Noob help with axiom 49

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Magus

Noob help with axiom 49

Post by Magus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi.

Im kinda new to the tweak scene of music making. i want to set up my axiom49 to work with live. ive tried the instant mapping, but with no luck. now i try to manually map the controller buttons, but i find it VERY confusing. seems like the manual is written for intermediate users, and im a noob. anyone know where i can find help? like a midi programming for dummies ;)

Ive done the lesson and set up live to the axiom according to the help file. I get some respons, but not like i want. the transport buttons work, one rotary knob works partialy in the sense that i can only turn once, then "it gets stuck". Hope for some help. Thanx!

TroyP

Re: Noob help with axiom 49

Post by TroyP » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:56 am

Do you mean the LivePack when you say Lesson? There's a special LivePack for the Axiom series that has a bunch of stuff set up already. If you install that, then go the Preferences\MIDI you can set the Axiom as a controller and also, on the bottom of the screen to send/recv to Live. It works great. Maybe your LivePack install got corrupted. Try re-doing that, too.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

1) Thanks to Troy, I now know about the Axiom49 LivePack. Have been an Axiom 49 user for several years now I never knew that. Much thanks!

2) Magus, after I upgraded from Live 6 to Live 8, Axiom got a little weird. What I did was a fresh install of the axiom software (drivers) from disc and then went to the M-Audio website and downloaded the latest driver updates. Their software is very confusing for a noob of which I remain one. Just make sure that you keep doing things to the letter according to their instructions and you will be fine. Remember NOT to have the A49 on when you download the drivers or the download won't even work to begin with.

3)After I did the software reinstall and update, no more problems with manual midi mapping whatsoever.

4) The most important thing with respect to manual midi mapping is saving your midi map settings in your default set's template file. Do you understand what I am referring to with respect to "saving the current set as default" ?

5) It goes without saying that section 4.13 of the Live manual will explain in the simplest of terms about manual midi map programming. It couldn't be any easier.

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:1)...I now know about the Axiom49 LivePack...

...4) The most important thing with respect to manual midi mapping is saving your midi map settings in your default set's template file...
You're welcome! Try the Live Pack first. Also, it installs a special lesson explaining things...and the documentation shows it has several presets of stuff set up already. You may not need to do much manual mapping after installing the Live Pack.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:29 pm

TroyP wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote:1)...I now know about the Axiom49 LivePack...

...4) The most important thing with respect to manual midi mapping is saving your midi map settings in your default set's template file...
You're welcome! Try the Live Pack first. Also, it installs a special lesson explaining things...and the documentation shows it has several presets of stuff set up already. You may not need to do much manual mapping after installing the Live Pack.
So, in essence, once the live pack is installed and the Axiom 49 shows up as a "control surface" in the midi preferences chooser menu, the live pack's internals will over write the template file's former settings correct?

Do I need to do a "dump" to accomplish this once the pack is installed?

The other thing I need to get my head around with my external midi controls is to utilize "take over" method and mode for the various devices.

Thanks again for your insight.

fdmusic

Post by fdmusic » Tue May 19, 2009 1:44 am

I just want to say thank you for this thread!!! I've had a Axiom 25 for a couple years now, and this is the first time I've had it working properly. Thanks to you all!!!

Magus

Post by Magus » Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:1) Thanks to Troy, I now know about the Axiom49 LivePack. Have been an Axiom 49 user for
4) The most important thing with respect to manual midi mapping is saving your midi map settings in your default set's template file. Do you understand what I am referring to with respect to "saving the current set as default" ?

5) It goes without saying that section 4.13 of the Live manual will explain in the simplest of terms about manual midi map programming. It couldn't be any easier.
Hi, been a whuile since ive been at this thread. Been busy tweaking ;) yes, i know how to save as template. But my worries start when i want to program the axiom. Im not sure how to do and what to assign where. I think i need to do some reading and then come back ;)

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Tue May 19, 2009 2:21 pm

DrXparaMental wrote: So, in essence, once the live pack is installed and the Axiom 49 shows up as a "control surface" in the midi preferences chooser menu, the live pack's internals will over write the template file's former settings correct?

Do I need to do a "dump" to accomplish this once the pack is installed?

The other thing I need to get my head around with my external midi controls is to utilize "take over" method and mode for the various devices...
Yes, the dump sends the preset information to the Axiom. You can then save the preset information within the Axiom, but I haven't figured out exactly how that part works. So, I just do the dump at the beginning of each session and then the Axiom has the presets.

The takeover mode refers to how the buttons and knobs on the controller take over from the settings already working in Ableton. For example, if the slider on the Axiom is at zero and the slider it controls in Ableton is at -12, when the controller slider is moved, does it send the absolute value of 0, then 1, then 2 or does it send a relative value (i.e., move +1 from where you are at the moment).

Magus

Post by Magus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:45 pm

Ok, so I've got the Axiom set up to work with Live. Now i've got another thing thats bugging me. When I assign a rotary knob to control the pan, I seriously have to turn the knob almost two full times to make the pan go from 12 to 6 o'clock. Is there a way to make the rotary knob less sensitive, so I can make the changes better? Its not good when I'm recording automations with the sends either...

Thanx in advance :)

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Yes, that's an Axiom setting. There are different "curves" you can set just for that purpose.

Magus

Post by Magus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Excellent. Can yuou please tell me how to procede to change these settings, or what the settings are called so i can search for it?

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Did you find the PDF version of the user guide? I don't remember where I got mine. It was either on the disk that came with the Axiom or from their web site. Anyway, it's pretty good.

From page 18-19:

3.4.1 Acceleration Curves
There are three acceleration curves (C1-3) which define the relationship between how fast you turn the endless encoder and the value increment/decrement that is sent out. It is also possible to turn the acceleration curve OFF so that regardless of how quickly or slowly you turn the dial, the value will only increment/decrement by 1 per step. Turning the acceleration curve off is useful if you are performing adjustments that require fine tuning.

To turn the acceleration curve off, set the curve to 0. Curve settings 1-3 get progressively more sensitive to movements of the dial.

So, if you are going to be performing a lot of large, fast controller sweeps, you should select acceleration curve 3.

The curve selected by default is 2 which we advise for general use, in performing both large and small sweeps.
To select the acceleration curve:

49- and 61-note versions:
< Press Mute and Program together to access the Accel Curve setting.
< The LCD display will show the currently assigned acceleration curve.
< Use the numeric keypad or the -/+ buttons to select an acceleration curve in the range 0 to 3. The 0 setting will turn the curve off.

Magus

Post by Magus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:55 pm

SHIT!
I had to format and install my system and now I cant get the axiom to work again!!! Ive installed the axiom lesson, did the dump, set it to preset 19, but its not working properly. The level faders are working but nothing else. Im trying to use the axiom lesson, but its not showing anything in the axiom lesson folder. I changed the preset by pressing the store button on the axiom.

Can you guys save my day again?
Last edited by Magus on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Sorry. No experience with that.

Magus

Post by Magus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanx for your effort anyway TroyP :)

Ah, this is really annoying. I know it can be done, but I don't have a clue about how to do it... I've managed to understand how to use the lesson. Took me two months to scroll down the help view! No diploma for me this time. Have followed what it says, but still no luck. If someone knows how to fix this, you'll be in my prayers for a long time ;)