max4live crashes at startup

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kfoo

max4live crashes at startup

Post by kfoo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi,
just bought Max4Live, installed Live 8.1 and MaxMsp 5.1, started Live and authorized. When I start any Max4Live effect, instrument whatsoever it immediately crashes the app. Had the same issue with the Beta Version.
I'm running Live on Windows XP SP3.
I also uninstalled Live completely, deleted all old Preferences, deleted my Max Preferences, reinstalled Live 8.1. Nothing helped.

kleine

Re: max4live crashes at startup

Post by kleine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Hello,

Did you also try to delete your Live Preferences.cfg?
You might send me your Log.txt

•Windows (Live 4 and later versions): C:/Documents and Settings/yourusername/Application Data/Ableton/Live/Preferences

Best,
Christian

el_camello

Post by el_camello » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:03 pm

same problem.

sent full preferences folder zipped.

hope the problem gets sorted out soon. i don't know why i bought this on the first day.

kleine

Post by kleine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:51 pm

What happens if you delete the whole preferences folder and restart Live?

Best,
Christian

el_camello

Post by el_camello » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:48 pm

a blank error message pops up. same thing happens when live starts. emailing newly created preferences folder with log.

*edit*
a blank error message pops up, then i open live as usual and try to drag a max device.

kfoo

Post by kfoo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi,
i deleted the preferences folder and restarted Live and still it crashes when m4l is loading.

el_camello

Post by el_camello » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:13 pm

getting the same error ("A Serious Error Has Occured...") when I drag a .rx2 file. with the max devices the error message would pop up once i let go of the mouse button. but for .rx2 files it pops up the second the file hovers over the session view. don't know how related these things are... but its the same error message and both happen when thing get dragged.

@ kfoo:
could you try to replicate this. i want to see if this error is related to our max4live problem. just get any rex file loop (.rx2)

can someone who's max4live works try to open a .rx2 file?

kfoo

Post by kfoo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 pm

jep.. cannot load any .rx2 file.. but i think the msg box is just the standard crash msg, so it might not have anything to do with our problem.
anyway: I also cleaned my system from all Max versions, runtimes etc., deleted all preferences folders and reinstalled MaxMSP 5.1. again. This also didn't help, so I have two shiny new installed programs, authorized and it's not working! FYI i got the Crossgrade, so I own both Live and Max Licences. Both programs work perfectly on their own.

I guess, this thread describes the same problem for the beta version:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 00&start=0

kfoo

Post by kfoo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:10 pm

has anyone else reproduced this on Windows XP SP3 yet? sorry for my impatience, but i'd really like to use what i just bought :)

[tow]

Post by [tow] » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:59 pm

The problem with the rex/rx2 files is unrelated and handled in this thread: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130185 (already filed btw).

Concerning the Max for Live issue: please provide us with as many information as you can give: operating system, machine (i.e. CPU etc) and logfiles. Meanwhile, instead of just deleting the preferences, you could try to uninstall both Live 8.1 and Max, carefully rename (or delete, if you got back-ups) any folders that contain Live or Max specific prefs etc. and do a really fresh installation.
Best,

Torsten

meekspeaker

Post by meekspeaker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi all, I just sent this to Ableton support - I thought it might be worth posting here if anyone fancies comparing notes etc...

Hi, I have recently purchased Max for Live and it does not work. I have installed Live 8.1 and followed the instructions for authorizing and installing Max (several times).

Every time I try to drag/drop or open/double click a Max device in Live I get the following dialog box with message either immediately or afer a short pause:

"A serious program error has occurred. Live will shut down after this message box is closed."

I click OK and it delivers on this promise promptly.

Here follows details of my current setup:

HP Pavilion AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.41Ghz, 2Gb Ram, Windows XP SP2, Live 8.1, Max 5.1, Novation X-Station, Novation Remote 37SL (Automap 3.3).

I have spent many hours troubleshooting, re-installing both Max and Live, did a repair library in Live, removed VST folders one by one. I uninstalled Windows SP3 and reverted back to SP2 to no avail. I've tried removing preferences from Lives Application data folder, uninstalled older versions of Live I still had, deleted all associated files and folders. Uninstalled Max, deleted all associated files I could find, re-installed. I have tried many different combinations of removing and changing parameters in Lives preferences within Live itself (sorry far too many to list and/or remember).

