Annoying clicks when turning on/off FX

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
vdrum

Annoying clicks when turning on/off FX

Post by vdrum » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:31 pm

Hey,

I use Live 8.0 in a live situation and have s bunch of VST FX on my master channel. I use push buttons to create 1 and 2 bar breaksduring live preformance (im an eDrummer). The effects I use are Effectrix and Big Seq (both GREAt BTW). So I have mapped the on/off switch to a midi button and my Killamix.

Everytime I use this technique, I get a REALLY annoying click which tends to turn heads in a live show. I really hate to abandoned this technique cause it sounds awesome...with the exception of ...well, you get it!

Im using a MOTU Ultralight and a MAC MBP. The Ultralight is set to 256 samples.

Any thoughts?
thnx
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

pip

Re: Annoying clicks when turning on/off FX

Post by pip » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Instead of toggling the on/off button for the VST effect itself, try grouping your VST effect into two parallel chains with Utility devices as follows:

Chain 1: VST Effect - Utility
Chain 2: Utility

Map the Gain on each Utility to your midi button, and set the ranges in midi map mode as follows:
Utility 1: [Min -35db] [Max 0db]
Utility 2: [Min 0db] [Max -35db]

This should avoid the clicking!

I believe there's a global delay compensation in Live, and enabling/disabling some VSTs causes that to glitch, or perhaps it's an issue with the way VSTs handle their audio buffers. Or perhaps it's some black magic voodoo.

Rock on,

--Pip

vdrum

Re: Annoying clicks when turning on/off FX

Post by vdrum » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Many thanks Pip...Ill try that!
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.