Midi Setup: Sending SysEx dumps to Akai MPK49

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
richardk

Midi Setup: Sending SysEx dumps to Akai MPK49

Post by richardk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:25 am

Hi,

I'm setting up Live 8 with the Akai MPK49. I'm in Live's preferences, the MIDI tab. Live recognizes the MPK. Help says that if the Dump button is enabled, I should perform a preset dump, and this should only be necessary once. I press the button, nothing seems to happen (I would expect the Dump button to become disabled).
I believe I have the controller in the right mode to receive SysEx dumps.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

jok

Re: Midi Setup: Sending SysEx dumps to Akai MPK49

Post by jok » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Richard,

the Akai MPK 49 should be fully functional with the included 'Live lite' factory preset, no need to apply a dump.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Jakelow

Post by Jakelow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Well Jok, i'm not with you on this one yet. I've also tried to dump midi to my MPK25 as well without any luck.

The reason why I want to do this is that there seems to be only one-way communication between my MPK and Live. I mean the controller doesn't pick up the midi signal from any rotary wheel/fader in the host, like the AKAI APC does.
On the other hand, sending a midi dump to the Behringer BCR2000 works smoothly (but I don't need it, I mainly use the BCR to control RMX).

Okay, I could turn the "take over mode" to "value scaling" in the midisettings, but this causes a problem with the push buttens of the BCR controller, (the don't react instantly with "value scaling" on) so I need to set it to "none" to solve this problem.

I am working around with midi for quite some time now, but it's very hard to dig.

Talking about Live and midi. I realy hope Ableton and Novation will soon solve their communication problem of recording Automap automation smoothly. (don't know who is to blame, but I know Automap works excellent with Cubase :)

Programming Live's midimap is very easy, BUT WHY CAN'T WE SAVE MIDIMAP PRESETS !!! (like we can with Novation's Automap)

Cheers,
Low

kovac

Post by kovac » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi all!
I am having similar problem with my MPK61, and have not found solution for this on the web, maybe we can work something out in this thread. Here is what I have so far.
1. Live Lite factory preset from MPK does not give you transport controls in Ableton Live (full version)
2. Although MPK manual says it is posible to dump sysex presets into MPK this feature does not work for me; manual says you have to be in preset mode, and simply "play" sysex to MPK. Well I tried that by dumping control surface preset from Ableton Live's preferences window just like Jakelow, I even tried sending MPK61 (and MPK49) sysex preset file from Ableton Live's program files (from ...resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/MPK61) using MIDI OX.
3. I am quite shure tha all the I/O is set right (which is obvious by using MIDI OX, as you can see all the data going from and to MPK)
4. I have not found a way to send Abletons Sysex preset file using MPK's Librarian software (haven't found a solution on Vyzor forum either) It seems to me that Librarian only works with its proprietery SoundQuest files sending and recieving whole "set" that is all 30 presets in MPK (I know you can edit every preset by itself but have not found a way to save or send a single preset yet)

My conclusion from what I've seen is there is eiter:
1. something wrong with Sysex Remote Preset file/script for MPK61 (not shure about other MPK presets) provided with Ableton
2. something wrong with MPK61 not listening to incoming Sysex data

If someone has figured out anything concerning this I would be very grateful, also is there any chance of someone from Ableton comenting on this problem as it seems there are more of us with this problem.

Thanks

kovac

Post by kovac » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 am

It works!
Hey People, today I plugged in my MPK61 and lounched Live opened MPK61's and Lives manual with an intention of manually maping MPK61's buttons and knobs to Lives controls i started reading manuals, Started Live lesson for seting up control surfaces, went to preferences switched off "remote" button beside MIDI ports on my RME multiface 2 interface (which I don't use for MPK61, as I use MPK's primary MIDI IO tried the transport buttons and they work!, faders, pots and switches also. I thought remote button for RME midi ports was the cause somehow, switched it back on but the controls still work. I'm not shure what did the job.
I posted this because I could not find any answers to the original problem, so as my problem got fixed i thought it was usefull tu post it. So to answer myself from the previous post.
1. It seems sthat something "unlocked" the supposed functionality I'm not shure why, maybe sysex actually worked but it needed restart of either Ableton, or MPK or remote function for soundcards MIDI ports.
2. I didn't find anything on MPK that would indicate that it is ready to receive sysex dump i did change transport controls to MIDI though but haven't notice any change of (dis)functionality at the time.

There is a chance everything did its job as expected but for me it was a painful expirience maybe the manual of either MPK or ableton lacks some crucial information that is driving people mad as i found quite alot people complaining about the same problem not getting any answers. I think that both Ableton and AKAI should take a look at that problem.
Cheers, now I have to go and play with my new toy :-)