Trouble with timing of recorded instruments - HELP!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
phoenix224

Trouble with timing of recorded instruments - HELP!!

Post by phoenix224 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Hello,

I've been using Live since version 7, and I use it mostly for electronic music production. I use Logic 8 for guitar based songs.

Lately, I've been recording some guitar and bass parts in Live, and I'm having terrible timing problems.

I'm using Live 8.0.1 on a Mac Pro with 4GB RAM, Leopard 10.5.6.

Here's what happens. I have a MIDI drum pattern playing and the metronome on when I record a bass part. I'm plugging in directly to a Presonus Firepod, and monitoring a zero latency signal using the audio interface'smix control. My playing is tight when I record. When I play back the part, is is lagging behind the beat. If I zoom into the waveform, the transients are all late.

I am guessing that there is some measure of latency I'm getting. My Live samples buffer is set to 220 samples, Input Latency 8.03ms, output latency 8.03 ms for a total latency of 16.1 ms.

So I've been trying two things, with no luck so far. I have gone into the beginning of the bass line waveform, aligned the first warp marker with the first transient, and set 1.1.1 there. The loop still sounds off. I've played around with moving the waveform as a whole by holding down shift and moving the whole waveform with a warp marker. I can move it around OK, but I can't get the timing to sound right.

I've also tried setting the Track Delay parameter on the bass track. If I set it to -27 ms, it sounds better, but still not in time.

This is really frustrating since I don't have this problem in Logic 8. Whenever I record a bass line in Logic 8, the timing is rock solid, just as I played the bass line.

Am I missing something here? Do you really have to adjust the timing of each guitar and bass track you record in Live? Please help!!

Thanks.

phoenix224

Re: Trouble with timing of recorded instruments - HELP!!

Post by phoenix224 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Sorry - I posted in the general forum, then I noticed the bugs and problems forum and thought I might get better response there.

nardi

Post by nardi » Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 am

phoenix224 wrote:Hello,

I've been using Live since version 7, and I use it mostly for electronic music production. I use Logic 8 for guitar based songs.

Lately, I've been recording some guitar and bass parts in Live, and I'm having terrible timing problems.

I'm using Live 8.0.1 on a Mac Pro with 4GB RAM, Leopard 10.5.6.

Here's what happens. I have a MIDI drum pattern playing and the metronome on when I record a bass part. I'm plugging in directly to a Presonus Firepod, and monitoring a zero latency signal using the audio interface'smix control. My playing is tight when I record. When I play back the part, is is lagging behind the beat. If I zoom into the waveform, the transients are all late.

I am guessing that there is some measure of latency I'm getting. My Live samples buffer is set to 220 samples, Input Latency 8.03ms, output latency 8.03 ms for a total latency of 16.1 ms.

So I've been trying two things, with no luck so far. I have gone into the beginning of the bass line waveform, aligned the first warp marker with the first transient, and set 1.1.1 there. The loop still sounds off. I've played around with moving the waveform as a whole by holding down shift and moving the whole waveform with a warp marker. I can move it around OK, but I can't get the timing to sound right.

I've also tried setting the Track Delay parameter on the bass track. If I set it to -27 ms, it sounds better, but still not in time.

This is really frustrating since I don't have this problem in Logic 8. Whenever I record a bass line in Logic 8, the timing is rock solid, just as I played the bass line.

Am I missing something here? Do you really have to adjust the timing of each guitar and bass track you record in Live? Please help!!

Thanks.
hi
just set your buffer to 64 samples. should be no problem on your macpro.
and leave track delay at 0ms...

cheers
nardi

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 am

no need to set the buffer to 64ms. Set the monitoring of the track that you record to to "off", this solves the problem. I just learned that from this thread:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... it=latency
Peter
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

nardi

Post by nardi » Tue May 12, 2009 9:29 am

ok, didn't know that.
i usually monitor through live, so i go for low overall latency instead of compensation.

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 pm

For midi it is in the manual, p506:

Do not enable track monitoring if you are recording MIDI while listening directly to
a hardware device such as an external synthesizer (as opposed to listening to the
device’s audio through Live via the External Instrument device). Likewise, disable track
monitoring when recording MIDI data that is generated by another MIDI device (such
as a drum machine). When monitoring is enabled, Live adds latency to compensate for
playthrough jitter. Therefore, it is important to only enable monitoring when actually
playing through.