Have to export/render audio twice for a file to be created

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
dstroud

Have to export/render audio twice for a file to be created

Post by dstroud » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:51 am

Hi there, I'm running Live 8.0.4 in Mac OS 10.5.7 and when I render/export to aif, I have to go through the process twice for it to actually create the file in Finder.

I do the same export process once, it renders in realtime all the way to completion, and then puts me back in the Live set. I check in Finder (also using Terminal) and there's nothing there at all. I then do the same exact export and it works the second time. This has been going on ever since I've had Live 8 and, as I recall, it also happened back when I was running the Live 8 Demo on a different computer.

Any idea what could be going on?

D.

jok

Re: Have to export/render audio twice for a file to be created

Post by jok » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi Dstroud,

I could not reproduce the problem over here. Do you experience it with any sets? I assume you are using an External Instrument / Audio Effect in your Liveset. Is the option "Auto Restart On Dropout" checked in the export window? Are you using certain 3rd party plug-ins when the problem occurs?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dstroud

Post by dstroud » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Jörg,

Yes, the issue occurs with every Live set. I am using external instruments, but no audio effects. I do have "Auto Restart On Dropout" checked and I notice that it does have to automatically restart almost immediately after I first begin to export, but then it seem to record the rest of the song fine- only no file is output.

Thanks,
D.

jok

Post by jok » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi dstroud,

very strange. Are you 100% sure the file is not there in the first place? Have you tried to re-open the directory to which you export the first time in the Finder? Please also try repairing your hard disk permissions with Disk Utility.

If the problem persist, please contact support@ableton.com with your log.txt attached.
user/library/preferences/ableton/live 8.0.4

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

789lwnm2

Post by 789lwnm2 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:59 pm

I am on Live 8.0.4 & OS X 10.5.8 and reply to this thread, because I have a similar issue that might be related.

I have this set with 2 external Audio Effects patched in. When rendering I get CPU dropouts, "Auto Restart" is turned on. After a succesfull rendering (Live also calculates a analysis file) that follows a try with a CPU dropout the rendered file is not written to disc. spotlight doesn´t find anything. there are analysis files in my trash, that I think are the files from the rendering when no audio file was written..
It is a bit difficult to reproduce, because I don´t have CPU dropouts on every attempt..

CPU load of this project when rendering in realtime is 11%, I also have 1.7GB of RAM free (2.06GB are used).

jok

Post by jok » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi,

does the same problem also occur with 8.0.5?

www.ableton.com/latest_versions

In case it does, please contact support@ableton.com, include your log.txt as described here:

http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/co ... al_support

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

789lwnm2

Post by 789lwnm2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:01 pm

I just tested with version 8.0.5: I can definitely reproduce the error. I sent an email to the support address.

ReasonliveUSER

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 am

this happens to me as well when I check auto restart on dropouts in the render dialogue box. but when I uncheck restart then manual cancel when I notice a dropout and try the render render process again this problem goes away...

I stumbled upon this thread bcuz I was searching for a diff problem I was having.

when ever I render audio from a midi sound module there is a drop out on every time on the first try. then I proceed to do it a 2nd time without changing anything and its renders fine. I was wondering what to do to fix that, maybe change my buffer settings, I don't know?
http://therightbros.blogspot.com
Computer: 2.16Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 17''Imac w/ 500gb internal HD 3gigs of ram on Snow Leopard
Software: Ableton Live 8 Suite & Propellerhead Reason 5
Storage: 5x OWC Mercury Elite 1TB HD
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

789lwnm2

Post by 789lwnm2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:02 am

789lwnm2 wrote:I just tested with version 8.0.5: I can definitely reproduce the error. I sent an email to the support address.
I just tested with 8.2: error seems to be fixed, nice!

ReasonliveUSER

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 am

789lwnm2 wrote:
789lwnm2 wrote:I just tested with version 8.0.5: I can definitely reproduce the error. I sent an email to the support address.
I just tested with 8.2: error seems to be fixed, nice!
try this with auto restart on dropouts box checked on the first render of an audio input and let me know if it works bcuz nothing changed for me on 8.2
http://therightbros.blogspot.com
Computer: 2.16Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 17''Imac w/ 500gb internal HD 3gigs of ram on Snow Leopard
Software: Ableton Live 8 Suite & Propellerhead Reason 5
Storage: 5x OWC Mercury Elite 1TB HD
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

789lwnm2

Post by 789lwnm2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:58 pm

apparently this bug is still present or has been reintroduced in Live 8.2.1

a session with external audio hardware patched in using the External Audio Effect.
I am rendering 4 tracks; auto-restart on dropouts box checked.

Live restarts on dropouts as expected. but when it finally renders without dropouts the mixdown file doesn´t appear on the harddrive.

jsalino

Post by jsalino » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:14 am

I am experiencing this right now with the latest version.

Only files with dropouts save to a hard drive.

edit i found an error on the hard drive containing my operating system. It has been repaired. Will report new findings.