Live 8 crashes when using APC40 to DJ

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
foxymethoxy

Live 8 crashes when using APC40 to DJ

Post by foxymethoxy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello. I am using an APC40 with Live 8.0.4 to DJ. I have 8 channels in my template, 4 of which play audio tracks and 4 that hold dummy clips for their respective tracks, that are mapped to the A and B of the crossfader and I crossfade between the unaffected and affected tracks. However, after about 30 or so minutes of normal use, ableton will crash when I launch either an audio or dummy clip with the APC40. Obviously this is a terrible thing if I am trying to DJ and Ableton shuts down. I have a new Macbook Pro with 2.4Ghz C2D chip and 4 Gb RAM and I am up to date on all of my software. Anyone have any ideas since I have a radio show tomorrow night?

foxymethoxy

Re: Live 8 crashes when using APC40 to DJ

Post by foxymethoxy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 pm

if anybody even has a clue please let me know I have a radio show to play tomorrow night

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:37 pm

I'd try an earlier release of Live 8, like 8.0.3, 8.0.3 or even the last Live 7 but you'd have to build the set over again.

do you have enough empty drive space for the OS to run? wireless internet turned off? is there some service that's kicking in every half hour? stuff like that...

keep an mp3 player handy. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:14 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I'd try an earlier release of Live 8, like 8.0.3, 8.0.3 or even the last Live 7 but you'd have to build the set over again.

do you have enough empty drive space for the OS to run? wireless internet turned off? is there some service that's kicking in every half hour? stuff like that...

keep an mp3 player handy. ;)

just reverted to 8.0.3 to no avail. plenty of drive space, wireless off etc. i have turned off everything other than what is going to be used tomorrow so idk. i'm going to try my old MBP in a second here to see if that helps.

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:43 am

ok so I have now tried the same set on my other computer and it still seems to be crashing at about the same place :(

it's bad news because my crap still doesn't work, but it's good news in that at least I know it is either the set itself, the apc's interaction with ableton, or just simply ableton that is glitching. if anyone would like a copy of my dj template please just ask, as long as you have the apc40 so you can test this

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:48 am

sure.

tonedeftsucks@yahoo.com

if you mail the template to support@ableton.com they can tell you exactly what's going on. if they can get to it, they get lots of e-mail, I have no clue what they're turn around is. actually, try it with a beta version of the software, get it to crash and do a 'bug reporting snapshot.' the beta releases have code in them that tracks exactly what you did, they can play back your actions and investigate. no need to include audio.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:25 am

ok i sent you the two files. i'll try to send them to ableton too but i'm afraid i might be sol for tomorrow's gig

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:53 am

okay another update, the APC40 is not required to make this set crash. so, it must be something within live that is making it crash

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 am

downloaded the set (w/o audio.)

imported a song into track 1, made a loop.
launched it and tweaked the set a bit, played with the routings.
imported a song into track 2, made a loop.
launch, played with the routings, CPU goes to 200%-500%, set crashed hard. Live 8.0.4.

there are pretty big audio racks in each track, might be the problem.

bring an mp3 player.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:13 pm

well i installed the latest beta last night and all seems to work, so hopefully my luck will carry into tonight. there's always some damn problem with my crap that I have to figure out before a gig. fucking audio *shakes head*

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 pm

open those racks, do you really use all those effects? those things are massive. I've seen it with some presets that come with Live, there were effects left in the chains that weren't being used but ate up CPU. I think Ableton cleaned them up in later releases but it can be a problem.

count how many effects you have running at once, in hindsight it could be close to 100. 4 tracks, each with 4 racks of at least half a dozen effects. that's a LOT of CPU.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz