wrote:I would honestly have to disagree - I'd say about 10-20% of people are actually using this hassle free right now.
Where do you get the stats from? I mean, the current number of all Live 8 users, vs. the size of the group which is "affected negatively"?

Asking these questions, I'm seriously not trying to be a smartass :). From my viewpoint, there's insufficient data to draw a conclusion like "90% of the whole Live 8 user base is having a negative experience" just from testing it extensively on your setup and reading forum posts. That's why I still think it's an exaggeration. Still, it doesn't mean the bugs aren't serious.

djholla

Post by djholla » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:18 am

Nokatus wrote:
swivet wrote:I would honestly have to disagree - I'd say about 10-20% of people are actually using this hassle free right now.
Where do you get the stats from? I mean, the current number of all Live 8 users, vs. the size of the group which is "affected negatively"?

Asking these questions, I'm seriously not trying to be a smartass :). From my viewpoint, there's insufficient data to draw a conclusion like "90% of the whole Live 8 user base is having a negative experience" just from testing it extensively on your setup and reading forum posts. That's why I still think it's an exaggeration. Still, it doesn't mean the bugs aren't serious.
From swivet's last post: "Out of the 15 people I personally know working heavily in Live 8.0.1, 3 are able to use it without hassle. So that's 20% there."

This is just a small "focus group" per say, but it is 15 random cases out of x number of Live 8.0.1 copies sold. Random selection and 80% are experiencing major issues with the software. Just my chime in. Could always do a poll on here. I would be curious to see if it is indeed that high.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 am

out of all the people i know, all of them have it working fine once theyve actually set up their computers properly.
before however, well.. thats another story.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:58 am

Personally I don't care if it is 20, 50 or 80%.
If there are only 10% of the users that had no problems with Live 7 and
now have (massive) problems with Live 8 then that is way too much and - like
some of you said here - unacceptable !

And we are obviously not talking about "how do i connect my soundcard ?"-people,
but people who had a working DAW before upgrading to Live 8. Btw, did the
official RAM or CPU requirements for Live 8 changed compared to Live 7 ?

My impression is that people have less problems with the Windows version
which does not mean that ALL Mac users do have problems. But there seem
to be certain machines that have more problems. Which is not the fault of
Apple, because Ableton has listed these machines to be ok for running Live.

So I am happy for all having no issues and support all with problems
in their demand for a fix !
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

riotschool

Post by riotschool » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 pm

I just realised that I am not able to switch the loops on or off by using the assigned midi key on my controller. Everything else works fine. What am I missing??

swivet

Post by swivet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Coupe70 wrote:Personally I don't care if it is 20, 50 or 80%.
If there are only 10% of the users that had no problems with Live 7 and
now have (massive) problems with Live 8 then that is way too much and - like
some of you said here - unacceptable !

And we are obviously not talking about "how do i connect my soundcard ?"-people,
but people who had a working DAW before upgrading to Live 8. Btw, did the
official RAM or CPU requirements for Live 8 changed compared to Live 7 ?

My impression is that people have less problems with the Windows version

So I am happy for all having no issues and support all with problems
in their demand for a fix !
Yes, those 3 people I know of the 15 all have PC's and aren't experiencing the issues the rest of us Mac guys are. Regardless of the percentage there is obviously some major stuff that needs fixing fast. I'm just so depressed right now after losing 20 save points of the most important project of my life to the infinite "not enough memory...please save and quit" bug on startup.
Live 8.0.3, Mac Pro 8 Core, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.7

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Coupe70 wrote:My impression is that people have less problems with the Windows version
That's the impression I had too. Most people complaining about massive problems seem to be running Live on a Mac. I'm on a PC myself and I don't have too many problems. On the few problems I have, I'm not even sure Live is the culprit (most of the time, the crash happens inside a VST).

So guys ... sell your fancy Macs and buy PCs hahaha. Lol, I'm just trolling ! :-))))

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 am

riotschool wrote:I just realised that I am not able to switch the loops on or off by using the assigned midi key on my controller. Everything else works fine. What am I missing??
it start with an M and its 6 letters.
its there.
read it.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:18 am

swivet wrote:a reputation for releasing a pretty damn solid product over the past years, as proved in our transitions to 6 and 7, which were almost as if we hadn't really switched (stability wise). You could still perform all the same basic tasks and get cpu intensive work done.
guaranteed, there were plenty of people complaining about the 6 and 7 releases

I don't think as many as are now with 8, but of course the user base expands...