recording kore2 controller moves in arrangement doesn't work

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
p8guitar

recording kore2 controller moves in arrangement doesn't work

Post by p8guitar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 pm

I wonder why noone posted this before, maybe I'm doing something wrong...
I'm playing a kore2 sound, tweaking the knobs of my kore1 controller and record this into an arrangement. Only the notes are recorded, no automation is there!
I've already used the "configure" button to publish the kore parameters, but no automation is being recorded.
!?!

I tried recording kore controller movements in Live 7, this doesn't work either. 8O :(

Peter
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

ewistrand

Re: recording kore2 controller moves in arrangement doesn't work

Post by ewistrand » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Record in session view...

ew

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:10 pm

recording kore automation in session view doesn't work, either. Maybe a Mac OS X problem (I suppose you are using a PC ew?)?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 am

Yep, I am.

It should still be recording though. The one place where it might not is if your IDs are out of range. Go to the sound manager page in Kore (the icon that looks like a FM algorithm) and in the automation list, make sure the pages of what you want to automate are in the first 128 parameters. If not, use the edit button below the list and drag the pages into the right order.

ew

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Fri May 01, 2009 4:13 pm

I've got the culprit - I was using an "automapped" instance of kore. Apparently the Novation automap server prevents the kore controller from sending automation data to the host. I exchanged the instance with a normal kore 2 instance, and now it works.
:D

Peter

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 pm

ewistrand wrote:Yep, I am.

It should still be recording though. The one place where it might not is if your IDs are out of range. Go to the sound manager page in Kore (the icon that looks like a FM algorithm) and in the automation list, make sure the pages of what you want to automate are in the first 128 parameters. If not, use the edit button below the list and drag the pages into the right order.

ew
hey ew,

how do you record this into sessionview?
my parameters are in the first 128,but nothing gets recorded from kore 2's knobs.
any help would be awesome

thank!

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Fri May 01, 2009 10:57 pm

p8guitar wrote:I've got the culprit - I was using an "automapped" instance of kore. Apparently the Novation automap server prevents the kore controller from sending automation data to the host. I exchanged the instance with a normal kore 2 instance, and now it works.
Ah... yeah, that would happen.
33tetragammon wrote:how do you record this into sessionview?
Just hit record and move the knobs. You don't need to arm the tracks.

ew

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat May 02, 2009 5:01 am

ewistrand wrote:
p8guitar wrote:I've got the culprit - I was using an "automapped" instance of kore. Apparently the Novation automap server prevents the kore controller from sending automation data to the host. I exchanged the instance with a normal kore 2 instance, and now it works.
Ah... yeah, that would happen.

ew
hi ew,

just to be clear:in sessionview,do you record as AUDIO or as MIDI?
because it doesn't record anything from Kore 2 in a midiclip except note data etc,even if the parameters are the first 128.
recording audio works fine though,but that's not what i'm looking for.....
thanks!

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat May 02, 2009 5:03 am

The Kore controller isn't MIDI. It uses host automation.

ew

bog

Post by bog » Sun May 03, 2009 7:35 am

ewistrand wrote:

ew
So let me get this straight. Kore 2 allows one to record automation in Live's session view without having to use any workarounds such as using the 3rd party's own midi learn or using a virtual MIDI port? And without having to arm the track? I'm already intrigued by NI Kore as it is, but if this is true that Kore 2 will bypass the limitation of not being able to record automation in Live's session view without a workaround, I'm all ears.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun May 03, 2009 8:55 am

bog wrote:
ewistrand wrote:

ew
So let me get this straight. Kore 2 allows one to record automation in Live's session view without having to use any workarounds such as using the 3rd party's own midi learn or using a virtual MIDI port? And without having to arm the track? I'm already intrigued by NI Kore as it is, but if this is true that Kore 2 will bypass the limitation of not being able to record automation in Live's session view without a workaround, I'm all ears.
i don't get it to work at all.i'll ask ew how he does it
because if you don't arm the track,you can't record into sessionview at all
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun May 03, 2009 9:01 am

ewistrand wrote:The Kore controller isn't MIDI. It uses host automation.

ew
hi ew,

i still can't record any knob movements of Kore 2 in sessionview.
could you perhaps post a few pictures or additional information on how you actually do it?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun May 03, 2009 9:08 am

p8guitar wrote:I wonder why noone posted this before, maybe I'm doing something wrong...
I'm playing a kore2 sound, tweaking the knobs of my kore1 controller and record this into an arrangement. Only the notes are recorded, no automation is there!
I've already used the "configure" button to publish the kore parameters, but no automation is being recorded.
!?!

I tried recording kore controller movements in Live 7, this doesn't work either. 8O :(

Peter
question:i get parameterjumps when turning the Kore controllers' knobs in Live 8.01.do you have that as well?if you don't,it must be something on my Mac going wrong.
never had that problem with Live 7 though.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun May 03, 2009 3:28 pm

bog wrote:
ewistrand wrote:

ew
You can record automation for plugins loaded into Kore- the Kore controller only works with Kore. And yes, the Kore controller in my case is one of my enabled MIDI ports for Live; I use the controller's MIDI in for my MIDI foot controller that I use with my amp plugins.

ew