Problems with monitoring while Cue'ing, or monitoring

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
icrepscule

Problems with monitoring while Cue'ing, or monitoring

Post by icrepscule » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:50 pm

I was wondering how to cue, or monitor a selection from track B, while Track A is playing. This is during a DJ set. I have a M-Audio, Fast Track Pro USB midi hub and have it plugged in, but is this necessary? I have one output for my computer speakers.

I can't seem to figure this out.

Help!

-icrepscule

evolwizard

Re: Problems with monitoring while Cue'ing, or monitoring

Post by evolwizard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Here is a response to this question I posted some time ago, I just copied/pasted for ease..I hope this helps.

This was difficult for me to figure out at first as well and my forum post yielded only a mildly amusing, sarcastic reply. So I'll detail for you how I figured out this problem. I use a macbook pro, an m audio fast track ultra audio interface and my home stereo to monitor. The fast track ultra hooks up to my laptop via USB. The fast track ultra is then hooked up to my home stereo via 2- 1/4 outs (I use 5/6 for master out) adapted to RCA cables into my stereo's aux. input. I open the fast track ultra's software interface and turn the software returns of 1/2 up. (I am told these are physically linked to the #! headphone port on the fast track ultra.) This will be my cue setting. Then I turn the software returns up on 5/6. This will be my master out. (Since the fast track ultra has 2 headphone ports and #2 is physically tied to channels 3/4, I reserve this channel for the second headphones. That why I use 5/6 for master out). Then I open Live. I go into preferneces and make sure my audio input device and output device are set to recognize the fast track ultra. Also make sure all channels being used ae configured. then in Live, I set master out to 5/6 cue out to 1/2. Now in your Master channel, you'll see the Solo/Cue toggle near the bottom. Make sure Cue is activated. Now create 2 tracks and put a different clip in each and hit play. Now pay close attention to this part because this is what initially confused me. Now for the clip you want to cue, activate the solo button (between the track activation button and the arm button), I know you'll still hear the cue track through the master out at this point but then all you have to do is de-select the track activation button, (the big yellow square at the bottom with the track number on it.) and this should allow you to hear the cue track only through the headphones and the active track through your speakers. this is how I figured out the problem and if anyone reading this sees a better way to do this or if I'm doing something wrong, give me a heads up. good luck.
...to the prelevator....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
=======================================================
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II
Ableton Live 7 Suite Boxed-Reason 4

icrepscule

Post by icrepscule » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Well this is where your response gets confusing. What software from your Fast Track interface are you talking about. I put the M-Audio CD in and it has the install/uninstall menu up. Or I can select the drivers I want to download. Do I turn the returns on in ableton?

I have a consumer grade bose computer speakers with 2 sets of RCA's. I set is free and 1 set has RCAS already plugged into it.

I take an RCA cord and plug it into the 1/2 slots of my output on my interface into one of the slots on my speakers.

Then I don't know what else to do. I Was routing a tape player through the signal of my computer, that is just making it way too confusing to figure this out, so i took that out of the chain.

I really appreciate your responses,

icrepscule

evolwizard

Post by evolwizard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:34 am

Have you read the manual for the fast track pro?
...to the prelevator....
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II

icrepscule

Post by icrepscule » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Yeah I've been reading and trying to configure it this morning. WHenever I open my sound preferences in system preferences, FAST TRACK PRO comes up and whenever I click it I get this message, "You cannot open FAST TRACK PRO preferences because it does not work on an intel based Mac"

I emailed M-Audio. I'm really just frustrated by now.

evolwizard

Post by evolwizard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:35 am

have you updated your drivers lately..straight from the m-audio site?
...to the prelevator....