can i use the apc40 simultaneously with other controllers?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
meowzah

can i use the apc40 simultaneously with other controllers?

Post by meowzah » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 am

hi,

whenever i try to use my novation nocturn and/or midi keyboard in conjunction with the apc40, the apc40
stops working.
what can I do so I am able to use all of them at the same time?

meowzah

Re: can i use the apc40 simultaneously with other controllers?

Post by meowzah » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:01 am

okay i got the nocturn to work with the apc40...

i was able to find a thread where it was suggested to turn the controllers on in order with apc40 as the first...

but now i still need to get my midi keyboard to work... even when i turn it on last, the apc40 refuses to work.

i on live 8.05 on a macbook pro, btw.

oh, and is it normal to hear static hissing coming from the apc40 ?
live 8.0.9
macbook pro 10.4.11

roajah

Post by roajah » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm

hi
hissing is never a good sign. some soundcard settings perhaps.
i am not an expert so i don't know the reason or the fix.
i have 2 controllers also but never tried to use them both, i will when i leave from work and let you know how that went [i have vista, apc 40 and m audio oxygen 8]

meowzah

noise

Post by meowzah » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 pm

well. the unit seems to be working fine...
I don't know of "hissing" is the right description.
...but it does make these high frequency staticky noises that apparently have something to do with the led lights going on and off.
i really hope this is normal. someone please tell me they also hear them !

still have to get the keyboard to work, but I got sidetracked by getting monomulator working on it
:D
-highly recommended!

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:43 pm

About the noise, does it happens when your mac book isn't plugged to power (i.e. only with the battery ?)

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:00 am

it sounds like a groundloop to me, maybe a buffer size issue?. there is alot of good info in this forum. do a search.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

meowzah

Post by meowzah » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:17 am

dinaiz wrote:About the noise, does it happens when your mac book isn't plugged to power (i.e. only with the battery ?)
i always hear the noise whenever the apc40 is turned on regardless of whether my macbook is plugged in or running from battery.

meowzah

Post by meowzah » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:22 am

mazmith wrote:it sounds like a groundloop to me, maybe a buffer size issue?. there is alot of good info in this forum. do a search.
i dont know much about this groundloop business...

i sort of did a google search on it, and read the wiki, but im too drunk to comprehend it right now...
so basically if this is a "ground loop", is this a problem i can take care of ? ... or should i return it?

joelbgwu

Post by joelbgwu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:06 pm

I have a similar issue. I completely dismantled my system and did the following with a ground loop isolator and still had the same problem.

Instrument ----> audio interface ----> computer

It's strange because I have no feedback problems with cubase using the exact same setup. My audio interface also has a ground lift switch that should fix that without the ground loop isolator.

This is the post i just submitted before seeing this:

I seem to be getting a ground loop type feedback (very faint in the background) when recording audio in live 8. This is not caused by the monitor switch which I have set to off. The weird thing is I don't get any feedback when using the same equipment/setup/computer with cubase. I am using the an emu USB tracker for my audio input and the device has the same settings between the two programs. I have also introduced ground-loop filters at the input source and still no luck. The only thing I can think of is that ableton picks up a wider range of frequencies than my version of cubase, which doesn't make sense to me because I thought that was determined by my emu audio interface?

meowzah

Post by meowzah » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 am

oh im over the noise...

I read this whole thread... http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117191
and have decided that its not a big deal at all.

i just still need to figure out how to work apc40 and the nocturn at the same time, however,
but I haven't even seriously tried to do anything about it yet. I'm stuck on playing with monome apps...
live 8.0.9
macbook pro 10.4.11

stealthbopper

Post by stealthbopper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

meowzah wrote:okay i got the nocturn to work with the apc40...

i was able to find a thread where it was suggested to turn the controllers on in order with apc40 as the first...

but now i still need to get my midi keyboard to work... even when i turn it on last, the apc40 refuses to work.

What a pain. I have a similar problem (see my thread @ Support Corner/APC40 - problem of Live not recognising)

I had Novation's Automap software installed for using with a Nocturn and Remote SL37, which was apparently blocking the APC40's MIDI functionality (in Live's Preferences) and preventing it working. I tried switching off Automap, changing the order of switching on, etc but without success. Automap was launching itself with Live and stopping the APC40 working.

