Audible clicks in Live 8

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
buzby

Re: Audible clicks in Live 8

Post by buzby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:11 pm

tigali wrote:) all running on a 6 month old 4GB MacBook Pro.
try checking if you are using the latest version of quicktime
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Vista 32. All right with the drivers, rock solid on my XP machine. I don't know for the graphic card, what's the point with it?
graphics card gave me issues before. I disabled "write combining" to smooth it out. I think the issue was driver related and that change just gave me more headroom, but it worked. I've sinced moved on. I can't remember what my current incarnation of Windows has selected for graphics but I know my mixer's drivers aren't rev upon rev upon rev, which in the end must have been the root cause of all my popping issues because with the same equipment, all latest drivers, no lower driver revs installed (ever), and the fresh OS install has had my monitors knockin for months - glitch factor looooow.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:24 pm

for me its clicks at the loop points of anything that is using complex pro warping mode. was mentioned during the beta, replied to specifically, yet the problem persists. larger buffer size helps minimize the problem, but something's definitely (still) wrong.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi,

Yep - I'm getting cliicks all over the place, even with the CPU at 40%

I have a dedicated DAW that was specifically set up for music.

I also get the clicks on loops even when there is silence at the end so no issue with Zero point crossing.

Very annoying :evil:
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

partyonmarz

Post by partyonmarz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm

i cosign, ableton needs to come out with a fix for this asap.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:32 pm

I can see why people would think this is Ableton's issue, but it might not be. I mentioned in an earlier post that my glitch factor is low however, I do get clicks and pops within various apps sometimes when I first start my DAW. Sometimes its Cubase, sometimes its Ableton, sometimes its FL Studio in all cases I can fix this by quickly changing my buffer size on my soundcard's interface. I just click on the shortcut I have to the interface and switch between 192 and 128 samples. I rarely if ever switch back until it happens again.

Since all 3 apps have the same symptoms and all the 3 apps can be fixed in the same way (without restarting the app) I have to assume that it is either A.) my soundcard and/or its drivers.... or B.) Something more to do with my operating system/background processes at startup. The fix is so painless that I don't really care. Just stop audio playback before you do it or it will take 10 seconds instead of 5 (give or take 3 or 4 seconds).

Dunno... works for me. Maybe this can help a few of you.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

the angus

Post by the angus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:32 pm

H20nly wrote:I can see why people would think this is Ableton's issue, but it might not be. I mentioned in an earlier post that my glitch factor is low however, I do get clicks and pops within various apps sometimes when I first start my DAW. Sometimes its Cubase, sometimes its Ableton, sometimes its FL Studio in all cases I can fix this by quickly changing my buffer size on my soundcard's interface. I just click on the shortcut I have to the interface and switch between 192 and 128 samples. I rarely if ever switch back until it happens again.

Since all 3 apps have the same symptoms and all the 3 apps can be fixed in the same way (without restarting the app) I have to assume that it is either A.) my soundcard and/or its drivers.... or B.) Something more to do with my operating system/background processes at startup. The fix is so painless that I don't really care. Just stop audio playback before you do it or it will take 10 seconds instead of 5 (give or take 3 or 4 seconds).

Dunno... works for me. Maybe this can help a few of you.
I see what your saying But having personally been a live user since version 5 i can honestly say i've never had these sort of pops and artifacts in the ableton sound engine, Which is why i'm thinking it is a problem with live 8. I have recently recorded a simple dj set on live and with my cdjs and the cdjs recording sounds so much better. Pops clicks sound resolution at time akin to a 90kbps mp3 or worse. I have faith that there will be fix but it is worrying that noone from ableton has remarked on this in this thread which is by now pretty big!!
Nuff said....

Dalibor Loncar

Post by Dalibor Loncar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 pm

if it´s not bad dpc latencies (bad drivers / defective hardware) under windows causing your trouble, I bet it has something to do with the plug-in delay compensation (both with ableton native- and vst-plug-ins). I am experiencing some clicks in 8.0.4 also (which weren´t there in previous versions of live), but not in every project/set.

I´ve tried various plug-in buffer size settings in the cpu tab of the preferences and that helped in my case, just try other buffer sizes than the "as audio buffer" setting and listen if the clicks are gone.

could you guys having that issues play with your plug-in buffer size settings and report back?

by the way, ableton does click every time i use the minimize button (every ableton live version I own does this). funnily enough there is no click-sound when i click the "show desktop" icon from the windows xp quick launch bar.

thx

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 pm

scientist wrote:for me its clicks at the loop points of anything that is using complex pro warping mode. was mentioned during the beta, replied to specifically, yet the problem persists. larger buffer size helps minimize the problem, but something's definitely (still) wrong.

+1

nq

Post by nq » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:42 pm

same here with complex pro under mac osx 10.5.7 with a macbook pro unibody 2.4 ghz, 4 GB ram.

yellow

Post by yellow » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Same here on Win XP.

Duke Box

Post by Duke Box » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:04 am

foxymethoxy wrote:
scientist wrote:for me its clicks at the loop points of anything that is using complex pro warping mode. was mentioned during the beta, replied to specifically, yet the problem persists. larger buffer size helps minimize the problem, but something's definitely (still) wrong.

+1
+1

memly

Post by memly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 am

Hi peeps.
I have been experiencing severe pops and cracks and serious CPU spikes within Live 8.
The only way around it was to turn my buffer size up to 1074 which was giving me a latency of half a second.
This is no good for live performance obviously, but it allowed me to playback projects without it cracking up all the time.
I have a Firewire M-Audio Audiophile interface with updated drivers for my Vista SP1 (32bit).

My friend then directed me to a site called www.asio4all.com
I downloaded this ASIO management app and installed it...
Now I'm running the Audiophile at a buffer size of 256 which gives me 8ms of latency and no pops n cracks whatsoever.

It has also stabalized my CPU meter and has greatly reduced the spiking too.

It really seemed to fix all my problems... 8)

mdb

Post by mdb » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 am

Same thing here, i went back to using 7.0.16 because i couldnt stand it anymore.. It would pop and click with one 20 sec wav on one track and nothing else..

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:31 am

:evil: Getting really bad clicks, pops and horrible jumps and stutters. Live 8.0.4. MBP 2.2 Dual 2gb ram OSX 10.4.11

Yes I do use some pretty intense effect chains and some cpu hungry third party plugins.. However this is NOT right to be experiencing such artifacts..

Please Abes, Sort it out!

Hd