live 8.0.3 very weird indeed.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rude_NHS

live 8.0.3 very weird indeed.

Post by rude_NHS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:49 am

it crashs quite alot then quits unexpetedly when you try to recover your work, also, sometimes when i do alt+drag to copy something, like a clip, the clip doesnt copy, instead goes a light colour and sticks to the mouse, and can't be removed unless you restart the program. also i recorded a jam into the arrange window and after recording one of the tracks remained red like it was still armed for recording even tho it wasn't, then when i played the track back it recorded the clip that was playing in the session window, even tho there wasn't a clip playing.

you've gone all weird ableton. what have you been smoking? :mrgreen: sort it out please. thanks.

by the way this happened on my 07 imac 2gz and 2gig ram running oxs 10.5......ah 2? i can check...

master swing

Re: live 8.0.3 very weird indeed.

Post by master swing » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes, I also have several complaints. Today the mixers pan was not working right. Master was panned all left or right, both speakers were still playing. Autopan wasnt working right. Beat repeat is really unstable. Operators lfo to filter is not working (right now). When a sample is offline, I look for it, find it and say yes on "do you want live to search in the same folder", live finds nothing, even thouh all other samples are in just that folder. There were even more issues, don´t remember them all right now, and every now and then a little crash, once without being able to retrieve the work, because it kept crashing every time it reloaded the set.

Oh yeah and the clicks when I have a button midi mapped to a title bar and press that to control a specific device.

It feels like the program is more unstable than ever before.

cids

Post by cids » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi, at least one of the issues you're mentioning is a documented bug which should be solved in 8.04...

On Mac OS X, drag'n drop operation with certain key modifiers could lead to an 'unstoppable' drag'n drop operation [5564]

Maybe it's wise to also upgrade your Mac to 10.5.7???
Mac Pro 2.66Ghz Quad-Core

Genelec 8020; Live 10; macOS Mojave 10.14

Novation ReMOTE 49SL Compact, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:22 pm

why test the new version in private when you can give thousands of people headaches when they do the testing unsuspectingly for you?

bad business model. :evil: :evil:

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi,

Yep - I've had two crashes to desktop today!!!

I haven't added any plugs or synths so not really sure why
this is happening - will post to support.

It's great that the Abes are responding, but there have been
so many fixes it's ridiculous.

The product was not ready to be released.

A fanboy - getting less so :(
MacBook Pro, High Sierra, Live 10, Logic Pro X, Komplete 12, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Camel, Waves plugs.

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:48 pm

I learnt a while ago not to upgrade till everything is good.....sat here very happy on 7.016(stable as fuck) with the upgrade fee burning a hole in my pocket :D

They'll get it bang on in a little while..they always do.....
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

buddyzapfa

Post by buddyzapfa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm also having problems with the drag and drop sticking thing. I also have an issue with how fickle the option-drag in Live is. I have to do it 4 times to get it to work. Today I discovered that I can't do select all (command-A) in midi.
Live 8.2.1 on Macbook 2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS 10.5.7.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Yeah, I have 8.0.1 on my laptop, and 8.0.3 on my desktop. I get way more crashes since I went to 8.0.3. Doing simple editing will randomly shut the system down, and I have to reboot my PC. 8.0.1 wasn't as bad, and version 7 was way more stable.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

Insectec

Post by Insectec » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 pm

yes since i installed 8.3. its become very unstable, I am getting clicks and pops when i change to each channel via my mouse but not with my faderfox?. The clicks get worse and worse till i have to restart. I also get a massive click when Ableton starts via my RME 400, but never had this before. This happens when my cpu use is only at 27%.
"Insectec :)"

Damz

Post by Damz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 am

after the first installation of ableton live 8.0.1 on my macbook white series, the audio stream started to go even worst: first the system started to lag and then shut down the audio while working with live8 (i had everytime to plug in again my presonus firebox or to reboot), after it started to do to the same error everytime while using the soundcard with vlc, for example. something very strange happened also: my macbook started to lag and freeze heavely (more than with live and with some kernel panics also) during youtube HD movies playback.