I have just temporarily uninstalled Automap and the APC40 now works fine so the problems was obviously incompatibility.

Does this mean the APC40 and Automap are mutually exclusive? Is this a result of rivalry between Akai and Novation at the expense of the customer?

Great as the APC40 is, this presents a choice if the cost of using it means no Automap, making my Nocturn and Remote SL37 redundant.

I would be very interested to hear how you got the Nocturn (Automap) to work with the APC40. I think if no work around is possible the APC40 might have to be sacrificed....
http://www.soundcloud.com/stealthbopper
Mac OS X 10.6.8, Saffire Pro14, M-Audio MidAir25, APC40, Novation SL37 & Launchpad, Alesis M1 Active Mk2

stealthbopper

Post by stealthbopper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 pm

stealthbopper wrote:
meowzah wrote:okay i got the nocturn to work with the apc40...

What a pain. I have a similar problem (see my thread @ Support Corner/APC40 - problem of Live not recognising)

I had Novation's Automap software installed for using with a Nocturn and Remote SL37, which was apparently blocking the APC40's MIDI functionality (in Live's Preferences) and preventing it working. I tried switching off Automap, changing the order of switching on, etc but without success. Automap was launching itself with Live and stopping the APC40 working.

I have just temporarily uninstalled Automap and the APC40 now works fine so the problems was obviously incompatibility.

Does this mean the APC40 and Automap are mutually exclusive? Is this a result of rivalry between Akai and Novation at the expense of the customer?

Great as the APC40 is, this presents a choice if the cost of using it means no Automap, making my Nocturn and Remote SL37 redundant.

I would be very interested to hear how you got the Nocturn (Automap) to work with the APC40. I think if no work around is possible the APC40 might have to be sacrificed....

In case it helps, I uninstalled then re-installed Automap and now the APC40 is functioning as it should and works properly alongside my Automap-using hardware (Nocturn, ReMOTE SL) - so the issue is now resolved.

It appears to have been an application conflict (?) but the re-installing process seems to have been effective. Perhaps worth a try.

p.s I also noted the order of switching on : APC40 then Nocturn / ReMOTE SL then Live

p.p.s others might not have found any difficulty with this but I was pleased have got a Behringer AB200 Footswitch set up with the APC40 to use Looper effectively + move scenes
Mac OS X 10.6.8, Saffire Pro14, M-Audio MidAir25, APC40, Novation SL37 & Launchpad, Alesis M1 Active Mk2

meowzah

Post by meowzah » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm

meowzah wrote: i just still need to figure out how to work apc40 and the nocturn at the same time, however,
but I haven't even seriously tried to do anything about it yet. I'm stuck on playing with monome apps...
oh i meant to say im still trying to get the midi keyboard to work with both nocturn and apc40, thats right i did get the nocturn to work...
live 8.0.9
macbook pro 10.4.11

meowzah

Post by meowzah » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm

stealthbopper wrote: I would be very interested to hear how you got the Nocturn (Automap) to work with the APC40. I think if no work around is possible the APC40 might have to be sacrificed....
I had to use separate usb ports...
because originally i had the apc40 and nocturn on a usb hub plugged into one usb port.
but they seem to both work at the same time when i use separate usb ports for each device.

its the apc40's problem because i had the midi keyboard and nocturn working off the same usb hub/usb port fine.

I bet there has to be a way around having to use separate usb ports tho, through tweaking the bus settings or whatever.
live 8.0.9
macbook pro 10.4.11

stealthbopper

Post by stealthbopper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:28 pm

meowzah wrote:
stealthbopper wrote: I would be very interested to hear how you got the Nocturn (Automap) to work with the APC40. I think if no work around is possible the APC40 might have to be sacrificed....
I had to use separate usb ports...
because originally i had the apc40 and nocturn on a usb hub plugged into one usb port.
but they seem to both work at the same time when i use separate usb ports for each device.

its the apc40's problem because i had the midi keyboard and nocturn working off the same usb hub/usb port fine.

I bet there has to be a way around having to use separate usb ports tho, through tweaking the bus settings or whatever.
Ah, interesting - thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the usb port issue but will bear that in mind