Slow livepack install on Windows 7, Ableton 8.0.5

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
AbletonJunkie

Slow livepack install on Windows 7, Ableton 8.0.5

Post by AbletonJunkie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:33 am

I've just installed Windows 7 (a few days ago) and noticed an update for Ableton 8.0.5.
I've come to install it, and the few updates to the Ableton Library are taking an age to do (like 1 file every 4 seconds).
When it had finished, it told me there had been only a partial update to the Latin pack. Something to do with not being able to delete a .AbletonPreset file in one of the Latin folders.
Just to be on the safe side, I went into my ableton prefferences and removed it.
Now I'm trying to re-install it, each install is taking about 1 hour (again huge pauses copying files) and when it finally finished, it said it had only partially installed it (but this time with no details of which files were not correctly installed).

Has anyone any idea whats happening?

I've tried running it as administrator (which I changed from the actual application folder).
I've checked my Ableton library security properties (I did restore from a full backup after installing windows 7 - but everything looks cool, I have full access).
I've tried running it in Windows Vista compatability mode.

Still slow as hell installing these packs?

AbletonJunkie

Re: Slow livepack install on Windows 7, Ableton 8.0.5

Post by AbletonJunkie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:56 am

Sorry, I may have solved it with Sys Internals Process Monitor.
I'd set windows search to scan all my music storage folders automatically, seems that may have been slowing it down (and possibly causing some kind of file sharing errors while installing the live packs, not sure on that last one, will get back to you).

AbletonJunkie

Post by AbletonJunkie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:15 am

No, still don't get this.

Does it really take like 3 seconds to copy each and every file in an Ableton pack?
In a file like Latin Percussion, that's 3 seconds X 2,700 and odd files.

I've disabled anti virus and windows search and it's still taking an age.
The files are only like 48kb each!!! 3 seconds? What's going oooooooooooon?

Is this a problem with Ableton or my Windows 7? I can't remember it taking this long on Windows XP?

sanfoin

Post by sanfoin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:36 am

I wondered the same thing when I was doing that not too long ago. Live packs take a long time to download.

At least they don't take as long as the upgrade to 8.0.5... :?

Pooks

Post by Pooks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I am getting the same issue on my windows 7 machine, I upgrade my Macbook Pro two days ago and did not get same problem, although it did take a while to install everything.

Vors

Post by Vors » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Same problem here, everytime I update, it takes about an hour and a half after installing to upgrade the library, really breaks the flow...

...oh wait did you fix it in 8.09 or is it just updating less stuff??

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I have the same problem, running 8.1.1 on Win7 64bit with Intel quad core Q6600 and 4 GB RAM.

It seems that accessing the files in the library is something like a bottle neck. It does not matter if virus protection is on or off. I also tried the WinXP compatibility mode.

Installing any Live pack is slow. From what I can tell from the progress dialog, Live is able to copy something like 2 or 3 files per second. Likewise, when I try for example the "manage library" functionality, rebuilding the index (or whatever Live is then doing) takes ages.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance, best regards, Martin

Vors

Post by Vors » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 pm

This is still a problem for me, any progress?