Live 8 crashing constantly under Windows 7 RC 64-Bit

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Satellite

Live 8 crashing constantly under Windows 7 RC 64-Bit

Post by Satellite » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:03 am

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is having any luck running Live 8 under Windows 7 RC 64-Bit? The program crashes (BSOD) fairly regularly on my Sony VAIO laptop (specs below) when I adjust warp markers or MIDI notes in the clip display. I've been told that blue screens are almost always the result of a hardware driver error. However, changing the audio driver from the E-MU Tracker Pre ASIO driver to either the MME driver or ASIO4ALL (v2.9) doesn't help. So I don't think the issue is related to flaky drivers for my E-MU audio interface (which works fine with other audio programs running on my laptop).

If anyone else has been successful running Live 8 under the 64-Bit version of Windows 7, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks!

Sony VAIO VGN-SR430J laptop: 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, ATI HD 4570 with 512MB VRAM, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM drive, E-MU Tracker Pre USB 2.0 interface

mbenigni

Re: Live 8 crashing constantly under Windows 7 RC 64-Bit

Post by mbenigni » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Bump.

I've gotta say, Live has been borderline useless for me for months now. Support for Vista 64 was nil, and now Windows 7 64-bit is looking even worse. Why is no one talking about this?

bouke

Post by bouke » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm

To be honest, I've succesfully run Live 7 in Vista x64 for a very long time and now I've installed Live 8 in Windows 7 - until now (two nights) everything is working fine.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:29 pm

bouke, that's great! When you say you're running Windows 7, do you mean 32- or 64-bit? And what revision?

Probably more important - what audio interface are you running? It sounds like my problem is with audio drivers vs. Windows 7, rather than Live vs. Windows 7. I've got a Presonus Firepod, a Mackie Onyx Satellite, and a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1. You'd think between the three of 'em I'd be able to get some love.

With these generic, intermittent stability problems... it can be difficult determining whether the OS is to blame, the app is to blame, or the hardware/ drivers are to blame.

Hope to hear more, until then I'm back on my XP laptop.

Anyway, thanks.

nicktem

Post by nicktem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:51 am

Hey, mbenigni. Did you get AudioKontrol 1 working on Windows 7 RC 64-bit?
Is it a cracked copy? Maybe thats why? Because I am thinking about changing over to Windows 7 for the mean time before I get my Mac and I use a AK1 and need to know if its going to stuff up on me or not?

spherehead71

Post by spherehead71 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 am

I'll add my previous post here hope it helps.

First, I have fixed my problem. I'm posting this hoping it will help others and spark discussion.

I am running Windows 7 64bit on an HP HDX18T with Ableton Live 8 and an Echo Audiofire4 interface.

The problem I was having was severe audio pops and massive CPU usage. Even with Live at idle CPU usage would fluctuate wildly.

Playing something was really impossible. CPU would almost max out.

My solution after trying many many things:

1. Using Asio4all instead of the Echofire's asio drivers
2. Running Live in Vista SP2 compatibility mode

I'm guessing this is mainly a driver issue but I also know that Ableton does not officially support win 7 yet.
So far my fix is working. I know Asio4all isn't very stable but for the time being it's working. BTW my latency is set to 512 samples on the Audiofire and 256 samples in Asio4all. Setting all latency to the same setting causes slight pops. I'm not sure why that is the case. Maybe someone here knows.

Anyway, I really hope this helps others.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:16 pm

@nicktem, no, not a cracked copy. Live 8 is legit, and Windows 7 is a release candidate available through an MSDN subscription. To be honest, I haven't even tried the Audio Kontrol 1 yet, since NI has flatly stated no driver support since XP. Those guys aren't even trying LOL. The whole reason I bought the Mackie Onyx was because it was the only device I found with official Vista 64-bit support, and for this reason I figured it was my best bet for Windows 7 64-bit.

I recently rebuilt my XP laptop with a fast SSD, so I'm primarily using that now (which is great.) But when I have time to tinker I will apply some of spherehead's advice, and try ASIO4ALL with the AK1 and Live running in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

(I swear it's 1997-ish all over again. "Are these drivers Windows ME compatible??")

nicktem

Post by nicktem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:30 pm

haha. yeah you're right. thanks for the reply, much help.

bouke

Post by bouke » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:51 am

Sorry for the late reply - but I'm running Windows 7 x64. My audio interface is a Focusrite Saffire which comes with 64-bit driver and is doing a quite good job. I've got an output latency of 11ms or something...

In fact: I've let my laptop on for two days (didn't had time to save after a late night session), come back (and while screen was still black) - hit my Lemur to launch a clip - bam, instant playback and I was tweaking Live again :D .

dctucker

Post by dctucker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 am

I've tested Live 8 in Windows 7 x64 RC, and I've come to the conclusion that running it in Vista SP2 Compatibility mode renders the least problems. However, there is still an issue or two. Although I can set my Presonus Firepod to 4ms latency and configure Live accordingly, there is the issue that Sampler eats up CPU cycles (not reported in Live's CPU meter, but in Task Manager) on one of the cores on my E6600 Core 2 Duo. Live 7 seems to perform the same way; 40% usage even when playback is stopped for about 5 minutes after instantiating Sampler into a track - be it my sampled drum set, or my upright with 88 samples. I wonder if it's due to the fact that it's caching or something... in any event, it performs slightly worse than on Windows XP Pro 32-bit, which is what I use for serious production.

spherehead71

Post by spherehead71 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:43 pm

I just wanted to chime in again to let everyone know that my setup has been trouble free. See my previous post above for my system setup. I'm also using an APC 40 along with my MPK 49 controller and I love it!

The only little annoying thing is that I have to go through a very specific procedure to get everything going. First I start or resume Win 7, then I turn on the Audiofire, next I disconnect then reconnect the USB cable on the MPK 49 then I turn on the APC 40 and finally I start up Live.

This isn't really an annoyance now that I've got it figured out.

I have been using Live with NI Komplete and other various VST's for the past two weeks with no problems.

I also discovered this past week that my firewire, vid card, usb ports and multicard reader all share the same IRQ. Despite this my setup is still working fine so have hope people it is possible, just takes LOTS of trial and error.

Just remember that Live does not yet officially support Win 7 so we are sorta on the cutting edge and have to keep that in mind.

Let's keep the useful info flowing.

Edit: I forgot to mention I am using Readyboost with Win 7.