Bad clicking and popping using APC 40

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
AceLuby

Bad clicking and popping using APC 40

Post by AceLuby » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 pm

I just got a new machine, have only gone online once to download updates about a week ago and other than that have only used Live on it. If I don't touch anything the sound is fine, but it will pop, crack, and stutter every time I do basic functions on the APC such as switch devices or switch track focus.

Here are my PC specs:

2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB Ram
nVidia GeForce 9500M GS graphics card
M Audio Firewire Solo sound interface
APC40
Novation SL 25
MPD18
nativeKontrol MT interface for the APC
Automap 3.0 for the Novation

What I have tried to solve the problem is the following:

1) Shutting down all non-essential processes
2) Disabling the wi-fi and ethernet
3) Disabling the graphics card
4) Increased the buffer to 512
5) Disabling the dual core in the preferences

I haven't tried disabling the nativeKontrol or Automap yet as they are essential to what I'm doing. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I searched, but I didn't see anyones solution except for what I've already tried.

Thanks in advance.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

AceLuby

Re: Bad clicking and popping using APC 40

Post by AceLuby » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:32 pm

So I did some playing around last night and here are the results.

Bringing the buffer up to 1,024 seemed to help the most and it still seemed reasonably lag free, but once real music is playing (not the test tone w/ 80%) I get crackles every time I use the APC to switch tracks, switch devices w/in a track, change banks w/in a device, or change the bank that is selected.

Turning automap for my novation did nothing.

Turning the MT player off helped a little w/ the test tone, but once music was playing the cracks came back.

I should also note that when I don't use the APC and use my mouse I get the same effect when switching tracks, devices, turning MIDI map on, or turning the key map on.

Maybe it has to do w/ my sound driver interacting w/ Live? Seems like the on screen stuff is interfering w/ the sound signal...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Turn off all of the other midi outputs in Midi Preferences, did the trick for me!

Cheers
D

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Ok, so I optimized my machine per this:

http://www.audioforums.com/windows-vist ... zation.php

And have cleared out EVERYTHING that I'm not using to free up some CPU clocks. I started it up and STILL got the pops and clicks.

I turned off the automap and MT program that were running and disabled ALL unnecessary processes. Only thing running was Live and every time I moved to another track I got a pop/crackle. Almost everything represented on screen has a small pop to it.

I'm going to try unplugging all my MIDI devices and see if that's it.

It could be that I have too much going on, but my CPU NEVER gets above 50, so what gives?

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 pm

All right, so I restarted Live w/ nothing and couldn't reproduce the pops, which is the good news as it isn't live's fault (Thank god!). So...

I plugged in the APC40 and disabled the MT program (from the output like S4 suggested)... no pops and clicks. Restarted and tried it again w/ the MT program... pops and clicks are back.

So I plugged in all of my MIDI devices and tried it again... what do ya know but I can go through w/ VERY minimal pops... at least it's workable... but now I have this $35 program that is really useless.

I'm going to write an email to Stray the designer of the nativeKontrol interface for the APC. He may have a suggestion of how to fix it, but I'm glad that THIS is over!

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:04 am

I have a Mac with MT Player and Apc40 with zero pops and clicks.

If your CPU is at 80% something isn't right.

Make sure your audio inputs are turned off and make sure you don't have any poorly designed VST's open.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:24 am

Yeah bomes works for me, i just can't have midi outputs going to another device as well....

Cheers
D

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:29 pm

gabrielsaint wrote:I have a Mac with MT Player and Apc40 with zero pops and clicks.

Make sure your audio inputs are turned off and make sure you don't have any poorly designed VST's open.
The 80% is when I use the test tone. My CPU NEVER gets over 50 w/ real music, but the pops and clicks only happen w/ the real music... I shouldn't have pops and clicks at 50%.

It is possible that automap is interfering with it. I did try it w/only the APC plugged in, but it was still selected in the MIDI preferences. I'll try disabling it when I get home and start everything up w/out using automap to see if that was the culprit. I'd much rather have the MT player than automap.

I'll hold off on my email too.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:25 pm

AceLuby wrote:
gabrielsaint wrote:I have a Mac with MT Player and Apc40 with zero pops and clicks.

The 80% is when I use the test tone. My CPU NEVER gets over 50 w/ real music, but the pops and clicks only happen w/ the real music... I shouldn't have pops and clicks at 50%.

It is possible that automap is interfering with it. I did try it w/only the APC plugged in, but it was still selected in the MIDI preferences. I'll try disabling it when I get home and start everything up w/out using automap to see if that was the culprit. I'd much rather have the MT player than automap.

I'll hold off on my email too.
It's definitely the MT player. I had automap turned off, only output was to the APC and I still got the clicks. Restarted live and still got the clicks. Turned off the MT player and set the APC up normally and the clicks went away.

It's definitely the software interfering, not terrible for at home, but impossible to use live.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Apparently it was the setup instructions. I turned off everything except the APC40 in the MID preferences as a controller surface and it worked perfectly. Added in Automap and it still worked. I'm stoked!