numbers appearing in front of midi devices in preferences

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
peeddrroo

numbers appearing in front of midi devices in preferences

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:04 pm

already posted this in the general forum but got no answer.

on 8.0.9, the midi devices appear with a number in the preferences tab. for instance i will have
2- Launchpad
3- RemoteSL

the problem is that if i change the midi ports they are plugged to, the numbers change, so next time i will have
3- Launchpad
5- RemoteSL

thus i need to set everything again, otherwise my midi devices won't work. this is particularly unconfortable in a live situation when you don't have much time to setup.
i'm on Win7
please advise

peeddrroo

Re: numbers appearing in front of midi devices in preferences

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 am

what's up ableton support?

i've sent a support form more than 1 week ago (about a different issue) and still got no answer.
i've known the support more reactive!

about this issue: can someone check how their midi devices appear in the preferences on 8.0.9? especially on Win7, and when changing USB ports.
thanks

dom

Post by dom » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Strange, technical issue and maybe something missing in your support request? log.txt etc?
There's a lot of feedback at the moment due to the M4L Beta, Live Intro, Ableten etc. and if stuff is missing other get the priority.
Having a quick look i found an unlock request of yours last week, it got answered at the same day.

Your USB, Win7 question here at the top would be something for Novation, we have no influence regarding how the devices and their drivers get registered in the OS.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

yeah, you guys sure have plenty to do!
thanks for the answer, i'll report later with more info.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:38 pm

ok, here's a simple test you can try:
install a midi device on your computer.
add a USB hub (preferably for the first time, so that it will add a driver for it) and plug the device to it.
the device should have a different name in the preferences (a prefix number is added) and hence is not recognized, you have to set all the preferences (sync, remote) again.

that means on my system, i have to do it each time if i don't plug the right devices to the right ports. painful in a live situation.