Scaling time for a MIDI clip - am I missing something?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
TomSwirly

Scaling time for a MIDI clip - am I missing something?

Post by TomSwirly » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:04 am

I don't seem to find this basic feature.

I have a MIDI clip. I'd like to stretch it so it's twice as long, or just a little longer. I've used many other sequencers and there was always some way to do it - "Stretch Time" is the usual name - but I can't seem to find it here.

If it were a sample clip, I could do it with warp markers, but I don't see how to stretch a MIDI clip.

It is *not* MIDI Note Stretch - that changes the lengths of the notes, not the time between them. Setting the tempo is no good, it gets overridden when I play the clips.

It should be so easy, what am I missing?

posssu

Re: Scaling time for a MIDI clip - am I missing something?

Post by posssu » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:50 am

You can select the midi notes you want to scale and right-click one of them. There should be something called "Stretch notes" or something. This will scale the selection. However, it won't scale the CC-data, so it won't work for example on piano parts, since sustain pedal won't get scaled.

I've been wishing for midi warping (stretching midi with warp markers to enable stretching them to wanted tempo), but so far it's not there yet. Lets they'll add this one day into Live.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:15 am

So MIDI note stretch is as close as it gets.

But the inability to move the continuous controllers is a serious flaw in the program. It means that the MIDI note stretch moves events out of order, which basically breaks my tracks.

This is a very strange omission. "Stretch time" has been one of the basic things in my repertoire with every sequencer - even in toy sequencers - because it's so easy to implement.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am

To the left of the piano roll for a midi clip there is a Notes tab. Check there for the x2 and :2 buttons or adjust the Orig. BPM field manually.

hollandaze

Post by hollandaze » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Not sure if this is the same solution, but I want to stretch or squash a single sampled sound bite (not a midi note, but a sampled sound) regardless of tempo. I have a sound that's too short for the space I want it to fill, so I want to drag it out a bit, or I have a sound that's a bit too long for the space I want it to fill, so I want to shorten it. Both without effecting the pitch and both not really tied to bpm.

Any ideas?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 am

That's what warp markers are for, unless i'm misunderstanding what you want.