Best Guitar VSTs

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rbf737

Best Guitar VSTs

Post by rbf737 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:33 am

Hey, I was just wondering what VST's you all use for straight in guitar sounds, especially distorted effects, and what you'd recommend? I have one which is decent, but it lags my computer like nothing else when I put it on multiple guitar tracvks, and it's not ideal for every song I'm doing, it's a bit heavy overdrivey. Thanks for the input!

redok

Re: Best Guitar VSTs

Post by redok » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 am

I use Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3. It really gots everything I need!

mattfarmer

Post by mattfarmer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm

I use guitar rig 3 and podfarm plugins. Both work a treat. I also use Izotope TRASH (http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/trash/) which will give you all of the distortions you could ever wish for.
Matt

rbf737

Post by rbf737 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Hey, thanks for the tip on Guitar Rig 3, I just got it and man I feel overwhelmed but I know I'll eventually find and tweak something that sounds cool. My question is how do you guys deal with how much lag it puts on your system? It seems like it's adding 8% of CPU attention for each guitar track I put it on. Eventually when I get into the 80%s it starts to lag and not function, but i have multiple tracks so I need to figure a solution. Ideas?

mattfarmer

Post by mattfarmer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:08 am

Once your happy with the guitar part on a track, then 'freeze' the track and this should free up some cpu usage.
If you need to tweak the guitar settings, then you can un-freeze the track then re-freeze it once the tweaks have been made.
Hope that helps,
Matt.

redok

Post by redok » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:17 pm

+1
I also oftenly record the track with heavy effects on it to a new audio track which helps to preserve a lot of cpu power though you can`t tweak any more settings after that anymore which I ussualy don`t. So if you consider your guitar track done it`s a good option. :wink:

rbf737

Post by rbf737 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Interesting, are you talking like bouncing several tracks onto one assuming they're all exactly how you like it? Regardless of what you meant, how can I do that since I obviously haven't gotten into that aspect of Live? Thanks.