Sampling????

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Ruby Red

Sampling????

Post by Ruby Red » Fri May 01, 2009 3:31 pm

i can i get a sample from a song that i've downloaded through i tunes? it when i try to open it in ableton only the folder name exists but it doesn't give me the option to choose the song

cids

Re: Sampling????

Post by cids » Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm

How do you open it? Are you sure it's a song without DRM?
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Ruby Red

Post by Ruby Red » Fri May 01, 2009 10:59 pm

honestly this whole technology is very new to me. i'm not exactly sure what a drm is.

cids

Post by cids » Fri May 01, 2009 11:10 pm

DRM = digital rights management. So songs that can only be played in iTunes. More info from wikipedia:

The iTunes Store, run by Apple Inc., allows users to purchase a track online for $.99 US. The tracks purchased use Apple's FairPlay DRM system. Apple later launched iTunes Plus, which offered higher quality DRM-free tracks for a higher price. On October 17, 2007, iTunes Plus became available at the usual $.99 price, replacing the non-Plus tracks.[13] On January 6, 2009 Apple announced at its Macworld Expo keynote that iTunes music would be available completely DRM free by the end of the month. Videos sold and rented through iTunes, as well as mobile software sold through the iTunes App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch, continue to use Apple's FairPlay DRM to in inhibit casual piracy.

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Ruby Red

Post by Ruby Red » Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 am

cool man thanx for the tip!! obviously than these songs are protected than cuz i can't get em. is there a way to check before or after i download them? another question is there any website that i can just get some free acapella tracks for sampling?

Hoitabuam

Post by Hoitabuam » Sat May 02, 2009 3:48 pm

What I've heard(!): Connect the headphone plug to your sondcard in, record it, sample it. DRM does not work with SOUND...

cids

Post by cids » Sat May 02, 2009 3:55 pm

At this moment all content in the iTunes-store is DRM-free, and can be used in Ableton Live. For acapellas, try: http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/.

iTunes music. Now 100% iTunes Plus.
Now, every song available on the iTunes Store is an iTunes Plus song. That means you get high-quality music with 256-Kbps AAC encoding, making every song you download virtually indistinguishable from the original recording. iTunes Plus songs are all free of burn limits and digital rights management (DRM). So the music you buy will play on iPod, Apple TV, all Mac and Windows computers, and many other digital music players.

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2