Ableton Live lagging on a Mac Pro?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Icct_Hedral

Ableton Live lagging on a Mac Pro?

Post by Icct_Hedral » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm trying to get answers over at apple.com, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone's had the same issue.

Recently, my 2x2 core 6gb ram Mac Pro on 10.5.8 started lagging painfully when I run Ableton Live (8.0.4). It's ridiculously slow, and I can't figure out why. Long story short, it only happens with Live in Leopard, and only Live - the rest of the system runs fine when it's not launched. Starting up from an earlier install of 10.4, I found that Live worked normally, so that led me to reinstalling Leopard on my other drive. I did, and it runs a little faster (+2%?), but it's still essentially unusable at this point.

The one thing I noticed in the Activity Monitor when I ran Live in Leopard, was this nasty little process called 'WindowServer', which was gobbling up >50% CPU, with Ableton at 15% or so. With Live shut down, 'WindowServer' only uses .5% CPU. wtf? I know 'WindowServer essentially draws everything onscreen, but why such a CPU hog w/ Ableton?

dontask100

Re: Ableton Live lagging on a Mac Pro?

Post by dontask100 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 pm

No suggestions at this point: just following your plight.
Icct_Hedral wrote:I'm trying to get answers over at apple.com, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone's had the same issue.

Recently, my 2x2 core 6gb ram Mac Pro on 10.5.8 started lagging painfully when I run Ableton Live (8.0.4). It's ridiculously slow, and I can't figure out why. Long story short, it only happens with Live in Leopard, and only Live - the rest of the system runs fine when it's not launched. Starting up from an earlier install of 10.4, I found that Live worked normally, so that led me to reinstalling Leopard on my other drive. I did, and it runs a little faster (+2%?), but it's still essentially unusable at this point.

The one thing I noticed in the Activity Monitor when I ran Live in Leopard, was this nasty little process called 'WindowServer', which was gobbling up >50% CPU, with Ableton at 15% or so. With Live shut down, 'WindowServer' only uses .5% CPU. wtf? I know 'WindowServer essentially draws everything onscreen, but why such a CPU hog w/ Ableton?
music@dontask100.com
soundcloud.com/dontask100

njazz

Post by njazz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:18 am

the same problem :( MacBook 4.1, 10.5.7, 8.0.5, 4Gb RAM ...
any ideas?

wackazong

Post by wackazong » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:26 pm

I just had this with snow leopard and live 8.2.6 and it went away after I deleted the ableton cache files (in ˜/Library/Caches) and restarted everything.