Copy protection violation with paid & registered Live 8.01 ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Christian61

Copy protection violation with paid & registered Live 8.01 ?

Post by Christian61 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi,

today I got a nasty error message

" A copy protection violation has been identified. Please contact tech support at support@ableton.com"

Live 8.01 stopped (in the middle of the session !) made connection to the internet (I wonder whether L8 transmitted data back to Ableton) Safari was started with the Ableton homepage and since then it can not be used anymore, thank you very much for that Ableton !
btw, I paid 150 euro for the update. I contacted support and I am waiting now...

Does anybody know what could cause this ?
I am running L8.01 since about two weeks without problems on a MacPro latest OS etc.

Thx,
Christian
Gear: MBP M1 Max • iMac 27" • Quartet • SSL UF1/UC1/UF8 • Push2 • Virus TI • NI • Arturia / Korg / Roland / SD3 / Omnisphere / Trillian / RMX • Waves / Slate / SSL Plugins • Ableton 12 • Fender Jazz Bass/Strat/Tele • Gibson Les Paul • Kemper profiler

kleine

Re: Copy protection violation with paid & registered Live 8.01 ?

Post by kleine » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:19 am

Hello,

Please send me your Log.txt file from
/User/Library/Preferences/Ableton
Also, check your disk with disk utilities (preferably while booted from your installer DVD).
You might check your disk for a virus as well.

Best,
Christian

kayvee

Post by kayvee » Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 am

I got the same problem, any solutions?
That is then still till there on to...

kleine

Post by kleine » Tue May 12, 2009 11:17 am

kayvee wrote:I got the same problem, any solutions?
Do you use Live 8.0.2?
If so, send me your Log.txt file.
See: http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/co ... al_support

best,
Christian

kayvee

Post by kayvee » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

Yes i use 8.0.2

and already send the log to the support@ableton.com mail....

rydan

Post by rydan » Tue May 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Christian61 wrote: Does anybody know what could cause this ?
Yes.

I's because Ableton have chosen to implement copy protection technology to make life hard for their paying customers.
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se

kayvee

Post by kayvee » Tue May 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi guys

Its fixed...it took a long time but im there....
I had to wipe everything...did a virus check (never done that on a mac before), repair disk permissions (did not know it excist)
And killed everything that was related to or pointing at the live app....
After all that it worked again....
The only thing i still want to know is what caused all this, i did not have any virusses, nothing in the disk permissions was related to Live...hmm
It all started monday in the evening....

But it works and it runs stable as usual..

Thanks for the help..

Razzkazz

Post by Razzkazz » Wed May 13, 2009 10:43 am

this has happened me a number of times while using Live 6 and 7. Full re-install is the only solution.
MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/

kayvee

Post by kayvee » Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Well it happened AGAIN.....

More users with the same problem?

zurie

Post by zurie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Wow this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I currently am running Logic Studio 9 with MainStage2, and running my music with a CAF tempo based backing track and performing parts live synced. I just purchased an APC40 and am about to buy Ableton8. looking at dropping 400 + 300 into running ableton, 700 dollars... I am having MAJOR second thoughts about trusting the software on a live show. Basically I am going to have to have a 60 minute mp3 setup as a backup in case this ever happens to me... not very reasurring... Just use a serial # and be done with it. Noone wants to use an iLOK, noone wants to use a TimeBomb secret validator, Why do companies treat us like children. I used Logic for YEARS with a dongle, and they finally went to serial #. It's the 21st century... drop the 20th century copy protection scheme.

djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Ableton gave me a Live 7 NFR a year or so ago. I was seriously considering purchasing Live and using it for studio and live use, but the copy protection is what put me off. I haven’t really even wanted to use my NFR for a solid project because of this. I’ll continue to use Logic and support companies that use copy protection that isn’t a hassle for the legit user. Ableton, you lost a sale.

zurie

Post by zurie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:57 pm

well I purchased Live8 so I am running it so far with no hitches, but I have NOT installed it on my laptop yet, and I have also not changed my studio setup yet (like updating to 10.5.8 from 10.5.7 or even if I decide to got snow leopard in the future... ) so I can't comment on if that protection will act up at that point... I hope things are ironed out but if I do get a issue I'll be sure to post back here.

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:03 pm

djanthonyw wrote:Ableton gave me a Live 7 NFR a year or so ago. I was seriously considering purchasing Live and using it for studio and live use, but the copy protection is what put me off. I haven’t really even wanted to use my NFR for a solid project because of this. I’ll continue to use Logic and support companies that use copy protection that isn’t a hassle for the legit user. Ableton, you lost a sale.
Pardon? Can you say that again, please? If you have received a NFR serial number, then you haven't paid a dime. I'm wondering why we have lost a sale then. Also, talking about NFRs on public user forums is not a nice move, considering that the majority of Live users has paid good money for their software. Is moaning about a copy protection mechanism that you haven't even tried the only reason why you have registered on our forums? Seriously, think before you post.

Why are you guys bumping a 5 months old thread anyways?
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:26 pm

[nis] wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:Ableton gave me a Live 7 NFR a year or so ago. I was seriously considering purchasing Live and using it for studio and live use, but the copy protection is what put me off. I haven’t really even wanted to use my NFR for a solid project because of this. I’ll continue to use Logic and support companies that use copy protection that isn’t a hassle for the legit user. Ableton, you lost a sale.
Pardon? Can you say that again, please? If you have received a NFR serial number, then you haven't paid a dime. I'm wondering why we have lost a sale then. Also, talking about NFRs on public user forums is not a nice move, considering that the majority of Live users has paid good money for their software. Is moaning about a copy protection mechanism that you haven't even tried the only reason why you have registered on our forums? Seriously, think before you post.

Why are you guys bumping a 5 months old thread anyways?
Hi Nis, when did I say that I didn't try Live? I did try it, I've been trying it for a year and just feel that I'm not going to dedicate my self to using it when there are other options that offer hassle free copy protection. It's nice software otherwise. A sale was lost because I decided not to upgrade to Live 8.

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:54 pm

djanthonyw wrote:I've been trying it for a year and just feel that I'm not going to dedicate my self to using it when there are other options that offer hassle free copy protection.
Well, you unlock it once and that's it. Not sure how much more "hassle-free" it can be. The problem discussed in this thread only occurs if something has corrupted Live's executable file. The "copy protection violation" error message is just another symptom of the file corruption. A corrupt executable file would not work anyways.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team