i tried to plug the firebox in macbook pro (now old series) and it didnt get any connection so, thinking about a audio interface problem, i've buy a RME Fireface 400: many people said that it's an high quality board, thanks also to the drivers that never miss. i tried it with live 8.0.3: worst than ever. same lag as the firebox without the final shut up, but with a not so nice "BEEP" (very very loud guys).
i tried to connect a friend's fireface 800: i had kernel panik at the system start of leopard (worst to worst :D )
all of this has been tried with 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4b, and with 10.5 10.5.6 10.5.7 (many forums said that 10.5.7 has got core audio bugs)
i have to notive that my equipment has been compromised: i've use live 7.0.1 as long as live 8.0.1 has been release without any error, always fine job. after a month of live 8.0.1 ---> lag, audio crackle, NEW AUDIOBOARD (€870), system check, presonuns support, apple center, ableton support, new swears ( u, users, u know how it is when it's like that, u know), no solution has been find and i cant use a firewire board without having the troubles said first. i've close my macbook and i've buy a new macbook pro 13" BUT im VERY VERY VERY afraid to install live on my new mac. i think that this company should test BETTER this software first than SELL to us. maybe my case is very rare, but it costed me something like €1800, and they very are rare also.
my computer always worked fine first than live 8: i loved live 7 and also live 8 during the little time i reached to use it, and i would like to use it again, but i think that im gonna switch to logic pro.
im not asking for a refund, of course (i dont try neither), it's just to inform other users what COULD HAPPEN with this software that is absolutely NOT STABLE, as a lot of users in this forum and that i know say.
we buy your software. we use it cause it's the best for music creation but be careful with releases. we pay them.
DamZ

Damz

Post by Damz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 am

of course nobody of ableton is gonna answer to this post.

bad job this time, guys, bad job

jok

Post by jok » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Damz,

why wouldn´t we answer?

First of all, sorry to hear about all your trouble, I certainly can understand your frustration.

However, please understand that it is technically NOT POSSIBLE that installing and running Live would cause any of the hardware defects you described.

To summarize: you first experienced problems while running Live 8 with your Presonus Firebox. Eventually you would get problems running Live 7 and other audio applications with the Firexbox as well, using your computer´s build in sound card instead was still fine. You wrote me that you did not manage to get a response from Presonus support (bad) - but coming to the conclusion that Live has destroyed all your gear is certainly plain wrong.

In my last email I sent you I requested some crash-logs and additional information in order to identify the problem. You did not get back to me with any infos and got the Fireface instead.... which is your choice of course.

You might want to check the RME website for possible incompatibility issues with the Fireface and the Firewire chipsets used in some Macbook pro models (daisy-chaining it with an external FireWire drive should do the trick if that´s the case). However, an instant Kernel panic after connecting your friend´s Fireface might rather suggest a hardware defect of the FireWire port of your old Macbook, since you experienced problems with another Firewire audio device in various applications before as you wrote.

Again: Live is making use of OS X core audio drivers, but it does not apply any changes to core audio on your system. So having Live installed has absolutely no impact on other applications that use core audio while Live is not running (eg. the VLC player you mentioned). So if you also experience problems with your Firebox while watching a movie with VLC player, then Live 8 is definitely not the culprit.

So: sorry again for the trouble you´ve been going through with your gear, but please understand that Live does NOT destroy any hardware.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Damz

Post by Damz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:43 pm

no guys sorry. im a user. i pass at least 5 hours a day on your software and i have the sensibilty to understand (after 15 years of computer machines usage) when i work with a computer, that something goes wrong. i think the usage that live8 makes of the machine is sick and it's not good for all the components inside it. i had a good computer first and an unuseful computer after a couple of projects with live8. nobody reached to help me, u neither. it's not true that i havent send u the log.txt. i did man, and u answered to contact presonus etc. but, however, after live 8, my computer didnt get as first. can be hardware, software what u want. but it's like this. first good, after bad. all other users noticed that the cpu usage it's CRAZY: they say it's unstable in the graphic interface (gets lag when u move a clip or smthng like this), cpu % goes up and down without any reason, also when play is off, track freeze doesnt give us a lower cpu usage, someone doesnt reach to start it neither.

u judge.

Damz

Post by Damz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 pm

hurlingdervish wrote:why test the new version in private when you can give thousands of people headaches when they do the testing unsuspectingly for you?

bad business model. :evil: :evil:
it's like this

beermilkshake

Post by beermilkshake » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am

Strange. I picked up Live 8 recently and am running it on a white macbook. It was fine for a while but then I got this strange "tshhhhhh" sound appearing every 10 seconds. It's sounds a bit like a TV channel losing reception. I recently bought a Saffire LE (firewire) interface from Focusrite, I assumed it was that that was causing the problems. I had been using it with Live 7 for a short while and didn't have any problems. I put the Saffire LE asside and went back to my FCA202 (from Behringer) firewire interface ( I needed to record) only to find Live 8 producing that same sound every 10 seconds! This is strange because I've been using my FCA202 it with Live 6 and 7 for years with no problems and now all of the sudden, since using Live 8, I get this weird sound. It comes every 10 seconds for 2.5 seconds over and over.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Live has messed up my interfaces, but audio problems have definitely risen since installing Live 8. Problems that didn't exist before.

Help a brother out ?