In short I was up nearly all night trying to figure this out. I have come to the conclusion this is beyond my limited understanding of computers and must be some sort of very annoying bug.

There is something else I noticed which may or may not have any relevance at all. Within the Lesson/Help view I click on the "View the full list of Ableton Lessons" section and then the "Max for Live" section I get a lesson that first states "Welcome to Max for Live. Max for Live is either not authorized on thie machine or is not correctly installed." etc etc. this seems strange to me but may be jsut a general message within the lessons...? As you can see from my above comments I have auhtorized several times and can confirmed both on the Ableton website and within the User Account Licenses tab of the preferences that Max for Live is authorized on my computer and I have most definitely installed Max.

I hope you can find a reason and solution to this frustrating issue as I'd really like to dig in. I would like to add I did have this same issue at the beta stage and did send a crash report email which I did not ever have any reply to. I bought this product assuming that this would not be an issue for a release version...

I have been following these 2 topics in the Ableton forum with some interest and obviously this is not an issue I am alone in.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 0&start=15

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130115

If I have any more information I will let you know. For the time being the only other thing I can add is the attached Log.txt file.

Good luck and all the best, Caleb
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.41Ghz, 2GB Ram, Ableton Live 8.0.9, Novation Remote 37SL, Novation X-Station 25 - http://www.myspace.com/meekspeaker

"...i didn't mean to call you a c**t i meant to call you a tosser. that was a bit harsh..."

TriangelKlang

Post by TriangelKlang » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Hai There

Which of you here bought Max for Live and still have problems
with loading a Max device from the device browser in Live.
Do you get a splash screen, crash?

My question is
Have you used a Max trial for 30 days in the past.
and you didn't buy it?

In other words, did you let the max trial expire?

Like to hear from you,

:wink:

Vista, core 2 Quad, 2,33 GHZ, 3,00Gb RAM, E-MU Tracker Pre or Lexicon Omega

meekspeaker

Post by meekspeaker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 pm

TriangelKlang wrote:Hai There

Which of you here bought Max for Live and still have problems
with loading a Max device from the device browser in Live.
Do you get a splash screen, crash?

My question is
Have you used a Max trial for 30 days in the past.
and you didn't buy it?

In other words, did you let the max trial expire?

Like to hear from you,

:wink:

Vista, core 2 Quad, 2,33 GHZ, 3,00Gb RAM, E-MU Tracker Pre or Lexicon Omega
Yeah I would have done that - probably when I first downloaded the beta....I think
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.41Ghz, 2GB Ram, Ableton Live 8.0.9, Novation Remote 37SL, Novation X-Station 25 - http://www.myspace.com/meekspeaker

"...i didn't mean to call you a c**t i meant to call you a tosser. that was a bit harsh..."

kfoo

Post by kfoo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:15 pm

yep.. i also let my trial period expire in the past.. at least for max.. but my full version of max msp works perfectly.
i still have the same problem. the support team already gave me a patched dll which produced additional debug logs and i hope that they are working on it. i can't stand reading all the blog posts about how cool max4live is and what new possibilities you get anymore :)
it's good(??) to know, that you have tried everything already, so i won't get any crazy ideas about reinstalling xp or so.
i guess without the source code and a debugger we can only blindly guess what the problem is, so waiting is now the only option.
but i'm just curious.. can anybody use max4live on windows xp?

djthopa

Post by djthopa » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:34 am

Same here,

I followed the instructions on the ableton site, reauthoirze my computer, and max4live crashes.

Also I couldnt authorise my max 5.1 because when choosing authoirze trough the internet I get a missing dll system error, and aparantly Cycling is closed for thanksgiving day.

Not only that, I got an email from ableton saying i had used all my unlocks, which is wrong since my computer was already authorised.

I had a previous copy on trial of Max 5, and the trial period has expired.

Im on windows xp, sp2 and completely unable to use Max4Live