Akai MPD 24 midi map mode

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
stethoscanomaly

Akai MPD 24 midi map mode

Post by stethoscanomaly » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 am

Hi, I'm using an Akai MPD24 with Live 8. I have the MPD selected as a control surface in Live's preferences and Live is receiving midi from the MPD, but I am unable to map Live controls to the MPD knobs and sliders. I activate midi map mode by clicking midi up in the corner of Live, and then I select the control I want to map to a knob, say for instance, dry/wet in a reverb device, and then I wiggle the knob I want to use on the MPD to control the parameter but no mapping results. That is, nothing comes up in the midi maps screen, and nothing appears above the control in Live and I am unable to control the parameter with the knob. I feel like maybe I'm missing something obvious and stupid but I have no idea what to do! please help! thank you :).

ShelLuser

Re: Akai MPD 24 midi map mode

Post by ShelLuser » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 pm

A very late response but heck, better late than never ;-)

Its not you, its Live. And I wonder if we're not talking about a possible shortcoming here which might only be solvable with M4L (for now at least).

Situation: Your MPD24 sends its signals using a (changeable) midi channel. But Live picks up the midi signals on the "Midi track in". You can see this for yourself when pressing a button on the MPD24; you'll notice a the yellow block in the upper right corner blink (right to the D indicator).

However; a controller like the APC40 sends its signals using the "Key/Midi in". You'll notice as much when you press a key on an APC; it'll make the top square flash which is located between the key and midi mapmode keys.

Check the Info view (hit ? or select the arrow in the lower left corner of your screen) and hover over both "midi signal indicators".

Notice how it talks about "remote-control assignments" (these can be mapped) and plain "usable midi messages".

The MPD sends the latter, so Live refuses to map those. Which seems very silly to me since the "midi mapping mode" will respond if you press buttons on the MPD and actually shows a mapping.

However; Live simply won't respond to the incoming midi data when you mapped it. Only when it knows internally about certain buttons (like the start/stop/rec buttons).

Bottom line: its not you, it seems to be a Live issue. Possibly changeable behavior with M4L, but that's a little bit over the top for me :P A shame though, would have been nice to be able and use buttons like << and >> which you'd otherwise never use with Live :?
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Komplete 12.
Blog: SynthFan

jan jeffer

Post by jan jeffer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 am

hi,

i had an absolute nightmare trying to get my MPD 24 to work with ableton

turned out that i needed a firmware update for the MPD

be warned!!!!! the new update doesn't load onto the MPD with the AKAI updater

the update is sent to the MPD via a SYSEX message, when you send it via the AKAI app the message freezes at the last min.

to get around this i downloaded sysex librarian A SNOIZE Production

loaded up the new firmware and BINGO - worked a charm

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:53 pm

jan jeffer wrote:be warned!!!!! the new update doesn't load onto the MPD with the AKAI updater

the update is sent to the MPD via a SYSEX message, when you send it via the AKAI app the message freezes at the last min.

to get around this i downloaded sysex librarian A SNOIZE Production

loaded up the new firmware and BINGO - worked a charm
hmmmm... very interesting this... I can't get the love out of my MPD... ShelLuser swears it can be great, and I believe him, but it just won't step up... anyway... this is my sticky note so I can find this thread again.

Peace.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

tyrosine

Post by tyrosine » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:21 pm

I have an MPD32 and it works fine. Always has, before and after updating the firmware. Granted, the MPD32 is not the MPD24, but I can't imagine there's much difference.

Still, I have noticed that sometimes you need to turn a knob through the full range of CC values before it will be picked up by Ableton.

Apart from that minor issue, I'd recommend updating the firmware. Akai's control surfaces are great and you'll be glad you got it working.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:36 pm

tyrosine wrote:Still, I have noticed that sometimes you need to turn a knob through the full range of CC values before it will be picked up by Ableton.
this seems to be the way with more than just the MPD series. my Remote Zero and Axiom 25 pretty much act the same way.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

jan jeffer

Post by jan jeffer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 am

i got a few messages asking how i got my MPD 24 working so here goes;

step 1

download the firmware update "mpd24_v1_10.zip" funnily i couldn't find this on akais website just there so if you can't find it email me and i will send it

step 2

Use the Vysex software to remove the old firmware - there are step by step instructions in the Vysex help on how to do this.

Your MPD is now a useless plastic box - as there is no firmware installed

try uploading the new firmware via Vysex. This is unlikely to work but is still worth a shot.

At this point panic set in for me! The firmware is sent to the MPD as a sysex midi message - for some reason the Vysex software will not send this properly so.....

step 3

you need to download an alternative piece of software capable of sending sysex meassages.

i used 'Sysex Librarian' which you can find here http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

step 4

use the new piece of software to send the firmware update to your MPD.

i can't really remember how i did this - i don't think it was very complicated just try it out, it should be self-explanatory

And thats it - the MPD24 worked as expected after that - I have also being playing around with the auto-map script which I recommend you check out when you are up and running.

all the best,

Jan Jeffer

www.soundcloud.com/jan-jeffer

jan jeffer

Post by jan jeffer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 am

H20nly wrote:
tyrosine wrote:Still, I have noticed that sometimes you need to turn a knob through the full range of CC values before it will be picked up by Ableton.
this seems to be the way with more than just the MPD series. my Remote Zero and Axiom 25 pretty much act the same way.
i know what u mean about turning the knob all the way b4 it does anything seemingly - have you experimented with 'Takeover Mode'? This determines knob/slider behaviour in relation to current parameter position and may well solve your issue.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:15 pm

thanks Jan.

will try it all...

tyrosine

Post by tyrosine » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:57 pm

jan jeffer wrote:i know what u mean about turning the knob all the way b4 it does anything seemingly - have you experimented with 'Takeover Mode'? This determines knob/slider behaviour in relation to current parameter position and may well solve your issue.
Is that mode a setting in Ableton or on the Akai? Haven't noticed it before. Please elaborate if you have time. This is a minor issue, easily fixed, but I do find myself remapping controls a second time because I don't remember to turn the knob all the way around.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

It's a setting in Live.
Options/Preferences/MIDI Sync/Takeover Mode VALUE SCALING

That's how I have it set and it works with my Akai MPK49.
tyrosine wrote:
jan jeffer wrote:i know what u mean about turning the knob all the way b4 it does anything seemingly - have you experimented with 'Takeover Mode'? This determines knob/slider behaviour in relation to current parameter position and may well solve your issue.
Is that mode a setting in Ableton or on the Akai? Haven't noticed it before. Please elaborate if you have time. This is a minor issue, easily fixed, but I do find myself remapping controls a second time because I don't remember to turn the knob all the way around.
Custom built quiet Intel E6700 based PC, Echo Mia MIDI, Win7 64bit, Akai MPK49, Akai LPD8, Korg nanoKONTROL (which I don't realy use anymore), Ableton Live, Reason