FS-5U Boss pedal switch with LOOPER

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
3vil3mpire

FS-5U Boss pedal switch with LOOPER

Post by 3vil3mpire » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:54 pm

How esactly am I to connect the FS-5U pedal so that I can use it to trigger LOOPER as you would a regular loop pedal. I have a novation midi keyboard that has sustain and expression pedal jacks (I use currently both). Is this where you would plug in the FS-5U?

Thanks

3vil3mpire

Re: FS-5U Boss pedal switch with LOOPER

Post by 3vil3mpire » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:53 pm

so how bout them replies : ) ANYONE????

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:31 am

3vil3mpire wrote:How esactly am I to connect the FS-5U pedal so that I can use it to trigger LOOPER as you would a regular loop pedal. I have a novation midi keyboard that has sustain and expression pedal jacks (I use currently both). Is this where you would plug in the FS-5U?

Thanks
I tried exactly the same combo(FS-5U & ReMOTE SL) and couldn't manage it to trigger Looper at all!?! I tried both jacks sustain and expression... Midi monitor shows me the incoming CC# but I can't map the play/record button to the incoming CC#?

tim_is_superduper

Post by tim_is_superduper » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Was there ever an answer to this? I've got a remote sl37 and am looking to get a footswitch to control looper. The boss fs-5u looked a good sturdy option but then I saw this post! If it won't work through the sl, is there a way to connect it straight into ableton directly to start/stop looper?

exper

Post by exper » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:52 am

Same here, nothing. Which is weird since it will still function as a sustain... Anyone have other cheap options?

wheat

Post by wheat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:33 am

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was stuck with the same problem and found a solution for it. I posted my fix over at the Line 6 forums (http://line6.com/community/thread/51863), since I'm using my BOSS FS-5U with a Line 6 TonePort UX2, but I'll summarize some of it here as well, for the benefit of others who might still be struggling with it.

The basic idea is that Looper's Multi-Purpose Transport (MTB) button requires the pedal to be in momentary mode and to send an ON message (i.e. val = 127) followed immediately by an OFF message (i.e. val = 0).[1] I've been using CC64 for this (as someone, somewhere, in some forum said TonePort requires it to be so), but that may not be a necessary requirement.[2] The reason it needs an OFF to follow each ON is so it can distinguish between a single click and a click-and-hold (i.e. undo/redo, while looper is running, or clear buffer, when looper is stopped).

So, the tricky bit is how to map a pedal that sends two values (a 127 when it's pressed down and a zero when it's released) properly. And the trick to that is to enter MIDI map mode, press-and-hold the FS-5U, then exit MIDI map mode before releasing the pedal. This ensures that the first value (i.e. the down value) gets mapped. If you release the pedal before you exit MIDI map mode, Live will assume you're just giving the MTB a different value (i.e. 0) and will ignore the first one. That trick (though not specifically referring to Looper) is in the MIDI/Sync FAQ: http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/midi_sync#faq_2_link

MIDI Monitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/) was a great help in figuring this out.

[1] Based on Live's reference manual, any MIDI value 64 or above should count as an ON and any below 64 should count as an OFF, but I haven't tested it and 127 vs 0 is easier to read in the settings.
[2] Having screwed around with this for days to finally get it working, I'm really done testing scenarios at the moment. If you have time on your hands, feel free.