Audible clicks in Live 8

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
infiniteB

Re: Audible clicks in Live 8

Post by infiniteB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 pm

+1
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

Dmatrix

Post by Dmatrix » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi guys, first post.

I've been having this problem as well and did not have this problem (or at least I don't remember having this problem) with Live 7 Lite. It happens whenever I move clips around, scroll the scroll bars or drag and drop effects... etc. It also happens during unobstructed playback although not as often as the above case. Size and complexity of the project doesn't seem to have a lot to do with it.

System:
Thinkpad T500 notebook
Windows Vista 32-bit
Motu Ultralite MK3

*EDIT* I'll also add that I have my buffer size set to 256 with no pops or clicks on the test tone set to 80% CPU. Perhaps it would be useful for all of us to post our specs as well?

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:53 am

+1

happens when selecting, launching or touching anything with a mouse.
if I have a single audio clip playing and I slowly drag to select some time on the arrange area, the cpu will build to 38%

8.0.4 on a brand new mbp with 8 gig ram, osx 10.5.7 and rme fireface 400

discopimp

Post by discopimp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 pm

same here ... Macbook Pro 2.4 and MacPro 8-core (although it's much better on the MacPro, i still get random clicks)

i have tried everything in the last couople of days to sort this out ... without success. This is definitely a problem in the software, since the clicks are random and don't seem to be linked to the buffer size or CPU load at all.

With a complex project that runs at a buffer of 256 with 20-35% CPU load:

i have a simple audio loop on 2 bars ... the loop is perfect, it's 44.1 and does not have any clicks in it. It's also a perfect loop (start and end on zero-crossings) so why when i have this loop running i'm getting clicks and pops at random locations ... everytime the loop goes round the clicks will be at other places.

it's impossible to work like this ! please fix it asap ...

discopimp

Post by discopimp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:41 pm

wildcon wrote:I also get the clicks on loops even when there is silence at the end so no issue with Zero point crossing.
+1

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:34 pm

bump

amazingrolo

Post by amazingrolo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Add me to this list. Crazy amounts of clicking and popping on my Macbook Pro with 4gb ram. My CPU levels are very reasonable (Live taking around %15 max according to istat pro). I've repaired permissions, reinstalled, etc etc etc. Doesn't happen with Logic, Mainstage, or Max/MSP, only Live 8. very very frustrating.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 pm

At this point I think adding a +1 to this list is a lot like tagging a wall above a urinal.
Sure... It'll get read, but...

Employees must was hands before returning to work.

malutki

Post by malutki » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:45 pm

H20nly wrote:Employees must was hands before returning to work.
unless they pee freehanded like i do,
still managing to write with my urine:

I WOULD SO LOVE TO UPDATE TO A WORKING LIVE 8!!!
BUT OH THE DISSAPPOINTMENT... THE UNSPEAKABLE HORROR...

(sorry for the CAPS, but try writing in pee without 'em.
Maybe we can get the Abes attention by getting Bob Geldof to do a Live 8-Live Aid...)

Love the new powers, but bring back the goodness!
"Make the cake better instead of covering it with frosting!"
I'm going home

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:46 pm

I have more clicks and pops with Live 8. I've been using Live since version 6.

On 6, I only got pops at high CPU loads.

7 was similar to 6 except I would get pops at maybe like 50% CPU usage which wasn't much of an issue for me because I would get a lot done on a track by then which by then freezing would alleviate the issue. I would also get pops due to inserting new sounds on drum racks, which again was relatively minor.

On 8 I can get pops and clicks on usage as low as 10-20% usage. I think this might be VST related though because I typically get issues with plug-ins like Kore 2, Kontakt 3, and IK multimedia plug-ins.

Part of the reason I switched from Sonar to Live was because Live had less pops and clicks when realtime editing stuff and also because Live hardly ever crashed.

Thankfully the latter is still true in Live 8 for me but Live's audio engine is starting to behave similar to Sonar's engine in terms of pops and clicks. And at least Sonar's pops and clicks only tended to happen just when making realtime edits or at high CPU loads. Live tends to pop and click just for playing songs now, (even though CPU use is relatively low).

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 pm

@ jlgrimes are you sure that for you this isn't hardware related? You basically described issues with 4 different DAWs and 3 plugins.

Most of the grumbling here has to do with upgrading to Live 8 and then snap crackle pop... In your case you've got an extra rhythm section that seems to be migrating with you.

thosedamntwins

Post by thosedamntwins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:06 am

I am having the same thing in Live 8. I agree Live 8 seems to have degraded in performance from Live 7. It would be nice to see Ableton's testing process to identify regressions.

TDT
http://www.thosedamntwins.com

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 pm

H20nly wrote:@ jlgrimes are you sure that for you this isn't hardware related? You basically described issues with 4 different DAWs and 3 plugins.

Most of the grumbling here has to do with upgrading to Live 8 and then snap crackle pop... In your case you've got an extra rhythm section that seems to be migrating with you.

I only really mentioned 2 DAWs (Sonar and Ableton).

Pops have always been a problem for me but not at this level.

Sonar would give pops mainly for creating real time edits (moving piano roll note while sequencer is playing, deleting clip while sequencer is playing). Otherwise Sonar would have virtually gap free performance when just playing a sequence and doing nothing but drinking coffee (unless at a high CPU load for Sonar was like 75%).

Sonar had occaisional to frequent (dependent on upgrading to a .0 version or upgrading mainly NI or UAD plug-ins) crashing issues though.

Live has nowhere near the crashing issues Sonar had at any version. When I was on Live 6, I rarely had any pops unless I was at a high CPU load (50% or higher). Live 7 performed similar to 6 except I also would start getting pops when trying to add a new sound to a drumrack while sequence was playing.

Live 8 is different. I now get pops and clicks just for playing a sequence (even at low CPU use like 20%).

I can try Sonar 8 but I haven't composed a midi song in it in a while (mainly since I bought Live 6 in like 07). I use Sonar 8 all the time though for audio recording and mixing and find it to be relatively stable until you start getting above 75% CPU load which only happens when mixing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:53 pm

^ Have you tried any other kind of sound card or mixer?
... or tried changing drivers or buffer settings to your soundcard/mixer?
I said
H20nly wrote:You basically described issues with 4 different DAWs
because each new full version of Live is like a new DAW, at least when it comes to pops and crackles.

I'm not disputing that you are getting pops that could be caused by any of the apps you have used... especially L8, but I'm just wondering if you have an additional issue that you could whittle the pops down to so you can get the annoyance out of your life. I've been there. It sucks.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:13 pm

well. i used to have that aswell but simply thought it was because of my driver hack with my audiophile 2496 (running windows 7), however i recently installed the beta drivers and they are working perfectly. no click and pop anywhere...

well, except in live. infact i just opened up an old projects of mine and consolidated, then flattened each track, and its peaking at 12% cpu usage and its cracking up badly. rendering it out and playing it anywhere else on my computer and it sounds perfect, just in live.

seriously, in a live situation this is simply unuseable.
fix it, or give me a refund. please.